Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

On 31/05/2020 at 07:37, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt, that looks fantastic. Perseverance always pays off, doesn't it. Congratulations on getting it done, sounds like it's one of those situations where finishing a model is like having a ball and chain removed from your ankles :)

PS: Are you aware that 7mm display case models have a legal right to at least one accompanying wagon?

Thank you and yes it is certainly a weight lifted.

Is this what you mean?

DSCF9929.JPG.9e04eca8691e30162ace19d98af27163.JPG

3 planker just for you.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Ha ha :D That's cheating!

It looks like you have turned the stored lamps inwards? I have noticed the same thing done in earlier periods, I suppose to prevent the lens/glass from breaking.

• Informative/Useful 1

Here's a question for the brave ones out there; "Gold or yellow?". This has been bothering me all weekend. Of course I am pondering the co!our of lettering for an early 20s tank engine.

Research suggests go!d lettering up to about 1927 and yellow after. Having asked the same question on another thread there is no further development on that. Now i have pictures of said locomotive one of grey factory livery which suggests gold and on 1907 suggesting it is yellow, unfortunately both in black and white. 

Further to this I have a Dean's  Good fully lined but with yellow letter, this tank was a conversion of the Dean's Goods so by default suggests the tank would also be yellow but I also have a 1934+ 2-8-0 tank unlined with gold lettering!!!!

The only thing I can say for sure is there is a garter between the word Great Western.

Any takers? Go on be brave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, this is out of my period but in Great Western Way (1978 edition) Slinn says lettering gold pre-WW1, then in 1922 yellow (gradual easing of austerity measures I assume), then in 1923 lettering back to gold. The after that in 1934 the monogram of course.

Edit: I am aware that many models appear with what seems to be yellow, including on the gwr.org.uk livery page for the period. Perhaps @Miss Prism has an opinion on the matter?

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not sure I can help much on this matter. The ever-troublesome GWW Edition 1 says gold up to 1922, yellow from 1922, gold from 1923, but doesn't say when yellow was reverted to (I assume post-1927). Ian Rathbone isn't specfic about the lettering colour. Maybe GWW Edition 2 says something less ambiguous.

I think we have had this debate on RMweb before, but it will take a while before it can be located.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Not sure I can help much on this matter. The ever-troublesome GWW Edition 1 says gold up to 1922, yellow from 1922, gold from 1923, but doesn't say when yellow was reverted to (I assume post-1927). Ian Rathbone isn't specfic about the lettering colour. Maybe GWW Edition 2 says something less ambiguous.

I think we have had this debate on RMweb before, but it will take a while before it can be located.

Thank you appreciate your knowledgeable input. I have decided on the Gold - 1922, Yellow 1923, gold -1927/8, yellow 1928+. This sits well with me.

The debate on RMWeb that I have read through very quickly meanders to other livery types but that is not to say there are not many more here!

• RMweb Gold

Was it this thread? Including K14's post and as he says, Haresnape's discussion (I had forgotten the Haresnape book, I have a photocopy of the GWR chapter somewhere - but where!).

Edited by Mikkel
  • Thanks 1

Well thank you to one and all here is the result of your help;

DSCF9933.JPG.5a19a3a93d8bd934440a05c0935cd913.JPG  DSCF9932.JPG.2596f8920450cbfb53229e7ae811b9e2.JPG

Not completely finished as I need to glaze the windows and fix the roof not to mention the couplings, lamps and rear sand pipes. Oh look a little red thing as well that'll need couplings as well!

DSCF9934.JPG.4d417843140e81f95def67d1210b5fec.JPG

Rather lazily I just took the livery appearance and number straight from the historical guidance in the instruction booklet but it goes nicely with the other two.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

GWR glory! That early prairie is rare to see on layouts. I can't remember what the aperture in the tanks was for, access to something but what?  

• Thanks 1

Lubrication of, and access to, the rocker shafts and associated links that transfer the movement of the inside motion to the outside valves.

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1