Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

With the suspension of the Chippenham Mainline Layout Project; the link is in my signature bar below, I figured, for those who have an interest, I would start a 'work bench' topic to run along side or at least in replacement of, whilst the future of the layout project is debated.

There have been a number of specific projects but also a considerable number of general kit building exercises. These have been documented, flirtingly, through the existing Chippenham thread but maybe we can discuss and evaluate in more depth here. I will have a variety of kit types and from varying eras, so maybe something for most Great Western fans/modellers. Please do comment, message if you prefer not to post, I will not be offended as I like to get things modelled as accurately as possible. Additionally and more importantly I would like this thread to develop and expand to aid other modellers with ideas and references/links to smaller suppliers; for those specific and more detailed parts required to make the model that little bit more realistic that are not available in general model shops. I, as many I am sure, have found modelling at times quite frustrating, not knowing where to get some small detailing part or a replacement etch as well as not being able to just pop out and get a pot of paint as our disappearing supply shops dwindle.

I do intend featuring both plastic and metal (brass and white metal) kits as well as scratch construction for the buildings associated to my dream project. I have completed a substantial amount of historical research regarding the station and surrounding buildings and acquired a number of books/photographs. The local History Centre has provided me with the sight of some plans drawn up by Swindon Drawing Office so I have near accurate dimensions that I scaled to 4mm, (ish, I am not very good at modelling but like to get things as detailed and accurate as possible).

Here's a couple of pictures of my latest kits finalised as far as possible before sourcing transfers for the wagon and thus completing the weathering. As I mentioned before I have a variety of models belong to a wide time frame;

DSCF9494.JPG.7401324e2a636932410a8eaab031b58e.JPG DSCF9495.JPG.a2fa1273569194286b9754b37e60558e.JPG

This will make up a five wagon train that was picture travelling from Calne to Chippenham.

These are the subsequent building exercises that need completing with transfers and then weathered and a couple of loco projects (the Beast and a bottom drawer find);

DSCF9500.JPG.d07ae1e73ca8bbf759c90bc8534307f6.JPG DSCF9499.JPG.910a2b9903b352fe014489a2435dcb33.JPG

These will need completing with the same shackles and chain as featured on the War Well (thanks to Castle for the pointer on them);

DSCF9501.JPG.dbae18d98b36e7a4cddf2fc27456cfae.JPG

Oh and transfers many of you will know me from my previous threads and my despise for applying transfers. It is my least favourite thing of this hobby (including ballasting), followed very quickly after by painting.

Well I hope you enjoy and find the entries useful and/or interesting. I will try to put the posts frequent but please do not be put off by a lack of daily updates as I am a very slow modeller and I am even worse with the computer.

Edited by No46
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, glad to see you've started this thread. I was worried there'd be no news on Chippenham for a long while.

I recognise some of the projects in your photos, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

No real updates to speak of. Struggling with motivation at the moment, however have been researching warflat numbering and livery types, what a mine field!!:D Frustrating but think I have to finally found what I need.

Before starting anything new I need to complete those kits on the bench this is where the motivation dwindles. If for no other reason i need to room on the bench to start something new :jester:

There is a threat of some modelling happening here in the next couple of days, whilst finishing off the last of the started wagon kits (outside frame Monster) and before having to facing do all the transfers and painting up the locos. Then onto finishing that twin railcar set. This, I know is basic but replacing the thicker truss moulding for thinner (pre 30S so I am lead to believe) makes me feel a little better about the appearance also having to build up the missing levers and rods gives me a warm modelling feeling. Will not do much more here as generally it is more at risk from me than looking accurate and decent on the layout.

DSCF9559.JPG.dc33c784f6e3ed142bf53dc81474bcca.JPG

I have some exciting plans a foot for some commissioned transfers to complete the warflat and potential found another source for warflat kits. I am promised next week will have further developments. More to follow (I hope).

Edited by No46
  • Like 4

Thanks for the 'likes'.

Hi Mikkel, thank you. The truss rods are styrene; Evergreen Strip 0.25x0.5mm. The originals were removed but the stanchions left. The strip was then fixed in place on the two stanchions with liquid poly and the melting helped make the angle as well as being so thin. The ends were quickly pulled into place and cemented leaving it all to harden off. A little bit of luck really as I was too lazy to attempt brass wire and drilling a few holes.

Here's after painting, looks half decent I think;

DSCF9561.JPG.694969e87abb4fe35fada7301dd6dda7.JPG

Now just to run some black over the missed areas! and decide on rain strip or not for the roof.

Edited by No46
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some serious concentration and a little modelling has taken place. I feel much better for it and although not huge amounts certainly getting those stalled efforts finished; Close ups have been very cruel and the blemishes do not appear to the naked eye, this is the use of inks causing the pictures to have an uneven appearance, the lining is straight honest!

Firstly an Dia S6 Fish van completed mid last year has finally received the branding;

DSCF9563.JPG.c5f4e9795530eb44fe9a284e0db21cc4.JPG

The bullion van got it's stripes finally. This is the first ever brass kit that I attempted and soldered to boot. I built it at least ten years ago and I have since painted it three times completely stripping it twice. I never had the courage to try (and fail) the lining until now So closed my eyes and just went for it, what the hell. It will be part of a Plymouth-Paddington mail train that used to 'slip' at Bristol Temple Meads; (honestly looks better in the flesh)

DSCF9564.JPG.87e1bcfb693431ef663c0434e7c5d6d8.JPGDSCF9565.JPG.549bff3b2aa7c76d73613a743d5845ea.JPG

And finally for today's efforts that old monster. Nearly finished all painted glazed, transferred and varnished, just need to be it's hat on;

DSCF9562.JPG.bbf850d41ebbcd0889d05b5a239cb82c.JPGDSCF9566.JPG.a0c3bce854fc5fca1ceaee0fcf87226c.JPG

Hopefully will be hearing from Simon at Old Time Workshop this week regarding transfers for my war flat wagon and the future ones I plan to complete the MOD special from Calne as pictured in one of my books although still waiting to hear back from the seller regarding his war flat kits.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

OK here are a couple more pics; The Monster completed; additional rain strips and vents. A close up on the new truss rods; Mikkel once painted and varnished the styrene seems to become very brittle. I have had to mend the joints a couple of times from just handling it when applying transfers and roof.

DSCF9568.JPG.cd8d623e6e063ae2c758e2337d1d8133.JPGDSCF9569.JPG.60d8b2e7c065dc2601ec0857af441800.JPG

The Y1 fruit van finally gets it's transfers. I think I have found the issue with my previous transfer problems. I had been using some older transfers and I think they had become brittle and lost any 'pressfix' adhesion. So a little easier and faster to complete those troublesome trucks.

DSCF9570.JPG.fd6e796474f3db9a93c4c61ab20ef16a.JPG

I seem to have a major brown vehicle thing going on at the moment. As it appears I have been let down, again, with my green vehicles, I can not resist having a bash at a couple more. Especially after a cheeky eBay win. I know I should finish off more of the built wagons and the loco spraying but I need my wagon build fix! A welcome distraction whilst applying transfers and researching actual wagons to base livery on. The researching numbers etc hopefully will not take as long as the previous lots.

I once made a start on one of the station buildings but annoyingly I used, what I thought correctly moulded plasticard for the block work only to notice when actually looking and not just thinking that the blocks are more flat and less pronounced. So I will have to make a start from fresh and put that wastage down to experience and practice. A word of warning maybe for others modelling places they are familiar with; it is surprising how different small details actually are compared to what you think you know them as. Always worth taking another look/check of your research before cracking on.

DSCF9578.JPG.ecac6545b68df3517601a96fe3629fea.JPG  DSCF9579.JPG.b37373aeac43234009432c04cf15ea49.JPG

Edited by No46
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Interesting little box, I wonder what this could be the start of?

DSCF9576.JPG.d2eb25416080a5694d53bda8739c90f5.JPG

I have decided to make the underframe and body separate to aid painting, rather then building together (as per instructions) and then making off and waiting for drying etc later. Just have to ensure everything is level and square and level and square and possibly check again. I can now paint both at the same time and attach, once hardened off. That's the plan anyway, why do things easily when you can make them more difficult?! :jester:

• Like 3

Update on the wagons. It has proved rather tricky to fix the chassis and W irons etc separately and once completed very brittle and easily damaged.DSCF9596.JPG.1b8ca58762d7547dc7905e0d9212301b.JPG So after this picture was taken I decided to undo the buffers do I could attached the all the pieces together as one and I'll just have to mask off the areas required whilst painting. Shame really thought I could speed the process up a little.

• Like 2

Thanks Mikkel, finished now with the usual exception of paint, wheels and transfers.

Recent days I have fallen out of friendship with these two troublesome wagons but now details (not vac pipes or screw couplings, leave for after painting) they look OK.

DSCF9597.JPG.c3ec5243009cd304423356ba0d81f534.JPGDSCF9598.JPG.150b5f819983c2c0640c73cefad00eb6.JPG

Introducing my trusty new glue application device; 

DSCF9599.JPG.985bff0f0c07cf4b8ba74ad647ffb9ca.JPG 

The cork helps it keep vertical so it does not roll around the desk top spreading glue everywhere or sticking itself to things. Especially useful for very small and fine detail parts.

Edited by No46
Text layout
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some nice and satisfying about lump of brass, especially in the Great Western format.

DSCF9851.JPG.2e07658f97bd2c92f1ce20b15c29c1fc.JPGDSCF9853.JPG.5f245954bcd975baa4bfd7af68913bc1.JPG

Siphon Cs with their Nigels on (for Mikkel ;)) and rooves sanded back to plain so head boards and different rain strips can be applied. Buffers are all prepared and drying from the Lanarkshire Models range (usual disclaimer) and thank you Castle for the pointer. nice set of brass etches, good fit to the Ratio chassis. These are all 613 brake but had a age range of what must have been nearly forty years! The brass etches were all purchased at the same time a couple of years ago, so thumbs up. The additional brass has added a lovely weight to each of the wagons, so no additional required here.

I did run into a very annoying issue with the lack of bracing details and had to adapt some of many extra righthand 'Y' brackets to left hand. End door hinges, grab handles and roof details are next before painting. Couplings finally before transfers.

This will be in between painting my open fish wagons. Finally decided on how to paint them with some very sound advice from more members of this great parish. Thank you again, one and all.

DSCF9852.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear! I have just the one kit to build, I had intended to build it up on one of many Mainly Trains 4 wheel coach chassis I have but measuring up, I think the MT chassis is a bit long. I have a few Ratio kits kicking about so will have to dig out one of them , build up the chassis and work out the differences.

• Like 2

They are easy to work with. Ratio chassis that is. About 1mm off the chassis length but like you say best build it first then file back. Careful with the roof, I followed the instructions of removing 2mm from each and and it is tight, especially if you want different rain strips, gas lamps and destination boards. Also check all the bracing parts for the siphon just to make sure you have enough of each design for want you want.

They are both nice kits and work well together.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Good to hear! I have just the one kit to build, I had intended to build it up on one of many Mainly Trains 4 wheel coach chassis I have but measuring up, I think the MT chassis is a bit long. I have a few Ratio kits kicking about so will have to dig out one of them , build up the chassis and work out the differences.

Please feel free to post pictures of your build and anything else related to The Great Western. The more the better. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, No46 said:

They are easy to work with. Ratio chassis that is. About 1mm off the chassis length but like you say best build it first then file back. Careful with the roof, I followed the instructions of removing 2mm from each and and it is tight, especially if you want different rain strips, gas lamps and destination boards. Also check all the bracing parts for the siphon just to make sure you have enough of each design for want you want.

They are both nice kits and work well together.

That's very interesting, I didn't see anything about shortening the Ratio chassis in the instructions. I thought it was a quirk of the MT chassis. I'll have to build up the body first, then I can trim the chassis to suit after. Thanks for the pointer!