Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

7 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

That's the one, converted from a Dean Goods.

ah, no, it’s not.  My mistake, the Dean goods has inside cylinders and valves, and so does not need, or have, rockers.  

But the valve gear still needs lubrication, possibly adjustment, cleaning, etc!

sorry for the bum info

Simon

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Hi Nick, Yes it is an old Jackson-Evans brass/whitemetal kit. It is a 39xx Prairie converted from the Dean Goods of the day I believe.

A nice job you've made of it too.

The first time I heard of this class was one of Cyril Freezer's drawings in a 1970s Railway Modeller.

I remember thinking that would make an ideal Hornby clockwork loco - with apologies to any GWR servant's descendants! (My wife's grandfather was a fitter at OOC)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tried to match the red paint on the 3 plankers. Two from last year and this darker one this week. Nearly matched the mix but sadly not quite. I guess weather in the coming years will have that sorted and giving a better match although not as bad as picture two suggests.

DSCF9935.JPG.8cb80d5ba147eec064315e44dd67db93.JPGDSCF9936.JPG.4a60dea91e8c9766d98276e9de7c1b63.JPG

Now to move on to get those siphon Cs!

• Like 7

Just five and a half months after my initial order enquiry and plenty of chasing the flats have arrived yesterday!!!! Spent the afternoon clear flash and over spill shame about the quality but lets attempt a silk purse from those sow's ears. 

Knuckle down, first the 39xx needs it final detailing parts to complete then you can start!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

The GWR should have kept the red for wagons.......or is it because I'm fed up of painting stuff grey? 

I am sure Warren Branch could/would have a decrepit red one or a mink, with the aid of a little licence stuck away at the end of a siding.

Check out @Mikkel fabulous stock and layout/s for further inspiration.

A little help please. Has anyone got any super special ways to put 'glass' into loco windows please? I have spent all afternoon on the 39xx and have had to settle for a bodge. If the cab space as any larger or airier then I fear I would have ruined it but with roof one all is hidden. I need to learn a method to ensure I do not mess up future locos especially tender ones as there will be no hiding with them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. How do you all successfully do it?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I am sure Warren Branch could/would have a decrepit red one or a mink, with the aid of a little licence stuck away at the end of a siding.

It had crossed my mind ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

A little help please. Has anyone got any super special ways to put 'glass' into loco windows please? I have spent all afternoon on the 39xx and have had to settle for a bodge. If the cab space as any larger or airier then I fear I would have ruined it but with roof one all is hidden. I need to learn a method to ensure I do not mess up future locos especially tender ones as there will be no hiding with them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. How do you all successfully do it?

I believe some use deluxe materials glue n glaze for making windows

1651C80B-18D9-42AB-BB78-21418F606C14.jpeg.f7e24e089249a63447d7aa7239d44e6d.jpeg

I’m unable to recommend it for this purpose though because I’ve never been able to use it correctly but I believe others have had success with it

but I do use it to glue in clear plastic for building windows and I’ve found it useful for many other things too

Sorry I can’t be of any more help

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Thanks 1

So from one of an era to another!

DSCF9965.JPG.842e619665e3f6dbe2a48c10e0d310bd.JPG

Bits all lumped around ready to be put together with the wagon beds to be hand painted when a little cooler. Although say that, airbrushed the final coat yesterday in 33 degree heat on a 2mm needle without any tip drying or blockages again the paint with straight from the bottle.

• Like 5

Braved the heat and started painting. Well to be perfectly honest could not resist and needed the distraction. Pictures are for checking but as always suggestions/discussion encouraged.

DSCF9966.JPG.5470c0ef1ff6ae806d12369534a70d21.JPGDSCF9967.JPG.a04b9e692ddc44d1a1e30c7895491216.JPG

I don't think the pictures are really picking up the colours/shades as there are three different browns and a light greyish drybrush as well. Looking for the dirty used effect as the tank loads will be on the majority.

As working closely with the wagon it appears that I was sent 3 WW11 types and 1 WW1 (left side of picture one) arghhhhhh! What a nightmare this order has been, will not be repeating this.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It seem very little but I am no expert. In model terms the main difference is the chain hook up points. WW1 has 6 and WW11 has 7 being in slighty different positions but nothing major. Its mainly the disappointment of nearly six months wait and the wrong item is delivered as with the over riding quality. Not to worry make the best of what you have. Besides it is not very difficult to make another anchor pint especially as all the hooks have to be made as also not supplied, unlike the Matador Models wagon I originally started with.

I am going to have ago at rust weather some of the areas as a coup!e of the buffer beams received were also poorly cast. Honestly I can not believe they were actually sent out especially as the proprietor issued them!

I have some rectank wagons I will be making up with WW1 tank loads to contrast.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Well got on with the pigs and here's the result;

DSCF9972.JPG.52c291e3d1eed1a4087c36f6130fc2fe.JPG I might even put some dummy coupling hooks in someday.

Sooooooooooooooooooo having used Lanarkshire Models buffers for these I looked at the Matador buffers and was not convinced...……………………………..ATTACK! The carnage starts;

DSCF9969.JPG.fa93902d7272fa25ff14d7fb8e6a46c2.JPG  Whoops DSCF9970.JPG.9ff99ec526c6d88f9899cd894c088729.JPG

I think I managed to get away with it ending up with this;

DSCF9971.JPG.43ed09b603d89edbabb83bf97664ac7d.JPG  Added a little additional detail that is present on the other flat beds and fixed the damage.

Just need to build the loads and wait for the transfers to be printed. Talking of which, I need to finish those siphon C's off. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

After a day I decided I would not be able to live with the toyish looking oversized anchor points I made for the seven locating points each side of the wagon. Nothing else to do but remove all and reduce/replace with smaller ones. An annoying and teadious job one that makes you itch but the results make you realise just how ridiculous the previous efforts were :huh::negative:

Bizarrely the bare metal also looked wrong and required painting and a little shading with ink to tone to the wagon livery.

Just need to tank loads to be made up from the Airfix kits which I am looking forward to as the mouldings are very pleasing to work with and once do e I can get the airbrush out again :sungum:

Then the chains, tensioners and hooks to make up and secure the tanks :cray_mini::banghead:

By then hopefully Simon will have had the transfers we have been designing printed and they will be complete :senile:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A real shame you're not happy with what you had done but I find myself in that situation all the time so I can empathise

Loving the concept though, I really wish I'd thought about the time period of my layout a little more carefully before buying all my locos and rolling stock!

I would enjoy building a WWII based layout with tanks on wagons and a spitfire flying overhead, I may have to see if I'll get away with a little side project  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Loving the concept though, I really wish I'd thought about the time period of my layout a little more carefully before buying all my locos and rolling stock!

I would enjoy building a WWII based layout with tanks on wagons and a spitfire flying overhead, I may have to see if I'll get away with a little side project  

There is always room for 'special guests' I do have a Southern Q1 lurking somewhere in my boxes and plenty of London Transport Panniers!

Because I can not make my mind up regarding rolling stock and locos I decided to base my entire layout design on a time period and run what ever takes my fancy as long as it resembles something prototypical. For example running a Castle and King with a variety of coaching stock and/or mixed freight but I should not include those red 3 plankers same as those flats should not be pulled by something like a outside framed pannier. That's my thinking anyway.

Well here's a couple of snaps (not great lighting) of what there is and a comparison to the real picture/train that I am trying to copy;

DSCF9973.JPG.bb8155d8f50b70db24726d3febd10d53.JPG  DSCF9975.JPG.1d17e292717c9fa14c6892340768844e.JPG

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Like 2

Had a little niggle in the back of my mind when making these flats up with the jacked buffers and the tension couplings on the bogies. I do not normally include tension couplings with my kit built items. I tend to leave them for my rtr stock so generally I wont mixed to two but as most of the WW11 items are rtr I thought keep the little suckers (more like hookers I guess, naughty) on. Niggle niggle it kept on going and I ignored it. Painting up, niggle niggle still ignored it. Got to the stage as seen, still niggle niggle, still ignoring it but then it hits...…………………….! When forming up the train for the pictures those darn tension couplings will not allow the bogies to move anymore than 1mm, school boy error!! Listen to your niggles. Now they will have to have the couplings removed and 3 link ones inserted and something designed for the loco and first coupling I guess. And so it goes on! :banghead:

Been to the virtual railway exhibition. Thought it is brilliant and what an absolute brilliant idea from the guys, thank you all.

Anyway, suitable inspired got on with a couple if niff naff jobs.

All flats now have three link couplings. The Matador model had to have the metal dummy hook removed and drilled out to enable  coupling hooks to be inserted. Think I got away with it, especially as no repainting required. 

The bravery was flowing so hit a siphon C. Just for @Mikkel I chose 1503. As it is the only one with end lettering and numbering it is a must really. This particular one was branded 'To work between Calne and Bristol Temple Meads' so perfect for my fleet. The roof was painted in early livery with the help of a little wet/dry paper to key the gloss paintwork and careful brushwork!

Think these will do;

DSCF9985.JPG.1e8e039de8cdb3a6144ac847d4bf4b04.JPG    Just the one flat as an example. The only time these two will be together!

DSCF9982.JPG.f2296388f9a2e91150cd97e60410e3d1.JPG    DSCF9983.JPG.c19f2d5a8c2829cda2ded176519d8bda.JPG

The branded roof boards will be made up in the future when I can get myself sorted to draw up and research someone to be able to produce transfers for the lettering. Not all run with boards all the time so no rush.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Very pleasing to see No. 1503 at Chippenham! So we now have photo documentation of this vehicle at two locations on the GWR system, maybe there are others?

I like the rugged look of those flats. 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You got to love batch cooking! 

DSCF9986.JPG.631fdf89244b6027247e0881fd41f89f.JPG

Not exactly railway but will contribute as will be the loads for the flats. As you can see these mouldings from Airfix are superb , little if no flash. I am very tempted to prime them as is before removing and constructing. Insidently the fish wagon is there for repairs to the tie bar as it is very delicate and I was packing up all recent builds and snapped it.

Any words of wisdom to avoid this happening in the future to other wagons would be much appreciated, not just by myself but I am sure  the few others that may read this, please? All in plastic construction.

• Like 2