Chippenham - The Work Bench

Bluemonkey presents....

Thanks for the rub down transfers 101, I have somewhere amongst the scribers and punches in my workshop, a spare pointer from a bicycle wheel jig. It has a rounded and polished point and it's about pencil sized. I feel a repurposing coming on.

• Like 1

Colour samples; Railmatch on the left of each and Vallejo on the right. Figured I would use the already primed tank bottoms as they will not be seen anyway;  The colour match for the cream is very perfect, to the naked eye much closer.

The brown is not so close but after ink wash would probably be closer, there is another colour that I was debating which is Vallejo Mahogany (I think) but way to far and time etc to pop out to try a bottle!

DSCF0230.JPG.360405c16fe9c457feee3a9d1916ff7a.JPG  DSCF0229.JPG.ee96626d1986ebbe5ec18e527664c758.JPG

Also have to have in mind that the Railmatch paints is much thicker than Vallejo Air so a couple of coats would also make a decent depth.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Informative/Useful 3

Update along with a parking fine I have another colour. Whilst searching for Testers Dullcote I found a shop a little closer, certainly quicker/easier to get to and they stocked both.

Still not a match but I think with a black wash this should 'brush up' close. It is Vallejo Air Mahogany 71.036. The bottom of the three colours, again to the naked eye it is closer and deeper although reddish.

DSCF0234.JPG.b7a9996f90c5719eb2d1f9d1270efe13.JPG

OK this is the last on e this one, promise but the paint has now had time to fully dry and I also mixed the two new paints (Hull Red and Mahogany) 1:1 this is bottom right and small piece in the middle. I am happy with the results and especially as I seem now to always have either or both brown and black washes over the base GWR brown. I will of course try on a spare wagon or something in the future.

DSCF0235.JPG.15e904614b4f5e3f47d4a2b1157f9316.JPG

Finished the final private open wagon I have and I am more than really pleased with the end result, it does look 100% better in real life and not through a lens. Wheels and couplings are ready to add after a quick spray of Dullcote, when I do the rest of the preprinted wagons. I hope you agree the end results, especially this wagon have been worth a couple of hours here and there for the last couple of weeks but now I need to get those cattle wagons finished. I have been researching those running numbers that were heavily displaying lime wash and those that weren't. Oddly the W1 numbers I have are mainly clean and the W5 are the ones with lime wash.

DSCF0236.JPG.a0f33980c34da4e633e973809d4ab5db.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt, so much progress! (your posts seem to not always show up in my activity stream :huh:).

Very interested to see the Vallejo paint sampling going on. I use different Vallejo ones myself, but yours look good.

The stock box looks great, I look forward to trying out the foam! The case does add style. I am picturing you clicking open the lid with the words: "Bond, James Bond" :D.

• Funny 2

Thanks Mikkel. I am very happy with the stock box it works very nicely although it would be nice to even more wagons in.

The beige colour I am very happy with although usable the brown could possibly be changed for another if you have any suggestions?

The two project parts have arrived with the exception of the plates from Narrow Planet but they have a huge work load so wont be available for a little while. Even so they are one of the last things to go on so will not delay anything. I do need to complete those cattle wagons first though! Hopefully this weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Matt,

I use the following Vallejo, but your experiments look good so this is just for the record:

* Coach brown: 70822 German Cam. Black Brown

* Cream: 3 parts 70948 Golden Yellow + 1 part 70837 Pale Sand

* Venetian red (droplights and bolections): 70814 Burnt Cad. Red (with a dash of 70822)

* White (rooves): 70918 Ivory

You may find the 70822 brown a bit dull/not vibrant, I sometimes think so. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Matt,

I use the following Vallejo, but your experiments look good so this is just for the record:

* Coach brown: 70822 German Cam. Black Brown

* Cream: 3 parts 70948 Golden Yellow + 1 part 70837 Pale Sand

* Venetian red (droplights and bolections): 70814 Burnt Cad. Red (with a dash of 70822)

* White (rooves): 70918 Ivory

You may find the 70822 brown a bit dull/not vibrant, I sometimes think so. 

Thank you Sir, I'll have to check but I think I may have a cam brown dont know why I have not tried that. I am not that keen on mixing paint, never really get enough or make it as consistent. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Nice paint matching. Do I understand correctly that the 50/50 on the left hand side is German Cam Med + German Cam Brown? And satin/gloss maybe?

Thank you. Yes you are right, I should really have explained apologies.

The paint is a mixture of Colour and Air from Vallejo. The 50/50 is a mix of the two paints directly on the sheet, hence the heavy thickness. The Air  products are very thin so I have tried to show from one coat to what a couple of coats could look like.

It's the light and angle that is making the paint look more shiny than usual. The sheet is half primed plasticard. It's actually the base of one of my station buildings.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Matt. I'm wondering if the Air could be useful for hand painting too. I tend to build up in very thin layers for a smooth finish, so they could be useful for that maybe.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Could be very useful. The left hand side of the colour blobs is straight from the bottle and brush (without much care) so you can see how thin it is. You can spray with a 2mm airbrush directly from the bottle. Even though the paint is thin the colour is still strong.

It may take more layers than you would normally use though that would be the worry.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally plucked the courage to complete the WW1 Whippet tank transfers (Firefly and Fanny Adams). I say this only as the red and white markings are complete single transfers and was for me a little daunting as if it is wrong the whole job is ruined. I think I got away with it and very pleased with the overall job. Plenty of Microsol to soften the large transfers helped a great deal. The transfers supplied I feel are a little over scale but I have nothing else and after some inking they have settle in nicely. Well at least to my uneducated eyes. Sadly the light has reduced the actual depth of shade and colour on the tanks especially the tracks. I used multiple layers of for colours, dry brush metallic twice and a few washes of two inks.

DSCF0365.JPG.bfd6d212bfac83b9bb3bc979f6561bb3.JPG     DSCF0369.JPG.cc6781d7aae27f1ad6b0ea97da36e41e.JPG

DSCF0366.JPG.2ff844eadf7bb17f914ed7fa36dfa078.JPG    DSCF0370.JPG.72f6d96f04b9101117ed20c06701fa2a.JPG

My new project returns us back to the railway in earnest. I plan to butcher a King Class into the streamlined version of King Henry VII. Name plates ordered from Narrow Planet but I forgot to place an order for the number plates! :jester: This will have to wait now as they have quite a lead time. My stealth project is lurking for the sharp eyed.

I decided to leave the cattle wagons for periods when filler and suck like are drying as well as an other open wagon to build for a WD coal to go alongside the Mink, transfers also from Narrow Planet. These were an unexpected surprise I discovered when ordering the plates.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Few hours later we have a nice little 1907 Gloucester type 15' WB 6.5 plank open wagon from Cambrian complete with aquarium plant weight for added weight.

The body is still separate from the wheelbase for ease of painting. Lovely casting details inside the wagon. I have another kit and two for the 16' so may put these into service next year .

DSCF0380.JPG.f9c89de49c3fdea67701c1758f1d99f1.JPG   DSCF0379.JPG.e3b68ece1e838926dfad2b360d4803ba.JPG

• Like 6

Nice job on the Whippets, the markings look very good from here. I have often seen them handpainted with rather mixed results. The wagon reminds me that I have quite a few to build. I see the dismembered pannier in the background and that also reminds me that I have one that I plan to detail and bring up to standard. Hopefully you will share your progress with that one!

• Thanks 1

So the plan was for the pannier to be my stealth project with potential for selling rather than building for myself but I am enjoying it more than I anticipated so we'll see. Besides the nickname of stealth is more inline with streamlining anyway. Switch it around. 

Progress is steady; Pannier now 'naked' readying for filler.  Handrails removed, various detail fixtures removed, transfers removed and rear buffer cut away. Cab windows cut and filed square rather than round.

All removed items have been salvaged as best as possible, just incase another project calls. Although preformed handrails with knobs will be a benefit (possibly) for the pannier kits I have in stock.

DSCF0381.JPG.6117a5e8bf2c074bf9ffa5b66a2a59fb.JPG                   DSCF0382.JPG.666bdf9253ff6c98bae2aa9d8c293db4.JPG 

DSCF0383.JPG.2324ce6970144a456b64f95e1328f7e5.JPG                                  DSCF0384.JPG.3492b3d39c666a62fdfe252dbeb1eeb6.JPG

I have checked the original chassis and it will not allow me to make the space between the tank and footplate open so this will remain in place rather than mess everything up especially as it is unlikely to be very obvious once complete.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1