Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

• RMweb Gold
On 22/06/2021 at 18:35, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I think you are right. I have put a 'slate' filter to the picture in an attempt for black and white (not very good with photoshop stuff) and all the rust and dirt disappear to leave quite white white.

DSCF0314.JPG.e4eb80bdf2aa02fef64bd952f9989c3e.JPG

This is the same original pic put through an orthochromatic filter in Photoshop.

image.png.7cc613df8396142b13e74dc23e1aa5d5.png

Edited by 57xx
Speeling Eroors
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

This is the same original pic put through an orthochromatic filer in Photoshop.

57xxx many thanks appreciate your help. I think your picture does very much suggest the lost lighter dirt and rust colouring could happen with those pictures we see of med wagons in books.

Having repeated the lime wash with a heavily diluted white I am much happier. It seems to have brought together and soften the tones and shades for a more natural appearance rather than any one particular colour standing out.

Thank you again.

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Here we are with protected with herd mentality.

DSCF0328.JPG.1feb6af7376501378e237e92fff33989.JPG  Devon Reds circ 20/30s.  Soon to be loaded using the rule of 4 bubble. I appreciate the straw can not really be seen

once the cattle are in and the roof on but I know its there. I have also tipped my cap to that fact with the odd piece sticking out of the vents. This was inspired by Maurice Pearce's work showcased at gwr.org.uk and again my thanks to Mikkel for pointing me in that direction, thank you Sir. Will be more obvious on the open wagon :o

DSCF0329.JPG.1d7ad8545be640a1529dff714d9085da.JPG   DSCF0330.JPG.9426f2bdcedf1519d19611d6534635b6.JPG

That looks very good Matt, Maurice's example now has several equals. Something for me to strive for.

Nice Devon Reds too, have you mentioned what make they are?

15 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I am now educated thanks to @Mikkel and he infinite knowledge and library. :yahoo:

Sheep travel in cattle wagons - Mex not cattle wagon, hence.

Not really knowledge, just the library. BTW I took the photo below at the Steam museum at Swindon, and have been wondering what it actually shows (if there is a written text I missed it).

image.png.1f8754bb81f5ddce6de4fe6866de03da.png

I can see how very small numbers of sheep might be sent as "goods" - similar to photos showing a single calf in a road van etc. But I would have thought the legs would be tied up, as also done in e.g. African countries when livestock is carried on public buses etc. I am probably missing something.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Nice Devon Reds too, have you mentioned what make they are?

Thank you, total repaints with Vallejo Hull Red and washed with Citadel; Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade then a very brief dry brush with the Hull Red again. Sorry forgot to mention. They are a mix. 4 from a white metal Dairy set I think Langley two rubbery Hornby and the rest are Model Scene/Peco.

I am using one white metal per wagon as extra wagon weight, with one exception as I only have 4 so liquid gravity on the straw.

Not much room for numbers.

DSCF0331.JPG.f7e9a405d00fae93d31a34f60a6e4b16.JPG  DSCF0332.JPG.66da8fc35ca8bcebec883b89980b45df.JPG

Here's the finished rake after Dullcote. Will need some couplings but that is it. Mixed Mex W1/5

DSCF0333.JPG.f38c5c3918e9af25fa759a308c6e58a7.JPG  DSCF0334.JPG.510efd20a55f91b51c86da6e11658345.JPG

DSCF0337.JPG.4ef1290d54bf943ce7cdc8663878cf27.JPG  DSCF0336.JPG.db34199d8b2328b2e80d7f12415af333.JPG

Now for the later, cleaning wagons and hopefully can get the final transfers to complete as well as the siphons.

DSCF0335.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

57xxx many thanks appreciate your help. I think your picture does very much suggest the lost lighter dirt and rust colouring could happen with those pictures we see of med wagons in books.

Having repeated the lime wash with a heavily diluted white I am much happier. It seems to have brought together and soften the tones and shades for a more natural appearance rather than any one particular colour standing out.

Thank you again.

No probs, I thought as it further enhanced your thoughts it would be useful to see.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while, as we all seem to start with especially during the summer months. Hope everyone is well and coping with nature's beast.

The Mex wagons have finished well and I am very pleased with the end result of the five lime washed versions I have to now replicate this for another three once the final wave of transfers are produced and arrive. This should also bring about the finalisation of the siphon Cs. I am thinking of adding a few more Cs to the fleet but this time without head boards - you can never have enough milk transport.

Now for something that this thread has firmly at it's roots;

As there were no suggestions for appropriate figures of cows to continue loading wagons I have been searching the interweb for appropriate stock, especially not bank breaking stock as they are to be inside. I have discovered what I think are very nice, accurate and affordable models of cows. Personally I am not keen on the one kneeling but each to their own and certainly what be fine within the right location. These are produced by the seller and are resin. I did find some white metal ones but at 3x the price all in could not justify them for loads. These are 1:76 scale, unfortunately I do not have any of my other ones to have a direct side by side comparison as they are in the wagons now but I am sure they stand a tiny bit shorter than the Model Scene and Langley ones I had as I believe most are HO scale (ish) rather than true 1:76 scale. Anyway I bought a test set 6x at £3.49. 5 different poses with the standing one twice. Here they are;

DSCF0347.JPG.a5558507a4b0fb554a2856f9d9f57ac1.JPGDSCF0351.JPG.1befc324e7c2f1ca38e1834cd132eeca.JPG

DSCF0352.JPG.248a86f093c266b90b9ab1a91641ba71.JPG 

These are pretty much as received. very little in the way of flash or injection/build lines and with some very nice muscle detail. I can only apologies for the poor pictures. I could not get the focus right.

I asked the seller if they produced the items themselves and if so are they able to produce specific poses as I am particular interested in two of the standing type rather than having to squeeze or adapt each set. resulting in;

DSCF0353.JPG.8d03374955462d08027ea89a50d476fe.JPG  I have an instant herd of 50 35 standing and 15 mooing. These are (in my opinion) perfect for wagon loads.

Some will need a couple of hooves gluing as they are delicate and currently the postal system does not allow for this.

I asked if the seller (AJ) would mind me posting his details on here to help others especially as model animals for loads or just fields are very samey and hugely expensive if you need more than 5. Of course he agreed but seriously nice solid models with decent definition. He does various scales and 1:86 (HO) is required. He is on eBay under the seller name 'serious-play' but my suggestion would be to have a look at his website as there is a better deal and discounts there especially if you join the serious-play club. 

DSCF0354.JPG.d90def8dbd584118f3b4749883be8ac0.JPG 

*Usual disclaimer; I have no connection with the company or seller just a very happy customer*

Will just need to remove a couple bits of flash although the two standing types I have do not need it and see how well they take paint. Stay tuned.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info Matt, they look like a good option for cattle wagons. The kneeling one may look a bit odd as you say, but when placed inside I suppose it can only be seen from above, so maybe it will be OK with some hay around it. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/07/2021 at 08:36, Mikkel said:

Thanks for the info Matt, they look like a good option for cattle wagons. The kneeling one may look a bit odd as you say, but when placed inside I suppose it can only be seen from above, so maybe it will be OK with some hay around it. 

Not sure how much of the animal would be visible once the roof is on however open wagons and docks would give a very different pose and more realistic as I am sure the animals were very scared.

• Like 2

I have finally been able to test the liquid solvent bulk purchase I discussed a while ago. There are plenty of plastic weld/cement type adhesives for bulk buy on eBay and I got brave and tried one; SHL PURE METHYL ETHYL KETONE MEK BUTANONE. The smell is exactly what I remember as a child when using 'liquid cement' and it appears to work in the same way. Not as aggressive as EMA plastic weld and takes a little longer to grab so very good for delicate plastic use and for thin plastic sheet. Ideal as all my building will have to be scratch built.

I am still looking for a more aggressive weld for plastic as I prefer using EMA Plastic Weld for thicker plastic kits and other random stuff.

Has anyone a any experience or comments for this please; 

Plastic Cement Weld Glue Perspex Acrylic Hobby Crafts DIY 250 ml Styrene ABS 

Ebay number; 161991674479

Seller ID; apl-chemicals

Sorry I can not create a link but I think just searching using the number will bring it up. Although those that have experienced it will know anyway. Review/views/experience greatly appreciated please. It looks like a decent purchase and equivalent to EMA Plastic Weld but I do not want another load of similar solvent. I appreciate easy answer is to go and get some EMA but I do not live anywhere near a supplier so reliant on mail order. Best I can find is 2x 57ml EMA £10.00 all in.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

• Informative/Useful 2

Well with no recommendations or advice to hand on the different glue I decided to go for what you know rather than another duff (ish) purchase. It has led me to a discovery though...rubber brushes. I'm a little slow so this is probably old news for you all but it is new to me and a most interesting discovery. These are apparently aimed at weathering with pigments (I presume powders rather than paint). Ordered a set to check out as these could be very useful with Tamiya powders. The supple sponge 'brush' does not seem very well attached to the handle and will likely need replacing after a little further use. Fingers crossed.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

The rubber brushes sound interesting, thanks for the info Matt.

I've  just had a look at a video about them, but that was the usual bloke talking for ages before demonstrating what could be shown in 10 seconds - so I'd much rather hear about your experiences :) 

• Agree 2

The rubber brushes sound interesting, thanks for the info Matt.

I've  just had a look at a video about them, but that was the usual bloke talking for ages before demonstrating what could be shown in 10 seconds - so I'd much rather hear about your experiences :) 

They arrived today. Here's a 'first look' at them as I am still waiting for the final set of transfers I do not have anything to use them on as of yet.

DSCF0367.JPG.688a896f765cf6c1934dc953fa1f35c3.JPG

They seem to be made well and have much longer handles than I am used to  although a direct comparison shows me they are at most 1cm longer. 

In essence a standard modelling paint brush without the bristles, replaced with a solid shaped piece of silicon. I am very hopefully these are going to do a great job with the powders. Some of the thinner more pointy shaped ones may even be useful for more precise detailing i.e. painting eyes and mouths, dials and rivets.

Will update as soon as.

• Informative/Useful 3

Yes, I have. The pack was marked "Made for Smiths W&T by..." I've binned the header card now, but the links snapped when twisted sideways to open them up - as per the instructions! 

I usually use Slater's three link couplings as they're a bit finer in my opinion. That said, the latest pack I bought was a set of ten pairs, but only contained eleven springs instead of twenty.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I usually use Slater's three link couplings as they're a bit finer in my opinion. That said, the latest pack I bought was a set of ten pairs, but only contained eleven springs instead of twenty.

I use the Slater's 3-links. Did you ring them up to report the deficiency of springs? The occasional mistake can happen; they're a small friendly firm not some soleless corporation. They sometimes run out of either the etching, the springs, or the links.

• Informative/Useful 1

I bought them privately via eBay, still sealed. You usually get more links and springs than you need, I found four spares and will probably use the springs (cut down) from the Smiths kit to make up the shortfall. I've never had a problem with them before and find them easier to fit than other brands because my right hand only works at about 75% .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Talking of eBay here's a little ABS match truck I accidently won, by which I mean I put the start price bid on and no one else bid. totally unexpected but nice. As I still have the cattle wagons to complete but having to rely on external influences I turned my attention to what I hoped would be a pleasant an quick build.

Used my old HMRS transfers for this, seem to have worked out. The build was a little tricky as the W irons are all sperate requiring alignment but if place where prototype suggests the brake gearing is pinched by at least 1mm. Overcome this issue from the spares box, which is now considerable, used a plastic set from the recent cattle wagon efforts and shaved the shoes down a little. Works for me.

DSCF0374.JPG.4d7f087850e4de742ea0927e58ac159a.JPG  DSCF0375.JPG.7bd9c0f86532fd55151d01e5a9f86543.JPG

Decent little addition to stock.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 31/07/2021 at 21:47, MrWolf said:

Yes, I have. The pack was marked "Made for Smiths W&T by..." I've binned the header card now, but the links snapped when twisted sideways to open them up - as per the instructions! 

I too prefer the Slaters couplings as they are certainly finer.

What do you do with the pair that always seem to not have the cut at the end for bending? I have tried cutting and bending on it's self both work but the bending is better for me.

I have a stash of Smiths 3 link though so will have to work through those before acquiring more Slaters although the cattle wagons may see the end of that stash, possibly.

Mean while a herd of zombie cattle transform to near mortals again.

DSCF0376.JPG.60363923123053b75af2d35804012628.JPG                         DSCF0377.JPG.cb4ff5bb8e32f6f5de5587cc88d8e4a3.JPG  Once I fixed a few broken legs

(no flash scraping) give a blast of primer. Then on to the base coat.

DSCF0378.JPG.ddace63d6176a1cb585192652e927408.JPG

• Like 5