Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

All wagons have now been painted in base GWR stock brown ready for some washes before transfers. Although happy with the finish and coverage of the airbrushing I can not help feeling I am doing things wrong. Seems to take a while to paint and I don't think I am using my airbrush correctly I have a too small a needle. I use 0.2mm needle and this seems to clog even though my paint is very thin almost ink like. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a good self help/tutorial video to watch on the net please? I learn from watching and listening to others rather than reading, especially for practical skills. Thank you.

Next though it will be the roofs, fitting the vents rain strip and destination type boards before fitting. Each one is of a slightly differing length less than 1mm between them all but it universally drill and fit boards and vents would mean some if not all will be slightly out. Can't have that now.

Edited by No46

Whilst following the build instructions including visual ones supplied I could not help returning to 57XX's comment about using photograph references rather than or more so than the instructions. I measured up all the roofs, drilled out locating holes for the vents and fixed with superglue. Lovely just ready for tomorrow to prime and top coat. I just can not shake 57XX's comment out of my head.

Nothing for it off to the reference books to check. Firstly Slinn and Clarke, a little there but nothing concrete, phew! Russell's Coaches Appendix vol2 and there it is!!!!!! There are only TWO roof vents not the three as directed and pictured in the kit instructions :banghead:

Seriously these kits! Having already been misdirected by the brackets and falling short of the number of detailing parts required/supplied now this I seriously was ready to jack everything in sell up all my kits and just continue with RTR stock and possible not even that!

The scene of annoyance, especially as they all measured up nicely and no drill slip so everything for once is 100% accurate;

DSCF9890.jpg.a7018947868fcaff071dd96d9709c14a.jpg 

Now I will have to try to fix this current problem hopefully without creating more problems or even having to make further purchases just for the roofs. Very annoying not only for the waste time and effort but now the potential to ruin roofs or details. Not to mention the fact that there has now been over spend wasting more money on unnecessary items. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2020 at 14:56, Nile said:

A 0.5mm needle would be better in this case, if it's available for your airbrush.

I was going to suggest similar, 0.4mm as that is the other size I have than my 0.2mm needle. The 0.2 is best for detailing and 0.4 for larger coverage.

A few youtube channels I've used for tutorials in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/user/airbrushtutor

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCliDthlyTPfhZFhQ83JmkfQ

https://www.youtube.com/user/genessismodels

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/04/2020 at 08:34, No46 said:

Whilst following the build instructions including visual ones supplied I could not help returning to 57XX's comment about using photograph references rather than or more so than the instructions. I measured up all the roofs, drilled out locating holes for the vents and fixed with superglue. Lovely just ready for tomorrow to prime and top coat. I just can not shake 57XX's comment out of my head.

Nothing for it off to the reference books to check. Firstly Slinn and Clarke, a little there but nothing concrete, phew! Russell's Coaches Appendix vol2 and there it is!!!!!! There are only TWO roof vents not the three as directed and pictured in the kit instructions :banghead:

Oops sorry! :blush:

Don't do anything drastic to them yet. Bit rushed at the moment (online training!), but will respond properly later today. However I think the GA in Russel is wrong. :)

Thanks Ric, already amended the roofs though. Had to cut the vents off as the de-activator destroyed the paint i had already applied underneath and i was worried for the plastic. All areas filled and heavily sanded back. I have re-masured and drilled out two vent positions for each as illustrated in Slinn and Clarke. The original three measurements can be used for the running board anchors.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the airbrushing i have more studying to do now.

• RMweb Gold

Turns out it's a false alarm. :) I was confusing the vents (actually gas lamp tops I think) with what I believe are the destination board mounts of which there are 3 either side of the roof.

Carry on. :)

• Thanks 1

Cheers Ric,

So I held my breath, closed my eyes and got on with the matter in hand. Rain strips formed, cut and attached and in true style of this build I have run out of styrene strip with just one rain strip to go!!!! Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Replacements ordered as are the couplings so fingers crossed these will land by the weekend.

Destination board locators cut and attached. The running boards will be created some other time as they are a different colour to the roof and I will need to find someone who is willing and able to produce transfers for these at a reasonable price as there are 14 boards required and the same for the name boards to be placed on the sides, all in brown text. I have also a few siphon Fs that would benefit from similar so may increase numbers required.

DSCF9891.jpg.200c1513df6b86f5f4e94b2e5b41a661.jpg

Appreciate they look a mess but hopefully once primed you will not know the nasties underneath. I have certainly had to work a lot harder on these than I imagined and they have been more frustrating than I care to remember. I hope the roof paint does not craze unless they will be sent into orbit! 

Anyway Wickes having finally delivered the promised goods for making new smaller boards. So I should be getting those started whilst waiting for the styrene. Lets hope after three weeks of waiting the woodwork goes a little better than the kits. Suns out and I believe it is cider o' clock. So that is me for the day cracking a cold one and cutting my first asparagus of the year.

Toodles :drinks:

• Like 4

All the roofs have now been primed and sprayed white.

Got brave last night and airbrushed the beast and the other loco I have but now back to the brushes to touch up and do finer detailing.

Appears my airbrush nozzle thread has sheared, as well honestly when it is against you! At least I managed to remove the thread from the airbrush main element.

I would be very interested in other people's experience or personal recommendations for airbrushes as the two I have are cheap ones. Any pointers etc as these things can be very expensive. Is there much difference between something at say £39.99 and £179.99?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hear they've invented a fridge that orders new milk before your run out. We need that for modelling too!

The roofs look great, amazing what a difference roof details make. 

• Thanks 1

Here's a snap of progress;

DSCF9901.JPG.79203f251491e89634f181acfc1558e1.JPG

and a couple of other distractions to change my modelling mood ;)

DSCF9902.JPG.740ab6253c1898cab95102ad23456a1c.JPGDSCF9903.JPG.88113929fdd125299e0377f49aca27aa.JPG

The Pannier 'The Beast' will require a further coat.

Here's the 39xx cab detail. I am very please with the coal and the wood flooring (not very visible, sorry). Only really taken as once the roof is on all of this will be 95% invisible.

DSCF9900.JPG.4a40d7a002d27854ad6de6f75cdf90b5.JPGDSCF9899.JPG.5424804973b0511db055d358b840fa74.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 28/04/2020 at 20:01, No46 said:

I would be very interested in other people's experience or personal recommendations for airbrushes as the two I have are cheap ones. Any pointers etc as these things can be very expensive. Is there much difference between something at say £39.99 and £179.99?

My personal bias it to the Harder & Steenbeck airbrushes. I have the Evolution Silverline 2 in 1. It comes with two different  paint cup sizes and 2 needles (0.2 and 0.4mm) for £145. You can adjust the lever travel and the best bit (IMO) is the needle nozzles don't screw in so you won't be getting them seized up and shearing off. There is a whole stack of spares and accessories such as different needle caps, air flow control regulators etc that you can get.

A lot of people also swear by the Neo for Iawata, never used one myself. Have a look in the Weathering & Painting section, there are a few threads worth looking at.

I use this place for all my bits:   https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Airbrushes.html

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have since restarted researching more airbrush types so am yet to jump in completely.

Some nice detail (standard stuff) has been added to the Beast and the 39xx and this has really lifted the appearance of both locos, even was able to use of old coal from the Calne branch I picked up whilst walking (years ago!) for the Beast as I dont have any O gauge stuff. Very pleasing outcome, if I do say so myself.

Siphons Cs all ready at my usual stage of no couplings and no transfers. As you can imagine I am somewhat short on the branding 'Siphon C' transfers so delving into the books for appropriate livery and hopefully find 5+ without the branding just GW and numbers. Fingers crossed.

DSCF9907.jpg.dae175fbb8ef6fb4e246b95dcdc5a054.jpg

I have also got The Beast to the motorising the chassis stage and of course there is a problem. The gear box will not fit inside the loco body or the only other option means the motor fouls on the back head and all the cab frontage :banghead:

There are no useful instructions with this kit hence the length of time building as I have had to pretty much guess and work things out myself. Annoying and frustrating as this is my first (and most likely last) O gauge loco build and my only other previous loco build was Hercules which in itself was mainly scratch building. The 39xx was already built I just added detailing.

Looks like I will have to start cutting the gearbox about so it can fit inside. The only axle location available is the rear as the other two are completely covered by the tank. Failing that I guess leave the motor and gearbox out. I dont have a O gauge layout nor do I plan for one. Half the time I truly feel like selling the thing so I can get on with more useful OO things, one less distraction. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Argh, that's annoying :mad_mini:.

The Siphons look at treat though. No. 1503 in Slinn's GW Way has 25" inch letters on ends and the smaller adapted letters on the sides, (it also has brown up to the rain strip btw). It has no "Siphon C" marking.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

Just to prove I can solder and was genuinely being lazy with the Siphons here's some laminating, there layers for the couplings rods (I think that's them) and just two for the coupling hooks.

DSCF9908.jpg.54ca1383cec8bacdcc12b4ef46431340.jpg

Nearly finished The Beast just a few finishing touches to add. Yes, I appreciate there are a few minor detailing errors on her but I got the point and decided; rule 1 and get it done! So I am.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow as there are many other distractions at this present time especially with the weather as nice as it has been. Not that I like the sun or heat but I have returned to enjoying growing vegetables from seed once more. Although I do make time to have a read through the posts on RMWeb daily.

I have made a started to the dismantling and rebuilding of the layout boards. 

The Beast from the West has now a working chassis just have to tweak the rods as there is a little rub somewhere, then the jigsaw can be put together for completion.

I am still looking around at various airbrushes but Ric's recommendation of the H&S range is still top of the list due to the drop in needle and ease of cleaning. I have fallen foul of the thread shearing already in my short time using these tools.

I have decided to line the 39xx in earlier livery as I think this will look more appropriate and make it stand out from the number of similar prairie type locomotives I have.

The siphons have stagnated for the time being as they are at the usually stalling stage of transfers.

• Like 2

Thank you one and all.

Well here it is the final push on The Beast. The time line of picture sequence is a little condensed but I am posting to sections of a build that is spread over the afternoon, not minutes as it will appear on the thread.

The first set are the completion of the chassis and with the addition of the footplate. This took a little tweaking, as everything on this kit has but runs very smoothly, since oiled and its a beauty. 

DSCF9917.JPG.ccf8c82677104de3c301b66992ed1a85.JPGDSCF9918.JPG.5a31ac27bdd4ca23881ec94d21c5ce52.JPG

Bizarrely I can definitely say I prefer modelling in 4mm not 7mm!

Comparison in size is staggering when together. This is The Beast and the 39xx chassis facing each other!

DSCF9919.JPG.536ac6b5155240c8967a177293e46fcb.JPG

• Like 4

So the finishing elements are added including 'the lid' as questioned by the Boss. The final detailing parts really do add life to the model and has some what redeemed it from my previously thoughts. Although it is now, after a little running in against a buffer, destined to sit in a display case. Here she is;

DSCF9920.JPG.2a059a0ca3beb2947a74e986d92b2990.JPGDSCF9921.JPG.56b3482faf179a6d529ad493b3c98f58.JPGDSCF9922.JPG.362cdc62cfb94476d113196549bb924b.JPGDSCF9923.JPG.f8b0f5b0767ec89fda390846626c56ac.JPG

Any observation very welcome, as always. Positive and Negative both happy here. I do appreciate I have flipped a little on the livery i.e. copper chimo and fully brass safety vale? but tried to do everything else as per pictured prototype example. I have mentioned before but will again the coal is that from the actual location and I am really pleased with how it turned out including the bunker hatch inside the cab.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, that looks fantastic. Perseverance always pays off, doesn't it. Congratulations on getting it done, sounds like it's one of those situations where finishing a model is like having a ball and chain removed from your ankles :)

PS: Are you aware that 7mm display case models have a legal right to at least one accompanying wagon?

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1