Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Interesting to see how you have upgraded those cattle wagons and how good they look. I have about ten in my stash and they too will be batch built, with modification to the window bars.

Also interesting to see the military vehicles you are planning to use, I have a couple of Morris armoured cars from the thirties I am planning on using as loads. Whenever I see pictures of the first world war armoured cars I can't help thinking how vulnerable those wood spoked wheels and beaded edge tyres must have been.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

With all the projects you've got going, this is probably evil - but I can't resist: http://www.wdmodels.com/ 

lol, yes thank @Mikkel very tempting but I am out of room for loads and on my bench lol.

As it happens from researching wagon numbers/livery I stumbled on an article describing how the WW1 tanks produced in Swindon were initially rail transported to Avonmouth docks for shipping to the front. Happy accident as this can be used to cement a train load of tanks running through Chippenham. It may have been, and most likely, the Swindon Badminton line but for some reason on that given day they had to run the main to Temple Meads or even into the munitions tunnels at box!

• Informative/Useful 1

20 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

lol, yes thank @Mikkel very tempting but I am out of room for loads and on my bench lol.

As it happens from researching wagon numbers/livery I stumbled on an article describing how the WW1 tanks produced in Swindon were initially rail transported to Avonmouth docks for shipping to the front. Happy accident as this can be used to cement a train load of tanks running through Chippenham. It may have been, and most likely, the Swindon Badminton line but for some reason on that given day they had to run the main to Temple Meads or even into the munitions tunnels at box!

Have you seen the Railway Modeller article, on a GWR WWI tank train, in the December 2016 issue?

The author describes scratchbuilding three tank shapes, from wood, to go with one Airfix WWI tank kit, then sheeting these over.

He also scratchbuilt four GWR 'Macaw' bogie flat wagons to carry them.

• Informative/Useful 2

@MrWolf exactly that. All of those men were incredibly brave especially with the armour (or lack of) they had to work with.

The more research into WW1 machinery and such the more I can not help thinking Steam Punk. Those weapons and vehicles.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Nick Gough said:

Have you seen the Railway Modeller article, on a GWR WWI tank train, in the December 2016 issue?

The author describes scratchbuilding three tank shapes, from wood, to go with one Airfix WWI tank kit, then sheeting these over.

He also scratchbuilt four GWR 'Macaw' bogie flat wagons to carry them.

Thanks, no I have not seen it. Will have to look it up, thank you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Let me know if you can't get hold of a copy.

Nick I see you are sneaking a Mk1 in on your layout built thread, very nice indeed. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a copy of the article to view but thanks.

I did consider only getting one copying the outline image to 'sheet up' but having read that later in the war tanks appeared to be transported without sheeting and I am particularly modelling 1918/19 when I think the later Mks arrived as well as the Whippet I plumped for that period, also for some visual interest for me.  I have my reserved stock for the carrying wagons lined up. The macaw kits I have are destined to be standard GWR service items , maybe with funky loads not sure yet but I really do like the idea of scratch building wagons. I have Russell's  Great Western Wagon Plans Book and it keeps giving me ideas/inspiration but I must resist, as I have to @Mikkel temptation! My kit boxes and work bench are groaning as well as SWMBO! Kits I find become almost an addiction both in getting and building.

• Like 2

I spent a little time in my now 'local' (proper) model shop today. Wonderful personal service and exceptional knowledge and help with my paint matching requirements. It has been a long time since this type od customer service and advice has been received. It does take me about 2hr round trip but worth it. I will be returning for sure. Thank you to Salisbury Model Centre for your help and advice. There is a particular pannier that caught my eye and I wish I picked it up today, hoe hum a return journey already penciled in.

Incidentally I have plumped for Vallejo 71.052 Anthracite Grey as my Railmatch match. Results to be published soon.

I also picked up Vallejo 71.023 Hemp for the 'dirt' colouration of the WW1 tanks. I have read the tanks were originally sheeted for either secrecy or just transporting proposes, seems no-one really has a definitive on this one. Originally the tanks were transported and shipped in grey and were painted in France before deployment. Specific colour patterns and camouflaged designed were directed. Then later in the war when it had been decided that the Germans knew about the tanks and shape and no wonderful paint design would disguise speed or direction, especially as they moved at walking pace at best, they would be painted for transporting in green and neutral/mud brown. As the tracks are up and over the tanks very quickly become mud/dirt/ground colour so this is why this decision was made by the war office.

Having already got a WW2 load of green I am going for the dirt brown colouration. I also find it a little more interesting for the long planned layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I used the new paint today for the cattle wagons with the intention that whilst they dried I would get the transfers onto the loco coal wagons. Well you guessed it got the painting done lol.

Very pleased with the initial results but will wait for the paint to completely dry before any comparisons can be made. As it happens I have some Railmatch GWR freight grey wagons ready and awaiting transfers so can easily be compared (another excuse not to do them)  as well as a gunpowder wagon still sitting patiently for livery completion.

Incidentally the time saved is significant. It took about 1hr for the 13 wagons to be completely sprayed with Vallejo and airbrushed cleaned and put away. At least 1.5hrs for the Railmatch spray, respray and airbrush cleaning/unblocking. Only 4 wagons done with poor coverage and would require a respray.

Pictures for comparison and your views to follow.

• Like 3

Well the results are in.......................unfortunately I have not won the lottery nor do we have an exact match but I am very pleased with how close the match actually is. There is a slight difference when you really look hard with the naked eye but on a layout and after weathering, even slight, I think any different in shade would not be noticable.

Here they are; The two ends are Railmatch and the middle Vallejo Air. Not really sure as to why the loco coal wagon has a lighter shade to the gunpowder van.

DSCF0131.JPG.ddc41e9987138855c03cc81894adaeb3.JPGDSCF0132.JPG.c07669d9235b9aa6ceb73204c13d654a.JPGDSCF0133.JPG.95d242a65cf40781e97357d1538f826e.JPG

• Like 5

Looks fine to me, I did the same using Vallejo too ( can't recall the exact one I used ) but as you quite rightly say, once weathered !

First coat on a Slaters O Gauge cattle wagon using Vallejo grey

IMG_1176.jpeg.978d8e00526ca0613c584e2f8914b03d.jpeg

May I ask which one you chose to use please ?

G

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bgman said:

IMG_1176.jpeg.978d8e00526ca0613c584e2f8914b03d.jpeg

May I ask which one you chose to use please ?

G

Thank you  71.052 Anthracite Grey. I did forget to mention it is the first coat (I do not normally coat more than once though) on Halfords grey primer which is very light. I do use this on all my wagons.

By-the-way your autocoach looks superb.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Thank you  71.052 Anthracite Grey. I did forget to mention it is the first coat (I do not normally coat more than once though) on Halfords grey primer which is very light. I do use this on all my wagons.

By-the-way your autocoach looks superb.

Thank you too, I also waft the models with either the Halfords rattle can grey or Vallejo primer prior to airbrushing the top coat. 

I normally record the paint ref. after spraying my stock which saves some head scratching later !

The Autocoach is one of Mr.Dapols' finest, it certainly is a lovely model. Only thing letting it down for me are the couplings which tend to fall off ! And the large speaker enclosure inside the cab ( which I have removed ).

Keep up the good work !

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2020 at 10:09, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Well the results are in.......................unfortunately I have not won the lottery nor do we have an exact match but I am very pleased with how close the match actually is. There is a slight difference when you really look hard with the naked eye but on a layout and after weathering, even slight, I think any different in shade would not be noticable.

Here they are; The two ends are Railmatch and the middle Vallejo Air. Not really sure as to why the loco coal wagon has a lighter shade to the gunpowder van.

DSCF0131.JPG.ddc41e9987138855c03cc81894adaeb3.JPG

Personal opinion is the Railmatch is a bit too light really, the Vallejo looks much better to me. Weathering with a dark wash should tone them down nicely.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Have been applying finishing touches to the pre-printed wagons. Having to mix a colour match to the red/orange wagons had me worried but think I have got away with it. I've started on the loco coal wagons as well. Unfortunately the transfers I ordered are for 20t wagons not the 10t. A shameful error on my behalf now I have to get some 20 tonners as well. nice little group and the cattle wagons are ready once I have the numbers and appropriate transfers;

DSCF0134.JPG.3651dbd57da58dea2f417dd8d711a05d.JPG   DSCF0135.JPG.3fdc9fdfc0fc2248a61efe67169e7685.JPG

Research has been very slow for actual wagons numbers for W1 and W5 as well as the N13 loco coal wagons. Whilst my other WW1 project has completely hit a wall as I can not find any evidence of military running numbers for the rectank wagons. I have a number from GWR whilst being on loan. May be this is all and that is why I can not find any.

I have a a few more cattle wagons of other diagrams and managed to find nearly the right amount of actual wagon documentation to accommodate these once built.

Alas the hedge was cut today so no modelling.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Not very much happening of any consequence. Got the open wagons completed with the couplings, oops started another one, this time I have to apply the dry-rub transfers to the sides and ends. Should be sport at least.

Oh and snaffled some (I think) picture frame protection and used my Dad's old camera case to create a stock box and protection for those kit built wagons;

DSCF0141.JPG.9ffdc238c0fceb918373c454c0dce1e8.JPGDSCF0144.JPG.0e06deac2950fb9aa11c4e4ba2d4e93c.JPGDSCF0142.JPG.79782fdf967f420257dff659a80b5c28.JPGDSCF0143.JPG.ca6d975b05a0b1bceecca099620b7f71.JPG

Should be able to use any spares in another box or crate. They also seem to make nice cradles for painting/building. Should be OK for locos as well.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Methinks you have a business case there! (no pun intended).

PS: Ok so maybe it would't make you a millionaire, but very clever I think. Also a nice way to carry forward your dad's camera case.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have snaffled a little item on that ebaying thing for a stealth project! I think I will build another long planned project alongside it for company.

Anyway the foam cradles appear to be working well;

DSCF0223.JPG.200c1761a2c815af171f79a5a280af81.JPG  New best friend also in shot 10/0 paint brush for those inner irons. They do look better in the picture but after coal dust etc will rub up fine I am sure. if not just add a load.

Taken ages to get the wagon sides ready for the rub on transfers to compliment the pre-printed ones. Nice contrast though between the red and black;

DSCF0222.JPG.4e0830ca3f0942dbca6ad55021ad2aa7.JPG  Transfers will be added when brave enough. I will show the results as Powsides have loads of these listed on their site and could prove a great source for some people, I think I have got all the ones that relate to Chippenham. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Much progress! Is the stealth project hidden in the picture somewhere? I suppose not.

I see you have one of the DCC concepts back to back gauges. I got one recently, has proven quite useful already.

Having spent a couple of very informative hours in my local model shop (2 hour round trip!) I think I have a good colour match for GWR cream and brown. Both new colours are from the Vallejo Air range and are Hull Red 71.039 (brown) and Beige 71.074 (cream). Bottle test are very close will have to do swatch tests soon to confirm but very hopefully for these. Sadly could not find a green to match GWR loco green from Railmatch so will have to continue using this.

DSCF0224.JPG.2ad8b05073ea6dbe60be574b3afef471.JPG

Picked up some other needs for the future pieces and also the Bachmann 8750 Pannier in Wartime Black, lovely. this will becomes good friends with the warflats.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Whilst making an order for the name/number plates for the to new projects at Narrow Planet noticed they have some War Dept Devon Port wagon transfers. Ideal for a gunpowder wagon that I built a while ago, still waiting for transfer livery and I have a couple of the open wagon kits that I was going to find some more Powsides transfers for but this opportunity has risen so well worth a quick build.

Just finishing off the first of the rectank loads, two whippet tanks from WW1. Nice little kits to build from Emhar not overly taxing but very enjoyable, research numbers and colours now.

Oh and of course get that red wagon finished!

• Like 1

Dry rub transfers applied and very happy with the results. Will seal them tomorrow as I have had to touch up a little with white paint. They are tricky to get exact and then taped for rubbing but the result is worth the extra care required.

DSCF0227.JPG.060c5d867129e8ff2ca7bf72cf3e09b8.JPG    Whippets are ready and primed!  DSCF0225.JPG.70d74611f319603edbc2808a7596eba8.JPG

Very strange looking machines. Here's a side angle without the outer tracks as I need to paint the inner slope as this was the dirt/mud drop for the tracks as they moved over and around. The shoots are on the out tracks which would really hamper painting/detailing if already fixed. Extra weight added inside to help add extra weight to the rectanks, once built.

DSCF0226.JPG.2b9ca55eda0c409d88c8eafc820cccf8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking very good, I have a few of those Powsides transfers somewhere in the drawer of doom, do you have any advice on applying them? Last time I used anything similar was letraset when I was at school about 35 years ago!

Thanks @MrWolf I have a highly and very technically rubbing tool, :read: . It was given to me by a colleague, not sure if it was a joke, from a brush set for nail art but works a treat. Just a blunt ended metal end on paint brush. 

For the wagon livery it required cutting as close to the lettering as possible as it all goes in one piece. Light touches when positioning, as too heavy/tight pressure and the transfer will locate itself to where ever you are pressing and fix with masking tape before starting the rubbing process. Then slowly and methodically from one side of the transfer to the other. Fingers crossed all is well but as long as you have a good process and some luck it usually works out just the initial positioning is key.

• Thanks 1