A canal-based shunting layout (as yet un-named). By Andrew Cockburn

Inspired by some of my fellow railway modellers (including one or two on RMweb), I’ve come up with a possible idea/plan for a canal-based shunting layout of my own, as yet un-named. It is rather compact, measuring just 3 feet x 1 foot (though provision will be made for an add-on/removable fiddleyard cartridge), and features a rather simple, Inglenook-ish track plan, which incorporates just two turnouts. The main track plan features three sidings, one of these is a “reception siding”, which holds incoming wagons, before they’re distributed to their various destinations. The actual destinations will be a goods siding serving both a warehouse and loading dock, and another siding serving a hard-standing area/canal. And just to add a bit of additional interest, theres a short loco stabling/re-fuelling siding at the top of the layout. It’s rather a simple set-up overall, and I don’t envisage it being too expensive to construct, therefore I dare say it may start to bear fruition before too long. As you will see from the photo, I've drawn out a full-size plan, roughly to scale, utilizing spare track pieces, also Peco track templates, on an old piece of wallpaper. Any ideas, suggestions etc. more than welcome.

canal layout.jpg

canal layoutu.JPG

• Like 9

Can't go wrong with an Inglenook! There's a good balance between track and no-track, and the canal adds a level below the track.

Could you keep the skew on the canal basin running further back, to give more water and to stop it running parallel with the baseboard edge? Also, consider rounding off the corners on the canal, as (I think) they are frequently on the real thing - I can't remember seeing sharp angles in walls that often.

And, for an extra challenge and feature, why not try making the crane work, or at least posable? I've tried it a couple of times, and it adds "playability" if nothing else!

I'll certainly be keeping my eye on this thread, it should be a good layout.

• Like 2

I've had a bit of a re-think re the track/layout plan, and have decided to alter the shape of the canal section so that it is purely rectagonal, also the track plan to incorporate a kickback siding which will run parallel to the canal, as I feel this will add more interest/shunting & operational potential. Due to one or two other commitments, I don't envisage starting work on this project until maybe the spring time, but I'll post regular progress updates once work gets underway ....

Idea for new OO layout.jpg

Edited by Andrew Cockburn
  • Like 1

Trailing sidings do so much to improve the operational interest of an inglenook, my first layout in HO scale was very similar to what you've got here, and it was certainly more entertaining to run because of the thought required to shunt the trailing siding. :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Excuse my ignorance on such matters but whenever I see track plans with a kickback like this I always wonder about operation and how you get the loco to the left of the wagons to shunt the kickback without provision for runaround?

Or do you 'pull' them into the siding?

Or perhaps have two locos?

I agree that it looks more interesting...I'm just always perplexed about how to best operate them.

Regards,

James

In reply to jamest’s query re how I’d shunt the kickback siding, I have a simple but what I also consider to be a quite ingenious method. First of all, what I term a “yard loco” positions itself at the end of the goods siding, this is then isolated (picture 1). Next, another loco shunts several wagons (three would probably be the maximum, what in view of space constraints) into the siding, so that they couple onto the “yard loco”. This second loco then uncouples and departs back to the fiddleyard (picture 2). The “yard loco” is then de-isolated, and shunts the wagons into the kickback siding, uncouples from the wagons, and returns ready for it’s next duty (picture 3).

Hope this helps.

shunting the kickback siding.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's definitely the simplest way of doing it. I used the chain shunting simply due to enforcing a "one loco in steam" rule on my layout to make the operations more restrictive.

When attending shows, it made for a interesting feature for both the viewing public and the operators - running what is essentially an inglenook for a 3 day show gets awfully repetitive REAL fast. :D

@ DanielB. I had a look on your video post, re the chain shunting method, it looks really good/interesting. Something I may just try myself at some point in the future. And you're right, running a shunting/Inglenook layout at a show can get a bit repetitive/tedious (I've only attended two-day shows in the past), but overall, I still tend to find it enjoyable .... :D

I've not done a 2 day show with my Inglenook, just 1 day shows,but I do have a slight advantage!

It is set up with the controls at the front, for the kids (of any age :) ) to operate,

with guidance from me if needed.

The biggest challenge is having enough throat pastilles!

Edited by jcm@gwr

On 17/01/2020 at 18:49, Andrew Cockburn said:

In reply to jamest’s query re how I’d shunt the kickback siding, I have a simple but what I also consider to be a quite ingenious method. First of all, what I term a “yard loco” positions itself at the end of the goods siding, this is then isolated (picture 1). Next, another loco shunts several wagons (three would probably be the maximum, what in view of space constraints) into the siding, so that they couple onto the “yard loco”. This second loco then uncouples and departs back to the fiddleyard (picture 2). The “yard loco” is then de-isolated, and shunts the wagons into the kickback siding, uncouples from the wagons, and returns ready for it’s next duty (picture 3).

Hope this helps.

shunting the kickback siding.jpg

That's one way of making an Inglenook more interesting but the "yard" loco will only shuffle wagons into the kickback siding.

Another approach is to turn it round so that a main line loco brings and takes wagons to a transfer siding from where a shunter then distributes them. to a couple of sidings. 

I first saw this idea on Chris Krupa's beautiful little 009 layout Minbury Abbas

1297120809_Wycrail006.jpg.ca12bf56acc070e4c367e02078b72f0e.jpg

In its original form this was just 26x10ins. though Chris did later add a 13 inch long fiddle yard.

This is the sketch plan I made when I saw it at a show showing the main capacities.

132817396_MinburyAbbassketch001.jpg.ab684a2b63dcc5db71c40658f441db38.jpg 

I've since seen this basic plan used elsewhere and mocked up a version in H0 for a possible stand layout. That was 4ft x 1ft but based on European four wheel wagons, medium radius points and an 0-8-0T "yard shunter".

2095509012_MinburybasedEPmockup4ftx11inch.jpg.da5061596f318a5f2372f22a6bbb4c5a.jpg

With small radius points (saving 3 inches) shorter British wagons in OO (saving about an inch each)  and a slightly shorter shunting loco , I think you could reduce the length significantly, perhaps not to three feet but probably to a metre (3ft 3ins) 

The idea is that the upper track is the main line and the lower siding is, in this case. on the quayside. So, a main line loco arrives (in reality of imagination) with a pick-up goods of up to five wagons.  The shunting puzzle is then to swap some or all of the wagons in the main line goods train with those in the yard, after which the main line loco can continue on its way and the shunter can get one with any further shunting needed in the yard . This will require co-ordinated shunting by both locos. If we say that the yard shunter cannot enter the main line it gets even trickier.

The top right track can either be a dead end transfer siding or a mainline branch which could include a halt where Chris put his station. A simple fiddle stick on one or both ends would enable the mainline train toarrive and depart but we should make it a rule that all shunting must take place on the main board.

Mnbury Abbas certainly seemed to offer Chris a lot more operation and shunting than a basic Inglenook.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

That would make an excellent plan for an O gauge layout too. Something to ponder for the future, perhaps? :D

I'm also looking at it for a small self contained H0m layout for use with a society stand. That would easily fit into three feet and could even bt a triple boxfile layout.  I've very much liked Chris Krupa's Minbury Abbas ever since I first saw it. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pacific231G,

Thanks for sharing that - I have done a inglenook before (Bratton Lane below) but I like the idea of bringing wagons in/out with another loco - it adds to the interest and enables you to stretch reality and run different stock.

Definitely something to look at and think about.

Regards,

James