Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

But it is not just Hornby, Dapol and Bachmann have made fundamental colour errors. 

I know, it is just they seem to do it more often. Whether it's simply because they have a bigger range I don't know. The other thing worth noting is that the Dapol one I recall is the end of the TPE 68s, which looks like a pearlescent finish which is always going to be a pain in the backside on a model. I do accept that a metallic/pearlescent colour would scale to an extent as the flakes etc would need to be smaller.

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

comments like “it looks the wrong colour”

Another one is with finish. At my work we have just built a prototype vehicle and we had some gloss powder coated parts up against textured GRP of the same colour, and when you take the reflections out of the equation (i.e. look at it square on) they are definitely the same colour, it is just the sheen of the gloss stuff that makes it look slightly different. We didn't have time to source the textured powder coating (allegedly there is a shortage of textured RAL7004) unfortunately but it will be sorted in production.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

Having watched the Yesterday APT episode again today one question remains. How did they sort the light bleed? Black plastic or paint the inside black. Anyone who has had an intermediate coach opened up care to confirm?

They turned the room lights up :jester:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I was joking but did you notice when they first saw the light bleed it was in a completely blacked out room, when they “sorted it” and inspected it again it was in a reduced light spray booth area……just saying :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I know, it is just they seem to do it more often. Whether it's simply because they have a bigger range I don't know. The other thing worth noting is that the Dapol one I recall is the end of the TPE 68s, which looks like a pearlescent finish which is always going to be a pain in the backside on a model. I do accept that a metallic/pearlescent colour would scale to an extent as the flakes etc would need to be smaller.

Another one is with finish. At my work we have just built a prototype vehicle and we had some gloss powder coated parts up against textured GRP of the same colour, and when you take the reflections out of the equation (i.e. look at it square on) they are definitely the same colour, it is just the sheen of the gloss stuff that makes it look slightly different. We didn't have time to source the textured powder coating (allegedly there is a shortage of textured RAL7004) unfortunately but it will be sorted in production.

Dapol have had a mare with liveries at times. Banger blue that isn’t, blue grey without the gentle curved corners, warning panel yellow that is wrong for the era of model. etc. 

That said, I have still bought them. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

They turned the room lights up :jester:

I've got 4 coaches and the light bleed is through the joint between the upper and lower shells of the mould. It isn't shining through the plastic, its shining through a very fine gap. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Norski said:

I've got 4 coaches and the light bleed is through the joint between the upper and lower shells of the mould. It isn't shining through the plastic, its shining through a very fine gap. 

Indeed, that is the issue that was first noticed on this thread.

on the subject of the paint for the lower sections did i hear right from Simon that the final shade would be their new excutive grey colour?     so now Im wondering if the forthcoming 87 009 in executive livery will see this new colour......on the show i do think it looks better than previous executive/swallow coaches and going which seemed a bit yellowy to my eye....early photos of the new 87 model look to be photoshopped in the existing shade of beige (or grey whatever you want to call it-think its been called "stone" before too)  so it would be good if the new shade makes it way to the 87.

So the good news is the new NDM plays happily with the old one.  No derailing, nothing.  The bad news is that it can't move it without heavily spinning its wheels.  The noise is the motor.  With a seven car set on order, i hope this is just resistance in the old model

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Like 2

I’ve just watch the lastest Hornby Signal Box video with the APT and noticed the non articulated trailer has a bespoke interior to suit its use as the development coach. Nice attention to detail.

Edited by Wolf27
Spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

I’ve just watch the lastest Hornby Signal Box video with the APT and noticed the non articulated trailer has a bespoke interior to suit its use as the development coach. Nice attention to detail.

Does it also include a bespoke capacitor?

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Does it also include a bespoke capacitor?

I noticed the shots were generally quite carefully positioned to avoid this. Though the pantograph was at a horrible angle in a few.

• Agree 2

On 07/11/2021 at 09:54, ThaneofFife said:

on the subject of the paint for the lower sections did i hear right from Simon that the final shade would be their new excutive grey colour?     so now Im wondering if the forthcoming 87 009 in executive livery will see this new colour......on the show i do think it looks better than previous executive/swallow coaches and going which seemed a bit yellowy to my eye....early photos of the new 87 model look to be photoshopped in the existing shade of beige (or grey whatever you want to call it-think its been called "stone" before too)  so it would be good if the new shade makes it way to the 87.

i noted he said that too, which got my mind racing about what else they might start splashing it on, but I thought the whole point of the paint mixing exercise on the APT, was it was supposed to be a slightly lighter shade of what they already had, kind of an early 80s executive if you will, not the later 80s executive swallow livery which was darker. But then I was wondering how does the guy who mixes it by hand & sight productionise that paint mix anyway even if he finds the right colour ? the magic of television I guess.

and they keep talking in the show about how they focus on making all the tiny details right and wouldnt let a model into the shops with an obvious flaw...and yet here we are staring at a rather obvious visible capacitor on not just the pre-samples, but actual retail versions.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, stonojnr said:

i noted he said that too, which got my mind racing about what else they might start splashing it on, but I thought the whole point of the paint mixing exercise on the APT, was it was supposed to be a slightly lighter shade of what they already had, kind of an early 80s executive if you will, not the later 80s executive swallow livery which was darker. But then I was wondering how does the guy who mixes it by hand & sight productionise that paint mix anyway even if he finds the right colour ? the magic of television I guess.

and they keep talking in the show about how they focus on making all the tiny details right and wouldnt let a model into the shops with an obvious flaw...and yet here we are staring at a rather obvious visible capacitor on not just the pre-samples, but actual retail versions.

Paint replication was a major thing I couldn't understand either unless they just send that model back to the factory as a control.

The capacitor is quite ironic when they have gone to some effort with the interior and the irony of the lighting actually makes it worse by highlighting it.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2021 at 11:05, boxbrownie said:

The biggest problem is the colour of the lighting it’s viewed under, very few models are viewed in open daylight and almost no full size trains are viewed under room lighting.

My whole career was often plagued by comments like “it looks the wrong colour” when showing clients pictures, then when showing them at a window the same image they suddenly say “oh that’s more like it”…..despite asking beforehand where it will be displayed/viewed the most they still pick holes!   Just like being in here really :D

Hi

Plus the underlying substrate is different. At work we have different tolerances for brown and white as the colour looks completely different depending on which it’s printed on.

Cheers

Paul

I thought someone had mentioned this possibility before, but perhaps not.

It's quite possible that the original design used a much smaller capacitor for the lighting, but when it came to production time, that size just wasn't available and they either had to use the 'next best' or delay the entire production run? 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I thought someone had mentioned this possibility before, but perhaps not.

It's quite possible that the original design used a much smaller capacitor for the lighting, but when it came to production time, that size just wasn't available and they either had to use the 'next best' or delay the entire production run? 

Think that was me Kit, I suggested that a surface mounted component may have been specified originally but due to component shortages etc an electrolytic had to be used. Mere speculation of course.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, craigy said:

Hmm, that " bloke in a paint stained overall " was me, and working on it for 13 years does give me a bit of an idea on the colours and experience..hence the visit of James to clarify the colours.

“Bloke in a paint stained overall” is a great username you know.Right up there with “Mr Tilt”.

Many thanks for all your hard work.Its appreciated here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, craigy said:

Hmm, that " bloke in a paint stained overall " was me, and working on it for 13 years does give me a bit of an idea on the colours and experience..hence the visit of James to clarify the colours.

It’s OK , I was colour printing for over 40 years but I still got people complaining they were sure Grandads face was never that red :lol:

• Funny 3

5 hours ago, sga962 said:

That body side gap is a bit of an eyesore

I see what you mean. In the 1st sec of the vid you get a good side on of the nose. Something dosent look wright on the joint line. Looks like its bulging, It could be the light causing that. What is clear the pantograph looks poor. Its not even stright. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My two NDMs have now arrived safely, the second one will give up its motor etc. for transplant into the non powered one in the 7 car set.

I may then part with the non powered NDM 49004 that results if there is anyone that wants a non powered one?

Andi

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, oleander said:

I see what you mean. In the 1st sec of the vid you get a good side on of the nose. Something dosent look wright on the joint line. Looks like its bulging, It could be the light causing that. What is clear the pantograph looks poor. Its not even stright. 

Dosent, wright, stright. Spellchecker broken?

• Like 2