Glasgow Queen Street

David Bell

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Five of the platform roads in the station cross Queen Street Low Level with the rail tied to girders (presumably) rather than sleepers. All rather obvious in any photos at the buffer stop end of these roads. I decided to use Peco engine inspection pit kits to replicate this by chopping the tops of the inspection pit and threading a single piece of code 75 flatbottom rail on each side.

Looks to be a good starting point to modelling this feature

20200517_105716.jpg

I think that they may be bridges over the Low Level station.

On 04/05/2020 at 10:03, young37215 said:

I had not appreciated that Queen Street had been through several guises over the last 60 years until I saw your plans. My own memories stem from the 1980's when I spent many happy hours using the station as a base for some desperate haulage moves to Stirling on the express trains and places like Bishopbriggs, Lenzie and Croy on the loco hauled locals.

If I wanted a single book that provided a history of Queen Street over the last 60 or so years, could you make any recommendations? 

This book has a good general history 

20200523_093643.jpg

Not much progress on the layout this week. Some of you will know I have been off to Switzerland - only on this Forum obviously, but going through my old Swiss photos has almost felt like a holiday.

Hope everyone is staying well.

Time for me to start tracklaying

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, David Bell said:

Not much progress on the layout this week. Some of you will know I have been off to Switzerland - only on this Forum obviously, but going through my old Swiss photos has almost felt like a holiday.

Hope everyone is staying well.

Time for me to start tracklaying

I didn’t make the connection David , but turns out I’m following you in both threads . From Wengen to Queen Street . Quite a difference, but both fascinating in their own way . Thanks for that book reference . I didn’t know about that one 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Managed to get a few hours on the layout and have started tracklaying at last! It is slow progress but at least something is happening

20200524_135242.jpg

20200524_135008.jpg

20200524_135020.jpg

Have you cut/drilled holes for the point motors?

1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

A very good start, looking good.  It must be satisfying to get track down.

Best

Scott.

Thanks Scott,

It is the first track I have laid in 5 years. Got back in the way of it though. The fishplates for the Code 75 bullhead are tiny,not much bigger than n gauge ones. I dont think my eyesight is as good as it was 5 years ago! As you say good to get going

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Always interested in Scottish projects.

Don't know if you've seen this forum before

https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/queen-street-station-t2757.html

Some great pictures in that thread, but there's some incredible pictures elsewhere in the forum for all Glasgow's major stations of the past, St Enochs, Buchanan St etc

regards

MHB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/05/2020 at 15:17, David Bell said:

Thanks Scott,

It is the first track I have laid in 5 years. Got back in the way of it though. The fishplates for the Code 75 bullhead are tiny,not much bigger than n gauge ones. I dont think my eyesight is as good as it was 5 years ago! As you say good to get going

Cheers

David

My method for attaching the fishplates is reading glasses, a magnifying glass, one eye closed and lots of light. The first point I put six fishplates on in just under an hour. Trust me it gets easier once you develop a knack. For it's price it really is very nice track isn't it albeit very very delicate. I described it to a friend as trying to work with wet spaghetti. 

I'm really excited to watch this develop. 

Andy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

My method for attaching the fishplates is reading glasses, a magnifying glass, one eye closed and lots of light. The first point I put six fishplates on in just under an hour. Trust me it gets easier once you develop a knack. For it's price it really is very nice track isn't it albeit very very delicate. I described it to a friend as trying to work with wet spaghetti. 

I'm really excited to watch this develop. 

Andy.

I did eventually get my eye in. It does look good track, but as you say, very delicate. Hopefully I will get more done this weekend

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Away from tracklaying I had a go at drawing up two elevations of the building at the left side of the station entrance. Then i used copies of the drawing to make a cardboard mock up to see how it looks

20200605_133328.jpg

20200605_145531.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, David Bell said:

Away from tracklaying I had a go at drawing up two elevations of the building at the left side of the station entrance. Then i used copies of the drawing to make a cardboard mock up to see how it looks

20200605_133328.jpg

20200605_145531.jpg

The car behind the Bedford van is a 1964 Vauxhall Victor, the same as my Dad's  first car. His was white all over so a repaint required.

• Like 2

I have drawn up the remaining buildings at the entrance to GQS including the North British Hotel, or at least as much of it as will fit on the layout. I will copy these and mock them up in place to see how it looks 

20200609_183649.jpg

20200609_183114.jpg

• Like 4

The catchpoint in the middle road has two lead offs one each side. I want to try and capture the look of that. I dont need it to work, just look the part. The other picture is of the five platform roads where they span Queen Street Lower

20200614_173813.jpg

20200614_174442.jpg

It was only a matter of time before this happened! In time I think I will run in mid late seventies as if the station had not changed, as well as the 50's/60's. Well I did say I would sneak in a 27 push pull when you weren't looking!

20200614_180538.jpg

20200614_180640.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, David Bell said:

It was only a matter of time before this happened! In time I think I will run in mid late seventies as if the station had not changed, as well as the 50's/60's. Well I did say I would sneak in a 27 push pull when you weren't looking!

Now you're just teasing!  I'm looking at modelling mid-70s into mid-80s, but watching your progress with interest.  Here's where I am with the build so far, although I am currently working on track away from the terminus.

Steve

20200604_131149.jpg

• Like 7