Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The link will take you to the first picture in an album of photos taken during the 2019 gala at the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. To see the others click to the right side of the screen or swipe as appropriate on tablet/phone.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tanllan/48675372818/in/album-72157710725248096/

The album covers: Zillertalbahn Railway U Class loco, Countess, Joan, night time pictures, shunting at Tanllan Carriage Sidings.

 

 

Edited by Tanllan
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 minutes ago, Tanllan said:

The link will take you to the first picture in an album of photos taken during the 2019 gala at the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. To see the others click to the right side of the screen or swipe as appropriate on tablet/phone.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tanllan/48675372818/in/album-72157710725248096/

The album covers: Zillertalbahn Railway U Class loco, Countess, Joan, night time pictures, shunting at Tanllan Carriage Sidings.

 

 

 

You may wish to correct the thread title - unless you've cracked the time travel thing!

 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go to this gala, but then the loop at Sylfaen was taken out and this resulted in very long gaps between trains. I just got bored and found something else to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2020 at 15:20, PenrithBeacon said:

I used to go to this gala, but then the loop at Sylfaen was taken out and this resulted in very long gaps between trains. I just got bored and found something else to do.

It's really not boring if you ride on the trains, surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tim Hall said:

It's really not boring if you ride on the trains, surely?

It's very boring if you pay to ride in order to have the privilege of filming the gala. What was one of the best NG galas was turned into the worst. A great shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

It's very boring if you pay to ride in order to have the privilege of filming the gala. What was one of the best NG galas was turned into the worst. A great shame.

Well if you've paid, why not ride, and film occasionally? I really don't see the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because to me railways are primarily a sight to be enjoyed and I don't particularly enjoy the sensation of travelling on the railways.

I pay at a gala out of a sense of obligation for the pleasure, but hanging about for ages waiting for a train isn't a pleasure. Quite simply, when the WLLR took out the loop at Sylfaen it ruined the gala and I chose to move on.

There are other things to do that weekend.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Because to me railways are primarily a sight to be enjoyed and I don't particularly enjoy the sensation of travelling on the railways.

I pay at a gala out of a sense of obligation for the pleasure, but hanging about for ages waiting for a train isn't a pleasure. Quite simply, when the WLLR took out the loop at Sylfaen it ruined the gala and I chose to move on.

There are other things to do that weekend.

Cheers

The gala organisers try their best to put on a good show for our visitors. What they can do is limited by the availability of infrastructure and locomotives. 2019 was particularly difficult and the problems with getting the visiting engine sorted and ready for traffic meant that planning went right up to the wire. See this link https://fifteenflatout.wordpress.com/2019/09/06/mission-impossible-and-a-steam-gala/

OK so with the loop missing at Sylfaen the frequency of train movements is low at that location, however, by using  the public footpath that crosses the Syfaen Brook there are some good train watching and  photo opportunities available. During the 2019 Gala, down the line, at Cyfronydd there was plenty going on.  (see attached Train diagram for the Saturday) and nearby are some good photography locations. On the Friday I was was rostered on an early shift and In the afternoon I travelled as a passenger from Llanfair to Cyfronydd and spent a while taking photos. I passed the time waiting for trains by finding alternative things to point my camera at - mainly several hundred swallows swooping low over the grass to feast on flying insects - a far trickier subject matter than trains.

Sylfaen map https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=317372&Y=306317&A=Y&Z=115

 

Cyfronydd map https://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=314036&Y=307579&A=Y&Z=115

 

As for watching trains in the landscape the spot chosen by Mike Heath for the photo below might be difficult to beat.

 

W&LR Gala - 31 August 2019-28

 

 

 

Geoff

2019_08_30_021.JPG

Saturday Gala - Train Diagram-1.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm well aware of many good photo spots on the WLLR, thanks, these are my YouTube films:

 

Hope you enjoy them!

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm well aware of many good photo spots on the WLLR, thanks, these are my YouTube films:

 

Hope you enjoy them!

Cheers

David,

Thanks for sharing the videos. In the first one I was driving Joan on the ill fated trip that features in the last couple of minutes. There was a mechanical failure with the fireman's side valve gear. We didn't get off the loco until 11pm that evening!!

 

Geoff

Thumbs Down



 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.