Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Simond said:

Though it asks a few questions.  

The brake lever goes the wrong way, which suggests it predates the BoT requirement for all brakes to be on the right as you look at the vehicle.  On which basis you might expect it to be brakes at one end only, but it’s got a tiebar between the W irons, so both axles are braked for sure.

It's got normal brakes on the other side, with one block acting on each wheel. The LH-facing lever on this side works those via the cross-shaft - a not uncommon arrangement to give a brake operable from either side but as you say the eventual BoT requirement was for a lever at the RH end. I think that came into force in 1911 or thereabouts but with a period of grace for conversion of existing stock. The L&YR was very fond of this arrangement and of course the original Dean-Churchward brake (DC1) was fundamentally the same arrangement, even if the linkage was different. 

I see no tiebar between the W irons. I think that's the not at all polished top of the rail you can see.

1 hour ago, Simond said:

and the centre of gravity of a full, or empty, barrel must be around the mid height mark, which suggests those standing upright are likely to make a bid for freedom in the case of a good hard shunt.  Surely they weren’t going to let it run like that?

I wonder what was, or had been, in the barrels.  They are chalked “VH”, perhaps beer for the Victoria Hotel?  Was there such an establishment in Rhondda?

The photo was taken on 29 April 1920, at Derby, as part of a series illustrating correct and incorrect loading. So it may just be set up for the photo. If not, I suspect they're empties on their way back to Burton - not necessarily starting from South Wales, as wagons of this type were pooled by this date. 

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have been following this deviation in the thread with interest as I have a couple of absorbed wagons in mind, two plank types from the Cambrian and the Brecon & Merthyr. I don't suppose you have any plausible number series for those? Sorry about the hijack @Bluemonkey presents....

Not I, as Atkins doesn't deal with absorbed stock, much. But others may know: @corneliuslundie may be your best starting point.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There are hundreds of Cambrian 2-plank wagons built over the years with various differences.  For a start are yours drop side or fixed side? There have been a couple of different kits and I think I have recorded the numbers appropriate to each. There are also various drawings around, one in the Mike Lloyd collection and one at the HMRS. If you can pin down the version you want to build I may well be able to help with possible numbers.

Jonathan

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I have been following this deviation in the thread with interest as I have a couple of absorbed wagons in mind, two plank types from the Cambrian and the Brecon & Merthyr. I don't suppose you have any plausible number series for those? Sorry about the hijack @Bluemonkey presents....

@MrWolf no not at all, no hijack just really pleased to share the thread, this is exactly what I was hoping for thread that others would join in.

17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Anyway, I'm indebted to @Mikkel for bringing this topic to my attention - some first rate wagonry going on.

Are you still after numbers?

N13: all in the 9xxx series but scattered.

W1: 38211-38800, 38823-39000, 68001-68122, 68133-68282, 68313-68337, 68363-68412, plus random numbers in the 13xxx series.

W5: random numbers in the 13xxx, 16xxx, and 26xxx series.

I have a copy of Atkins on lockdown loan so if you want to know some of those random numbers, please just ask!

@Compound2632  thank you for your comments.

Thank you for the numbers very much appreciate it I have plucked some from the Atkins I am after pictorially recorded wagons in particular as my original brief is to model definite service numbers then if not possible to use randoms from the series.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Thank you for the numbers very much appreciate it I have plucked some from the Atkins I am after pictorially recorded wagons in particular as my original brief is to model definite service numbers then if not possible to use randoms from the series.

Atkins lists actual numbers for each lot* but I wasn't going to start typing those out if unsure you needed them! The edition I have is the third, the large one-volume edition from 1998. I did have a look at the first, two volume, edition of 1975/6 but that has, as I recall, rather less information on numbering.

Great Western wagon enthusiasts are very fortunate in that the wagon registers survive at the National Archives and at the NRM (volumes covering different periods) so in principle the history of any particular running number is known. My main interest is the Midland, for which any wagon numbering records were destroyed either in the Blitz or in 1960s bonfires, so one really is reliant on photos in the most part. 

*Unfortunately not all of them, though. For example, N13 Lot 498: 9011, 9109, 9282. 9299, 9337, 9402/03/16/19/22/26/27/55/67, 9501/21/22 etc (50) - so "etc" covers 33 numbers or 2/3rds of the lot.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not very much happening in recent times as I have been side-tracked with a new development on an on-going project! The name and number plates are on their way.

At least the safety rails are now in place all soldered up and nicely fitting. Just the side cylinder pistons to do before priming, painting and possibly putting on the market.

DSCF0001.JPG.8742bd01dd86c5e60ae41913a0e1dd86.JPGDSCF0002.JPG.94c4273b226a764141e010bce999860a.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 5

Firstly, I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year :drink_mini:. Thank you to everyone who has contributed with opinions, advice and support it is very much appreciated. 

I have a couple of teasers for you;

DSCF0009.JPG.e8a5ecdf31438df7ad9fc031d356a0e6.JPG  This is ready on the bench to be primed and painted but is it a giant picket fence or part of the stairway to heaven. It could be something of the later for me.

Another clue.. I have been avoiding starting these for a little while now, today I have walked the dogs in the rain, cleaned three aquariums 'been' to work so what can the matter be?! Will post results unless of course I can find some more things to distract me like cleaning the car, inside and out. Write next years Christmas cards, do the washing up, cook?

P.S. each brass strip is 3mm (ish) wide, 82mm long and 0.6mm (ish) thick. I really need to find a suppler for such strips of brass, they are going to be so useful!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 30/12/2020 at 07:40, Mikkel said:

Bring out the mustard! :)

12 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Calne you give another clue?

You rare both very much on the right track (single branch). Here's an update with another clue;

DSCF0010.JPG.a3c0348ba0a6a5e80c93de3061f58c20.JPG   Cyclops is coming on nicely nearly ready for the sales room.  DSCF0011.JPG.a5be17c4d5de58f68f0cc434ede9b86e.JPG

• Like 2

OK for those who like to pop the prosecco don't forget to unwrap the cork nicely to preserve and keep the foil, especially the textured stuff and of course the cork for figure painting etc. Christmas chocolate wrappers need careful selection and safe keeping for all those tarps. It may be party time (albeit differently this year) but the the modelling must come first! Seek, secure, store and guard. 

Happy modelling to all for 2021.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had hoped to bring you the result of the little teases but I was not happy with the paint finish on the strips so have to do it again. I am waiting the pain to harden but think I will have to the do the reverse side as well so, as always, it will be delayed further but for me it will be worth the end result. Don't want to build it up too much as it will not be as exciting for you guys.

Sorry.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
Sorry
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2020 at 19:51, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

OK for those who like to pop the prosecco don't forget to unwrap the cork nicely to preserve and keep the foil, especially the textured stuff and of course the cork for figure painting etc.

Argh, I forgot it again.

Happy new year Matt!

• Thanks 1

Well the last week or so has been a struggle with motivation. The fact that the simple job of painting the brass strip proved such a pain in the backside really knocked momentum. However after stripping completely back and starting again I got a result that I can live with. So now the question is what are they for?!

The answer is some old friends.

DSCF0019.JPG.69613d5812b58a0bbc2252c030076f75.JPG

Here's a little mock up from my research;

DSCF0017.JPG.a497fe1f50a1ac3cca72b9ece8eda0d2.JPGDSCF0020.JPG.86b488dd9f8a765fb482c3e423f60b78.JPG

I have to thank Mark from the Facebook group GWR Modellers for making the transfers for both the livery and the destination boards. The transfers are really good in clarity and detail and they are superb to work with, needing very little 'water time'.

We have also researched and developing some suitable transfers for the Siphon Fs. The destination boards and side panels are coincidently the same size. I plan to attempt the earliest livery where the running number and lettering was painted on the louvres meaning visible gaps throughout!

Still have the cattle wagons W1/W5 to add transfers to but will put them on a back burner until I get some more specific transfers that I am confident with instead of what I have in stock. Might be more emails to Mark ;) 

The rectank trains will have to wait I think as again transfers are required and I can not keep bombarding Mark with requests, research and designs.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Those boards look excellent Matt, really well executed in my opinion. The struggles that went before are invisible. 

It's interesting how the boards transform the siphons. Suddenly they are quite unique. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

With Cyclops project drawing to a conclusion I am turning my sights to other things. I have a number of projects/kits in mind, as much of us will. The streamlined King will be taking a back seat for the time being as I have had enough of build bashing at the moment.

Having bought a brand new complete brass kit some years ago as a personal present (one of only a few brand new kits I have ever been able to purchase!) I am considering that . It will need to be a single focused build, rather than the usual build a couple at the same time. Or another group of wagon kits to batch build. I am feeling the soldering urge though as I have been dealing with plastic kits for some time now.

Here's one option (GWR No1);

DSCF0037.JPG.60aaf67d8f50b7697afaa71a7c97efc2.JPGDSCF0039.JPG.5e5a51fe99dd5be6b3bd1a02ccb56ca6.JPG

DSCF0040.JPG  Name plates are a big of fun on top of the true prototype.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...