Big 4 wagon/van numbers transfer sheets

I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for 4mm complete wagon number transfers (pressfix or waterslide) for the big 4 (i.e. full length strings such as this: 505391).

Here is what I know about:

1. I have just (re-) discovered the modelmaster sheets that do this for BR - I find the post-war POW transfer sets (e.g. Modelmaster 4658) particularly useful, but they don't do the big 4 (expect a few ex-GWR sheets that also - very usefully - include the original GWR branding; for some reason, not so for LMS and LNER - anyone know why?)

2. I have an ageing supply of powsides rub on full number sheets for LNER wagons, but (1) I don't have many, (2) they are unreliable, the numbers often 'flaking' before you can apply them...) and (3) I'm not sure you can obtain these any more, can you? (I couldn't find any 4mm ones on the Internet.)

3. I have wagons and vans from all the big 4 to do, so (almost) any number strings of the correct size and length will help. 

Thanks in advance for any steer...

tim.

15 minutes ago, brossard said:

Thanks for the link BoW, I didn't know about them.  They carry a good range of 7mm transfers - will give them a go.

John

They're the discontinued Modelmasters range. Many have been superseded in the MM range by better versions.

Fox do good quality Big Four era transfers.

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/

Jason

2 hours ago, brossard said:

HMRS do good pressfix transfers:  https://hmrs.org.uk/transfers.html?transfer_scale=11883

You should find what you need.  They don't have full length numbers though.

Other transfer outlets seem to focus more on BR.

John

Hi John - thanks, yes, I have the full set of HMRS group and pre-group sheets, which are great for Big and Small Company names  and branding, but all those tiny individual numbers! With 105 unbuilt wagon kits, that's 210 sides, and with 6 digits per number, that's 1,260 individual press fixes. Hmm—that's why those kits have been unbuilt for nearly ten years ;-). But I agree - BoW's link to Old Time Workshop looks very useful indeed...

• Like 1

With 1000s of possible number combos, I should think it pretty unlikely to find complete and correct number strings.  Parkside and Slaters usually include transfers with their kits and these will have a couple of different numbers.  I have some Fox sheets for BR wagons and these have number strings.  I can't speak to their big 4 transfers though.

I feel your pain, putting number strings together from individual digits is a right royal pain, I have to do it a lot.  Even in 7mm, it is fraught (I did my fair share when doing 00).

John

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, brossard said:

Even in 7mm, it is fraught

Arguably even worse: whilst you can see what you are doing, you can also see the result and all its flaws!

I frequently raid old kit transfers and to mix it up, chop them into a couple of bits which is still easier than doing every digit separately. I have seen Parkside 4mm transfers for sale as spares.

Regarding Fox transfers - when I look back at my unused ones I find that unlike the MM ones (all about 9 years old - I became rather inactive following a house move) they have yellowed on the blue backing paper. I can't remember which of my wagons I used them on back then. Has anyone else noticed this?

6 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Arguably even worse: whilst you can see what you are doing, you can also see the result and all its flaws!

I frequently raid old kit transfers and to mix it up, chop them into a couple of bits which is still easier than doing every digit separately. I have seen Parkside 4mm transfers for sale as spares.

Yes, getting them straight and evenly spaced is difficult.  Use a ruler and squint down the transfer.

I've built I don't know how many wagon kits in 7mm.  As a result I have a box full of leftover transfers.

I haven't noticed Fox transfers yellowing.  Probably I haven't had them long enough.

John

Thanks BoW - a nice addition to the thread.

I have three sheets (LMS, LNER and SR - not ex) speeding my way as I type - a very efficient and friendly service too, I found...

Tim.

Edited by t.s.meese
to be explicit about which sheets