Hornby's wrong loco bogie wheels

Tony Clout

Dear all,

Hornby always fit the same profile bogie wheels to all their locos, for some they are near enough correct; for others they are downright awful!

The pattern seems to be in favour of Gresley but when that same pattern of wheel is fitted to Stanier locos; it looks altogether wrong. I notice that Hornby’s proposed new Princess Royal pacific, which although being fitted with correct profile driving wheels, seems to be suffering with the usual wrong bogie wheels; the Duchesses and Black Fives certainly do! Would it be possible to forward my attached pdf file to Hornby’s design team for their consideration?

Bachmann bogie wheels are usually better; in the past I’ve even transposed Hornby wheels for Bachmann….now that can’t be right!!!

Tony Clout

Hornby incorrect bogie wheels.pdf

Gresley bogie wheels are also dished to a degree.

Generally all RTR bogie wheels are not great.

Hornby BR Standard bogie wheels are probably the best of the bunch, having a reprasentation of the flaired boss of the real thing.

I have no idea why models are always so weak in this area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony Clout said:

Dear all,

Hornby always fit the same profile bogie wheels to all their locos, for some they are near enough correct; for others they are downright awful!

The pattern seems to be in favour of Gresley but when that same pattern of wheel is fitted to Stanier locos; it looks altogether wrong. I notice that Hornby’s proposed new Princess Royal pacific, which although being fitted with correct profile driving wheels, seems to be suffering with the usual wrong bogie wheels; the Duchesses and Black Fives certainly do! Would it be possible to forward my attached pdf file to Hornby’s design team for their consideration?

Bachmann bogie wheels are usually better; in the past I’ve even transposed Hornby wheels for Bachmann….now that can’t be right!!!

Tony Clout

Hornby incorrect bogie wheels.pdf 304.62 kB · 11 downloads

Maybe it would be prudent to wait until we see the finished article before passing judgement.

6201 for example, which has been doing the rounds at November and December exhibitions was only ever a paint sample rather than a final production run product.

The latest pictures of the Princess class front bogies/wheels on the Hornby website look somewhat finer.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Omission.

• Moderators

I'm shutting this topic down as I'm getting the feeling this member has mistaken this forum with one for grinding axes.

The answer to the questions is to make direct contact.

• Agree 6

• AY Mod locked this topic