Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Some progress today. I had forgotten how fiddley the Cambrian travelling crane kit is and I'm not even making the whole thing. Junior has been in action again! Chassis reduction to accommodate the rear bogie. Surprising how an afternoons work appears so little when captured in a picture. 

How to attach both the bogie and the crane so they clear everything and any opportune is always an area that needs a lot of consideration so that is what I will be doing for a while as the filler for the dome area and roof harden off.

For your consideration and comments as always; (picture a little dark but those are the times lol. That meant as Guinness in on the menu tonight.  :drink_mini:

DSCF0398.JPG.e2cbb2fbd56b66923b91f1aa22c26837.JPG

By-the-way what a wonderful virtual event the World of Railways guys have put on once more. Thank you to everyone involved with the production as it is fabulous and a great way to support the hobby  through the difficult time we face world wide. Thank you.

• Like 4

Getting closer. Most of the major construction complete so just some details to add to the loco and then the crane element, oh and rivets! May even get it finished before the plates arrive.

DSCF0402.JPG.aab38b720383f1b38a07239304baebbc.JPG 

One of my favorite jobs is handrails or (to come later) guard and guide rails                         DSCF0403.JPG.1e975244564a5e3ec67d5c807a4d51d7.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Marvelous job! Are you working from a drawing and what did you use for the pony truck? 

Asking because I have a spare crane kit lying around and a battered Hornby half can pannier that I pinched the bunker off for another project.

• Thanks 1

@MrWolf the pony is a Cambrian C37 Gloucester Bogie kit. I have left most of the parts off and made my own.

Rivets now added and waiting finish spraying. Looks better when completely finished, honest.

DSCF0407.JPG.82e8c8fe1743598a0f38ccca3f221a7e.JPG

As for the loco itself coming on nicely. Footplate extension now firmly in place, rivets added and coal bunkers installed. Surprised myself by creating the rounded corner and making the nice fluted lip. Not that it will be noticed once complete and painted.

DSCF0405.JPG.ed69bed8bd44730e184d872952db873f.JPG    DSCF0406.JPG.e8df8fd32653a0f13c69ea7ea87040f9.JPG

Need to drill out holes near the cab for the brass whistles but other than that ready for priming, I think, will require a further once over check just in case. Incidentally the large hole in the floor is where the Hornby block chassis and wheels just show, as you can see the base of the coal bunker is curved for wheel clearance. The smaller hole is for connecting the crane to the loco to allow it to be rotated.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

That is progressing incredibly well. I can imagine how fiddly those bunkers were. Much easier if it was a part built kit with the roof not fitted.

I presume that you are using that traditional method of mental torture that is cutting individual rivets from rod? 

Below is my "spares" pannier, in the dump sidings at Aston. It's as it came, other than I have salvaged the bunker. I looked at the toolboxes from the Cambrian crane kit and realising that they need to be cut and shortened, I substituted a toolbox from a damaged Bachmann shunters truck that I had already robbed the wheels out of. It's a good fit, so no problems when the chassis is extended.

Rob

IMG_20201118_110859.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. I think the tool box on the shunters wagons are deeper than the Cambrian one as there are two on the single wagon. Careful cutting means you can keep the strapping on all four sides.

Remember though the prototype had a metal tool box I am using the wooden one to produce slightly different  minor details one to my previous build, so if I keep it I do not end up with double vision.

• Informative/Useful 1

I must admit that I haven't looked at the pictures of the original loco for quite a while. I think that a wooden toolbox would be more interesting anyway. Besides, if and when I get it built, the crane tank will probably get a different name and be operating a long way from Swindon.

I like that! Puts me in mind of the staveley ironworks crane tanks.

You should have a bash at the pannier conversion, those Hornby 2721s can be had cheaply and you ARE the acknowledged expert at building the Cambrian GWR crane! :boast:

• Like 1

@AlfaZagato Thank you. I am hoping they build nicely but they are on the shelf at the moment as I need to touch base again with railway items. 

Whilst waiting for paint to dry got brave and finished the transfers for the Devonport military wagons.

DSCF0412.JPG.8c9aafc2c8657e7a5dc35f5d948e2523.JPGDSCF0413.JPG.fd692aa7acab727be142d511b3243c3a.JPG

Happy with the results a little weather (long time later than now) will help no end. 

Oh and left with this after the Cyclops build. I have some buts to finish of the crane body to make and the job parts with be required but for the sprues who knows what to do?....................................................I have a sneaky idea :smoke:

DSCF0414.JPG.8229b786b4272f7cdb255d624797c764.JPG

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Love wathing the work you do.   Just spent the morning catching up on this thread..

I have to warn you, those Emhar Male/Female kits are absolute pigs.   At least, they were when I built mine some 12 years ago.

Likewise, the vintage Airfix ones were nicer to build. Don't know if they are still available?

The Emhar 1/35 tanks were nice to build. I actually enjoyed assembling all those individual track links and working springs on the German tank. What a weird machine!

• Like 1

And boom here it is..........................................................

DSCF0415.JPG.11117c2cab230c7844d76b9fe19c4d90.JPG

A cheeky little one planker that will be in GWR red to go with the others, just to make @Mikkel smile and to go with the two new cattle wagon kits that are on the way. I plan them to be red as well. That should finish a nice little train, although I will have to make up a short toad at some point to properly finish.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

You don't wait around Matt, lots of stuff going on :good:

Nice little 1-planker, it will look good in red. If anyone asks, you could say it is one of the many Saltney-built GWR 1-plankers. Few people will know what you are talking about!

Just make sure to avoid @Compound2632's piercing gaze. He has a nice drawing of such a wagon here: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Just make sure to avoid @Compound2632's piercing gaze.

Well, he shouldn't have tagged me. The Great Western's ordinary 1-plank wagons were all built before the adoption of iron / steel underframes. It looks to me like a Rhondda & Swansea Bay Railway wagon:

image.png.ff319ada7e039c4c32dbe6bcd8931b52.png

NRM DY 11406,  released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Anyway, I'm indebted to @Mikkel for bringing this topic to my attention - some first rate wagonry going on.

Are you still after numbers?

N13: all in the 9xxx series but scattered.

W1: 38211-38800, 38823-39000, 68001-68122, 68133-68282, 68313-68337, 68363-68412, plus random numbers in the 13xxx series.

W5: random numbers in the 13xxx, 16xxx, and 26xxx series.

I have a copy of Atkins on lockdown loan so if you want to know some of those random numbers, please just ask!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Though it asks a few questions.  

The brake lever goes the wrong way, which suggests it predates the BoT requirement for all brakes to be on the right as you look at the vehicle.  On which basis you might expect it to be brakes at one end only, but it’s got a tiebar between the W irons, so both axles are braked for sure.

Strangely spindley buffer stocks.

and the centre of gravity of a full, or empty, barrel must be around the mid height mark, which suggests those standing upright are likely to make a bid for freedom in the case of a good hard shunt.  Surely they weren’t going to let it run like that?

I wonder what was, or had been, in the barrels.  They are chalked “VH”, perhaps beer for the Victoria Hotel?  Was there such an establishment in Rhondda? 

still, nice wagon...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1