Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Is it me or do the interior lights vary in colour temperature ?

Between coaches of the same class? Bear in mind the interior red or blue will have a big effect. Would make less sense for Hornby to vary LED specs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/12/2021 at 20:38, stovepipe said:

Interesting video. I really hope we don't have another packing fail in progress.... though perhaps the fact that OORail's 5-car set was airfreighted from Hong Kong to the USA means it will not be typical of the ones arriving here by sea?

Maybe the packing issue with this early set is one of the reasons the date for the rest slipped?

• Informative/Useful 1

i bet some people will have one cab almost facing the other if the roundy roundy isnt long enough.........thats some lemgth of train........in 00 gauge im not sure the look scales down to well for 14 cars.   even 7 will look great in most settings 10 at most needed to fool the eye.......  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

i bet some people will have one cab almost facing the other if the roundy roundy isnt long enough.........thats some lemgth of train........in 00 gauge im not sure the look scales down to well for 14 cars.   even 7 will look great in most settings 10 at most needed to fool the eye.......  

Excellent point & a good example where a compromise is better than "realism".

I can run 10 x coach trains on my layout but 8 x coaches look a lot better.

Our model railways can be examples of compromise from the sizes of trees, length of stations & in the case of OO/1:76 the actual track gauge itself.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

i’m able to run 7 comfortably, 9 at a push, if I was to platform it, and pass stuff.

As my pendo works at 9, an APT looks a little short at 7, so i’m aiming for 9.

I wonder How Hornby follows up on these two, i’m speculating they may make an “As preserved at Crewe” set.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i’m able to run 7 comfortably, 9 at a push, if I was to platform it, and pass stuff.

As my pendo works at 9, an APT looks a little short at 7, so i’m aiming for 9.

I wonder How Hornby follows up on these two, i’m speculating they may make an “As preserved at Crewe” set.

Yes the perserved at Crewe Heritage Center Set could sell well. Possibly if demand is there APT-P Sets 370 005 and 370 006 in Final APT-P logo with the red stripe livery with the 4 coach packs and the additional NDM.

Edited by RyanN91
Typos fixed

4 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

with or without the “spare” power car that used to be at Shildon?

If by spare power car do you mean this one 

My knowledge of that NDM is almost zero (saw it at the ERM & later at Crewe)  Was it at Shildon before it was at the Electric Rail Museum?

ndm.png.104404e244c38a54b3aaa8563e350425.png

Taken on the last day of the Electric Rail Museum. Its now at Crewe Looking resplendent in it fresh livery

John 

• Informative/Useful 2

49006 was 'preserved' at Kineton before it went to the Locomotion site, and it was stored indoors there for a short while. Paul Leadley and I explored its interior while it was there, and while the outside was in a terrible state the interior was pretty good.  The Mk IV tilt pack was in the best condition of any P-Train tilt pack I've seen! :good:

The current Crewe set could  be displayed as the Development Train, and for a less than 14 car set you could have a Dec 7th 1981 set, a 2 +10, with a Driving Trailer and a Van Trailer at the front, and a complete 6 car set at the rear. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

I think BR just wanted to wipe away any trace of the APT, hence why they were scrapped so quickly

The thankful outcome of the pererved APT-P cars, is that the TBFs that are perserved are slightly longer than the rest of the vehicles that were scrapped and the perseved Trailer Restaurant/Buffet Second the size of the TRBS is exactly the same as the scrapped TS, TU and TF non surviving coaches so replicas of these three are easier to make copies of the toolings of   rather than relaying on archived BR  paperwork and documents, so only  modifications to the seating and the other window side.

The Ex APT-P 48204 coach which is also easy to make a model of.  Also the NDMs that are persrved along with the two DTS' are also different in length. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 22/12/2021 at 14:52, Dagworth said:

More like 4 and a bit for 14 cars 

Web reference says a real half-train (7 cars) was 482ft (and that sanity checks as completely believable). With this measurement, a complete 14 car set would thus be 964ft long. At 4mm/ft that's 3.856m. The model will be a bit longer due to overscale gaps between cars, but I don't recall the gaps between the centre trailers being more than 1cm, which would be what is required to get it to break 4m.

If it genuinely is "4 and a bit", then either some of the cars are significantly over-long, or there's a *lot* of unexpected daylight between the vehicles in this model...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 24/12/2021 at 16:22, rob D2 said:

when did the original Hornby one come out ? i was given one as a present as well as HST ( 1977 age 5) 

On 24/12/2021 at 16:24, Mr_Tilt said:

Spring time 1981, WELL before that first run! 

12 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Christmas 1981 when I got mine then :)

40 years ago......... 

It came out in 1980 as a Train Set in original livery and as a  Train Pack in 1981 with the revised livery

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Web reference says a real half-train (7 cars) was 482ft (and that sanity checks as completely believable). With this measurement, a complete 14 car set would thus be 964ft long. At 4mm/ft that's 3.856m. The model will be a bit longer due to overscale gaps between cars, but I don't recall the gaps between the centre trailers being more than 1cm, which would be what is required to get it to break 4m.

If it genuinely is "4 and a bit", then either some of the cars are significantly over-long, or there's a *lot* of unexpected daylight between the vehicles in this model...

You are probably correct, I was more thinking when I made that comment that it was certainly a lot longer than the "around 3 metres" that I responded to. So actually "Around 4 metres" would be better?

My rough rule of thumb is that a 4mm coach of any sort is around a foot long so a fourteen car APT should be close to 14 ft long which would be 4 and a bit metres, but my rule of thumb is a bit generous I guess?

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Agree 1