Yard 00 - BR Blue 1980s

I hope you are all well. I have found time to start my latest effort.

Space is limited. like many on here. This will need to be stored under the sofa.

The cover I will make for it is 5cm high in order to fit under the sofa  - I have plans to mount the back scene inside the cover.

So therefore, I will concentrate on the ground cover and nothing with be more than 2/3cm high.

Bullhead track mounted onto a painted baseboard today.

Hope to get fishplates, buffer stops down tomorrow and perhaps even paint the sleepers and rails.

It will have puddles and perhaps hard standing. I have recently weathered 5 steel wagons 3 SPA, a BDA and a VTG ferrywagon. So perhaps that is a direction to take.

Have not got a fixed plan with this. Will probably keep it quite minimal to show off my weathered stock.

Anyway it will be my usual 1980s BR grime.

IMG_20200104_170905.jpg

IMG_20200104_170923.jpg

• Like 11

I have another shunting layout. I find it all a bit limiting after 5 minutes. Not knocking those that like a bit of shunting. I find I end up just set up dioramas on it most of the time. So decided to stick to that. If I ever have the room to build a large layout then it will be definitely be operational.  If I ever felt the need I could wire it up and stick a fiddle yard on one end I guess.

Progress today. Fishplates are on, track packed out where need be.

A SPA someway to being finished.

IMG_20200105_184235.jpg

IMG_20200105_135806.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

.....Has anyone used microscope slides to create puddles? Did you inset them into the board or lay them on top and build ballast/dirt around them?

Hi there @SouthernBlue80s,
I've not used microscope slides for this purpose myself.
TBH - as someone who regularly uses them for their intended purpose - I wouldn't use them for puddles.
They are rather thin and delicate. Of course, this is only a problem if you don't accidentally put any weight on them, or similar incident....

But they are also quite small, and not easy to cut and shape....
I've used clear plasticard for puddles, and I think it's quite effective.
Simply paint one side dark brown or black, and flip it over, so the unpainted, shiny side is on the top
The advantage over using glass microscope slides is that you can have larger puddles, and plastic card is easy to cut to nice irregular shapes

As an example, here is a pic of my old scrapyard layout, where I used plastic card puddles
They are slightly inset into the surface. I used photo mounting board as ground surface and cut away the top 1 or 2mm.
The puddles were edged with DAS and then painted, weeds added etc
Apologies if you've already seen this pic several times

Looking forward to seeing this one progress mate :)

Carsmoores 1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looking forward to seeing the layout develop Steve, nice idea and one I've had on the back burner for ages so it will be good to see how it goes. I'm a fan of all your weathered stuff so another reason to follow with interest.

I've used microscope slide for puddles, getting the idea from Gordon Gravetts book, I painted the back and sunk them in about 1mm and blended the edges with DAS clay.

As Mark said they are small, very thin and if you break them be VERY careful to account for any shards as they could be lethal! 

Clear plasticard would be worth trying and I guess would give similar results, they certainly look the part in the photo.

• Informative/Useful 2

You're welcome Steve, if you do go down the Microscope slide route, be so careful with them. I was too heavy handed at first and broke my first few dead easy and fortunately didn't come to any harm, but the slivers of glass looked deadly! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have some slides already so I will give them ago. However I prefer the plasticard way as it seems safer and bit more robust.

I have made the cover so it can be stored under the sofa. And as you can see, I stuck an Nguage back sceen inside the cover.

Perhaps I might use this with a freestanding low relief layer between the layout and the back sceen.

However the back scene did not take properly - dodgy glue. Oh well never mind I will order another one. But at least it gave me an idea of how the concept might work.

Next stage is painting the track, making walls and very low relief bank at the back. It just finding the time.

IMG_20200113_140608.jpg

IMG_20200113_134945.jpg

IMG_20200113_140644.jpg

• Like 6

Hello Steve, just put on a coupe of pics that might help with your puddle making. I did this today.  Gloss paint on the back and managed not to break the slide! Then stuck it down flat on the board and went around the edge with some DAS clay. You do have to put them as flat as you can on the board as any uneven pressure will snap it. This is the state of play at the moment, when he DAS has dried I'll tidy it up a bit.

82311294_526575428209977_1328353515440963584_n.jpg.000e7836ecf5fb220126e7d84bfc5e3a.jpg

82821193_1290464651341181_17887409211441152_n.jpg.c0acea4947e152248a2880caf32faea3.jpg

Hope that helps.

• Like 5

Thanks Steve.

I did indeed use gloss paint, it was a mix of Humbrol Service Brown and Pale Grey, randomly mixed together. I've never tried matt paints but it would be worth a go, also  different colours, it would be interesting to see what effects you get. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

did this get any further?

No. But it is not abandoned. It is sat under the sofa doing nothing. I will finish it at somepoint. 

I spent quite a bit of time fettling and redoing bits on Boxchester this year.  Which after 10 years or so is finally at a point where It is finished.

But I will spend the next year aiming to get Bedvale finished and then return to this.

Have you got any projects on the go at the moment?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2