Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

I certainly get the bit about asking Mr paint stained at Crewe,

the bit I found surprising was Mr paint stained at Margate ( a distant relative )mixing the beige by eye like some crazy mixologist for inter city , still it seemed to work out fine .

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I certainly get the bit about asking Mr paint stained at Crewe,

the bit I found surprising was Mr paint stained at Margate ( a distant relative )mixing the beige by eye like some crazy mixologist for inter city , still it seemed to work out fine .

This was my point. I think it's great idea getting the people who are involved in effectively setting the benchmark involved as I think that adds a fair bit of credibility to it when someone says this shade isn't right. It was just how on earth does the Hornby paint guru go about replicating it. I'd assume there is maybe some more science to it and it was dumbed down/shortened for TV.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:51, craigy said:

Hmm, that " bloke in a paint stained overall " was me, and working on it for 13 years does give me a bit of an idea on the colours and experience..hence the visit of James to clarify the colours.

My comment relating to this was more that they had a guy mixing it in Margate by skeg of the eye rather than getting your input on the comparison.

1 hour ago, E100 said:

This was my point. I think it's great idea getting the people who are involved in effectively setting the benchmark involved as I think that adds a fair bit of credibility to it when someone says this shade isn't right. It was just how on earth does the Hornby paint guru go about replicating it. I'd assume there is maybe some more science to it and it was dumbed down/shortened for TV.

Yes exactly!

On 10/11/2021 at 22:07, Dagworth said:

My two NDMs have now arrived safely, the second one will give up its motor etc. for transplant into the non powered one in the 7 car set.

I may then part with the non powered NDM 49004 that results if there is anyone that wants a non powered one?

Andi

I've just taken delivery of a powered one that I was going to remove motor, if anyone wants a powered one I'll take up your offer.

Join lines are unavoidable but I was thinking for a while now apologies if this has already been mentioned on here I haven't seen it if it has. Anyway about the join lines on the DTS' what if they had or they were personally applied the final InterCity APT-P logo with the APT in red with the red stripe perhaps that could make the join lines less noticeable.

On 13/11/2021 at 18:43, RyanN91 said:

Join lines are unavoidable but I was thinking for a while now apologies if this has already been mentioned on here I haven't seen it if it has. Anyway about the join lines on the DTS' what if they had or they were personally applied the final InterCity APT-P logo with the APT in red with the red stripe perhaps that could make the join lines less noticeable.

Surely join lines are only unavoidable and need to be masked if the chassis is bowl shaped (cheaper and easier to engineer) if it is flat and the sides cover the “eye” line then the join line is underneath, staring at the track! I appreciate this prabably means a metal chassis so extra cost. 

On 24/10/2021 at 18:51, InterCity80s said:

The "coming soon" page currently has the 5 car set due in December 2021 and the 7 car set in January 2022: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

The Hornby website is showing both 5 and 7 car sets as being due in December 2021 now: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

The Hornby website is showing both 5 and 7 car sets as being due in December 2021 now: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

Thanks for this hopefully next month they will arrive.  Off topic but related to it. Just a little longer to wait for the BR Class 91s January 2022! I just hope the info on the back of the box packaging is updated to mention the MRK 4 coaches and MK4 DVTs for INTERCITY 225 trains. as the description is still from the 2020 information where it just mentions MK3 and MK2 coach rolling stock.

I also wonder if we'll have the BR INTERCITY swallow logo on the top of the box like the BR Class 370 NDM has the InterCity APT logo instead of the ariel rooftop image of it but either was both designs are good whichever eventually appears on the final product.

I'd take it all releases dates with a small drop of 1984 British Rail coffee! The releases dates are all over the place at the moment the Summer 2022 section has some products in the banners as Winter 2021/2022. And some aren't even in the coming soon sections but when I typed in the Rocket Royal Mail train pack (which isn't listed in any of the sections it's banner says Winter 2021/2022 so it's anybodies guess? 

Hopefully they'll arrive before Christmas 2021. But we'll just have to wait with bated breath. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Hopefully they'll arrive before Christmas 2021. But we'll just have to wait with bated breath. 

I've given up on bated breath and just concede that everything arrives when it arrives these days and try to forget about them*

* The fact I am reading this thread proves I am not very good at the latter part.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, WestRail642fan said:

Am i the only one counting down the days to when that email arrives telling you your pre-order is on its way

No but along with that is an acceptance that the world is pretty screwed up at the moment and it will get here when it gets here! Plenty of other stuff to do before it does but I have tangible proof it is coming as I have the intermediate cars so it’s definitely not vapourware. 
Patience my friends it’s on its way.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

For those people still running the original APT model, I was somewhat surprised to see it feature in a clip I was sent from Top of The Pops!!! (Warning to any snowflakes, this was perfectly acceptable then)

Now, what TV programmes do you think the new model could appear in?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Hell yes !

sod the APT ...

the only obscene bit was that electric  dogs tail ..!

I also spied the Hornby G scale rocket - a coach for which resides in my loft - it's so coated in nicotine ( from being on display in my parents lounge ) I don't know what to do with it