Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Got a little ahead of myself and nearly forgot the gun locking mechanism. this has to be made up. I am told the Cromwells probably never had this but my picture shows it on the tanks loaded. I appreciate mine are incorrect types but they are the closest I could find to replicate the picture. I have since learnt that the picture tanks are Comets but they did not last very long in service. I am more than happy with what I have though and the Airfix kits are a great little build.

DSCF9995.JPG.aa3991f928e8e743f238811ae79c4388.JPG   Since been re-primed.

Still have enough of the tarp I made up for the original build to suggest a covering over the end of the main gun. One less job.

DSCF9998.JPG.862d4433803adc0d1647defce0ec6a81.JPG

• Like 4

Busy afternoon what with the Moto GP, GP, cricket and now Chelsea in the cup! Weights added, oh ran out of paint as well.

DSCF0001.JPG.74784ffdeefb8980b74d533917e85e18.JPG  Will need another light spray before transfers and a little weathering.

Then chaining up with those tensioners, hooks and that central ring :cray_mini:not looking forward to it but makes the model. I will have to finish the sleeper wagon loads off whilst I am at it. 

Don't you just love the smell of Vallejo paint :excl:

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/06/2020 at 17:01, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I think you may have got it in one although any company and you end up painting endless of the same colour, I think this is why I decided to model wagons/trains for various eras.

You just need to build some kits from other regions that would have been found all over the system. Then you can have dark brown Southern wagons, bauxtie and light grey LMS ones and also red oxide and grey LNER. :)

• Agree 1

Spent all Saturday afternoon making up the chain, hooks and tensioners for the tank loads, just another 3 to go! :help:

Some exciting news today though, it appears that the custom transfers for the warflats have arrived and will be on the way soon. So with that in mind it seems time to start something new;

I have, over the years, picked up random kits. I am sure we are all in the same boat when I checked my 'stock box' I nearly fainted I have a number of cattle wagons so it is certainly about time to make a start DSCF0013.JPG.676d46809112cbaf2df0ded3e335baee.JPG  especially as I know I have a few brass kits as well!!!!! And of course the ones I have already finished............................yes yes you read correctly. I have actually finished some kits completely including transfers and coupling WOW! :smoke:

Don't tell the Boss! :butcher:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikkel said:

I count 13 cattle wagon kits, you'll be busy!

Have you seen Maurice Pearce's lovely 'interior' detailing here: http://www.gwr.org.uk/galpearce1.html

My lucky number! You are right 13 it is and I plan to batch build them like the flats.

Mikkel Maurice's wagon, especially the interior is wonderful. I think I may attempt something similar for a couple. I need to research the type of cattle for my area in the late 20s, early 30s I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That last one is the Shirescenes etch for the iron version, I think? How did you find the build?

It certainly is the Dart Castings etch. The build is mainly the Ratio Iron Mink which fits together very nicely indeed. The etches are very fine and as long as you ensure you have the right distancing and alignment between the wagon ends you are fine. It is a lovely thing to build. I was commissioned to build five in the GWR red which led me to make this one for myself. I might even have another one in stock to build, will have to check. 

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

They look spectacular! I want flats with tanks on now,

May I ask what you used as D shackles

Thank you. I am pleased with the resulting models although originally the casts received were disappointing.

D shackles on the wagons are made from some old 15 amp fuse wire bent around a cocktail stick, cut to length and the ones on the tanks are part of the kits.

Tensioners and hooks are from Ambis Engineering; http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/ (no connection just very happy) as recommended by @Castle fiddly little devils but worth it unless you are running at distance.

Extra detail
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like the iron cattle wagon, makes a very nice variation from the norm.

Don't forget that the limewash was banned by the time period you are referring to though. ;)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 57xx said:

I like the iron cattle wagon, makes a very nice variation from the norm.

Don't forget that the limewash was banned by the time period you are referring to though. ;)

Thanks, I have read up a little and there is a line of thought that the lime markings would be visible from prior use until a repaint, that's my excuse any :) Should be able to get away with that.

Wow sore fingers from filing and scalpel use but all wagons ready to be thrown together now. Any further clean up will happen during build as required.

9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

They look spectacular! I want flats with tanks on now,

Just got an order in for the required wheels of a future project loosely related to the flats but you'll have to wait and see as I have those cattle wagons to build and the flats transfers are on the way.  A teaser is; there are 40 axles required! Not to mention the loco coal wagons I built a while ago but finished the bearings off the other day - N13s if I remember but I have a couple for another prototype just cant quite remember what that is. It will ping no doubt, probably about 3am , hmmmmm maybe N10s?

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 09:02, chuffinghell said:

May I ask what you used as D shackles

23 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

D shackles on the wagons are made from some old 15 amp fuse wire bent around a cocktail stick, cut to length and the ones on the tanks are part of the kits.

Chris, sorry I am a dirty rotten liar! The D hooks are made from 15amp fuse wire but loosely shaped/bent around a piece of .45 or .5 brass wire to form the loop and cut with long tails  to allow cutting to length as required. It was not until I start making a few more that I realised I had sent you a pup. I am only making more because I cannot count either :help::jester::jester::help:

DSCF0017.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a plan for those delicate tie bars and the bar running through the open side of the wagon to keep the cattle in. If possible this will be replaced with 0.45 brass wire but secured flush behind the axle guards, this should replicate what already exists exactly and the central side bar inserted into the wagon end and door stays to ensure a constructed fit rather than just attached. More fiddle but in the long run should be much stronger against my clumsy ham fisted efforts when running. Fingers crossed!

Will update with pictures to visualise my babble.

• Like 1