Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

I have drawn up a plan of the baseboard size and configuration. I have extended it far enough to include the access ramp from George Square and the adjacent buildings. The split down the middle is at a platform face so won't be readily noticeable.

20200328_134900.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Page showing the slip coupling: https://dewi.ca/trains/glasgow/pix/n12_3_1.jpg

Hope Jim doesn't mind me linking to his own page about Queen St. - i know you have the track layout, but his diagram shows the signals: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20100128011153/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/queenstreet.html

Good luck with the 'old' Queen St.,  the façade was such a recognisable part of Glasgow before it was blocked in - the station also looks more cramped and busy too!

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 18:40, keefer said:

Page showing the slip coupling: https://dewi.ca/trains/glasgow/pix/n12_3_1.jpg

Hope Jim doesn't mind me linking to his own page about Queen St. - i know you have the track layout, but his diagram shows the signals: 

https://web.archive.org/web/20100128011153/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/queenstreet.html

Good luck with the 'old' Queen St.,  the façade was such a recognisable part of Glasgow before it was blocked in - the station also looks more cramped and busy too!

Amazing to think the "new" layout is now out of date!

Jim

This is the first tangible progress on the layout itself. These are photos of baseboard 1 in my schematic. This is the George Square end of the layout with the station access ramp. It is probably the most difficult to make because of the change in level. I used parts from a White Rose kit and adapted to suit. Baseboards 2,3,4 & 5 are rectangular (900 x 600) and flat and are already made, not by me but by the good folks at White Rose who are much better at cutting straight lines than I am. Baseboard 8 is similarly a regular shape (1200 x 600). I will make baseboards 6 and 7 by bashing bits from 2 more White Rose baseboard kits.

20200408_151244.jpg

20200408_151414.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All 8 boards are completed now and all joined together. I put the drawing of the station throat pointwork in roughly the right position. I will have to adjust to take account of the  baseboard joints , but it is looking promising. Hope everyone is staying well.20200423_103339.jpg.150ce8b1e728daac83858a742ad87fc7.jpg20200423_103438.jpg.c53128cda934b8051a4728530536c36c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have decided on a slight change to the original plan and I have not laid a centimetre of track yet! I am going to add 20cm to the George Square end so I can model the full width of the road in front of the North British hotel to include the tramline. I had so many bits left over from the baseboard kits I thought could be put to good use

• Like 2

My version of Glasgow Queen Street is being erected in the loft right now, but that is a temporary home for it. The plan is to make a shed , of sorts, for it in the garden. I did think to post this in the 7mm+ section of the forum, rather tongue in cheek, since the shed will be a 1:1 replica of the body of a LNER 4wheel passenger brake. Mostly it is an exercise in carpentry, albeit on a big scale. 9 feet high, 9 feet wide and 32 feet long. Attached is a 10mm:1ft drawing derived from cutting sections from the David Jenkinson/ Nick Campling book from a full length brake, and a photo of the surviving example in Norfolk

20200502_201040.jpg

LNER passenger brake 003.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I had not appreciated that Queen Street had been through several guises over the last 60 years until I saw your plans. My own memories stem from the 1980's when I spent many happy hours using the station as a base for some desperate haulage moves to Stirling on the express trains and places like Bishopbriggs, Lenzie and Croy on the loco hauled locals.

If I wanted a single book that provided a history of Queen Street over the last 60 or so years, could you make any recommendations? 

My memories of Queen Street are from the mid to late seventies. The station was full of Class 27's and Class 101 Metrocam DMU's. I am too young to remember the time period I am modelling.

I have not found a single book dedicated to Queen Street. However there are 3 books, all relatively cheap and available second-hand on eBay or Amazon that together will give you a flavour, photos of each attached,

Details as follows,

Glasgow Stations, by Colin Johnston and John Hume, 1979, published by David & Charles, ISBN 0 7153 7569 5. This has a chapter on GQS. It concentrates on the early years and the 1960's remodel.

Glasgow Railway Memories by WAC Smith and Paul Anderson, 2001,published by Irwell Press, ISBN 1-903266-09-2 and

An Illustrated History of Glasgow Railways by the same authors and publisher,1993, ISBN 1-87-1608-33-3. Both these have some interesting pictures and a lot of detail of trains using the station in 1947,1950 and 1960

Over the weekend I managed to source a copy of the Scottish Region Timetable for 1959-60. That will be an interesting read when it arrives.

20200504_124641.jpg

20200504_123949.jpg

20200504_123735.jpg

• Thanks 1

Managed to get a copy of the Scottish Region Timetable for 1959/60. There is much of interest. Notably all the trains that are diesel hauled are identified in the timetable. I wonder how many times in this period passengers were met with steam because of diesel failures especially in the Class 21 era. Also it is interesting to note that during this period Sunday services which normally went from Buchanan Street to places like Inverness and Aberdeen ran from Queen Street. I can see from the timetable that there is an occasional weekday train which does this too

20200509_105822.jpg

20200509_105926.jpg

20200509_110030.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

David,

I have the same publication for June 1964. If that would be of interest to you I'd be happy to share the relevant Queen Street diagrams. I'm not sure how much the timetable changed in that five years.

I also have a train marshalling document for September 1964 that might be helpful, if you don't already have it.

For context, I'm modelling the Perth area 1962-64.

Best

Scott.

This is a great project ! But if you're planning crossovers in the Tunnel, make sure they are easily accessible for maintenance, the real ones gave us enough trouble !

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

34 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

David,

I have the same publication for June 1964. If that would be of interest to you I'd be happy to share the relevant Queen Street diagrams. I'm not sure how much the timetable changed in that five years.

I also have a train marshalling document for September 1964 that might be helpful, if you don't already have it.

For context, I'm modelling the Perth area 1962-64.

Best

Scott.

All would be gratefully received.

Many thanks David

33 minutes ago, caradoc said:

This is a great project ! But if you're planning crossovers in the Tunnel, make sure they are easily accessible for maintenance, the real ones gave us enough trouble !

Thanks, sound advice re the in tunnel crossover.

Best

David

Away from the layout I have been working on an addition to the loco roster. The attached will be D49, 62708 Argyllshire.

It is a bit of a hybrid. Only the loco chassis is new, coming from the current Hornby Railroad Hunt. The body is from an old tender drive Hornby Shire. This was a non runner picked up for pennies. Using it means I did not need to remove steam pipes as I would have had to do with the Hunt body. The tender is a second hand Bachmann -from the D11. It is a good match for the Great Central type tender which most of the Scottish Shires had. The Hornby models all have an LNER Standard tender.

So far I have removed the front coupling, shortened the bogie, fitted coupling and steam and vacuum pipes,checkerplate step in front of the smokebox, new lubricator, thinned the reversing rod. Still to do - fit smokebox door handle, sandbox filler caps sandbox and pipe, brakes in front of the leading drivers, ejector pipes behind the cab footsteps and cab handrails

It has all gone well so far.

As a bonus the tender has  21 pin decoder socket and space for a speaker all set up

20200511_153230.jpg

20200511_153621.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/02/2020 at 09:09, Joseph_Pestell said:

How do you plan to present the layout for good viewing? Stations in deep cuttings like this pose a problem.

I have been thinking about this question for some time. I really want to have walls on both sides of the cutting. So my solution is (first) I have lowered the layout to a height of 28 inches. Also I will construct the near wall (viewing side) in such a way that only the portions supporting the bridges and the signal box are fixed. In between I will be able to fold the wall down for a better view , and to take photographs at ground level. Gives me the best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 27/04/2020 at 12:23, David Bell said:

I have decided on a slight change to the original plan and I have not laid a centimetre of track yet! I am going to add 20cm to the George Square end so I can model the full width of the road in front of the North British hotel to include the tramline. I had so many bits left over from the baseboard kits I thought could be put to good use

I finally got around to building the additional board. The extra space does look better. There will be lots more cobbles to paint though!

20200517_105623.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2020 at 13:09, David Bell said:

My memories of Queen Street are from the mid to late seventies. The station was full of Class 27's and Class 101 Metrocam DMU's. I am too young to remember the time period I am modelling.

I have not found a single book dedicated to Queen Street. However there are 3 books, all relatively cheap and available second-hand on eBay or Amazon that together will give you a flavour, photos of each attached,

Details as follows,

Glasgow Stations, by Colin Johnston and John Hume, 1979, published by David & Charles, ISBN 0 7153 7569 5. This has a chapter on GQS. It concentrates on the early years and the 1960's remodel.

Glasgow Railway Memories by WAC Smith and Paul Anderson, 2001,published by Irwell Press, ISBN 1-903266-09-2 and

An Illustrated History of Glasgow Railways by the same authors and publisher,1993, ISBN 1-87-1608-33-3. Both these have some interesting pictures and a lot of detail of trains using the station in 1947,1950 and 1960

Over the weekend I managed to source a copy of the Scottish Region Timetable for 1959-60. That will be an interesting read when it arrives.

20200504_124641.jpg

20200504_123949.jpg

20200504_123735.jpg

These are all great books . Another good source is Steam Days magazine . You used to be able to order back issues of it and there are a few from the 90/00s  that are probably what you are looking for :-

Steam Days  August 2004  contains Gladgow(Queen Street) in the 1950s and 60s . Nice plan of station  and a good few pictures 

Steam Days April 1997  The Edinburgh to Glasgow Line
Steam Days November 1996 Glasgow Termini 

in these days it was published by Redgauntlet Publications . I have a feeling it may have changed publisher since then . The contact details I have are red.gauntlet@btcoonect.com or tel 01202 304846 , but as I said they may have changed . 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Legend said:

These are all great books . Another good source is Steam Days magazine . You used to be able to order back issues of it and there are a few from the 90/00s  that are probably what you are looking for :-

Steam Days  August 2004  contains Gladgow(Queen Street) in the 1950s and 60s . Nice plan of station  and a good few pictures 

Steam Days April 1997  The Edinburgh to Glasgow Line
Steam Days November 1996 Glasgow Termini 

in these days it was published by Redgauntlet Publications . I have a feeling it may have changed publisher since then . The contact details I have are red.gauntlet@btcoonect.com or tel 01202 304846 , but as I said they may have changed . 

Many thanks for these. I have one of these but the earlier ones had passed me by.

I will look for back issues

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Five of the platform roads in the station cross Queen Street Low Level with the rail tied to girders (presumably) rather than sleepers. All rather obvious in any photos at the buffer stop end of these roads. I decided to use Peco engine inspection pit kits to replicate this by chopping the tops of the inspection pit and threading a single piece of code 75 flatbottom rail on each side.

Looks to be a good starting point to modelling this feature

20200517_105716.jpg