Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wolf27 said:

According to Hornby on their Facebook page, the APT packs are due imminently. 

I wish they would make their mind up based on the earlier post that they were not due until March I spent all my money on wine, women and song over the weekend!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

must of missed the email telling me my pre-order was enroute to the warehouse

Dunno, I’m just going by what they replied to me when I asked the question on their 2022 range post.

• Like 3

Their social media team also replied that the LNER Azuma was due "next month" to a query in October. I don't think that they really have a clue which is annoying really considering that most people probably need to know when £500 is going to drop out of their bank account, saved or otherwise.

To be fair with all the delays in China getting components etc and the shipping delays getting them here i imagine getting a firm date for anything right now is near impossible.

Its just annoying they don't say when a model is delayed otherwise its down to the customer to look on their website and find out themselves. The Std 2 or the big Ruston for example has been pushed back to the end of this year at least. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2021 at 14:36, adb968008 said:

Dont be too hasty…

you could find the coaches come out first, followed by a another price rise just before the main sets are released in January….

Hornby honour prices at the time of order, but retailers are apparently, not allowed to and are passing on the increases.

cynical me, never…

here we go…

Still in stock at Hornby, but as I suspected…

it looks like prices have adjusted…

APT 5 car R3873

Jan 2020 £394.99

Jun 2021 £434.49

Jan 2022 £477.99

APT 7 car R3874

Jan 2021 £484.99

Jun 2021 £533.49

Jan 2022 £586.99

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another way of looking at it, is getting 5 cars for the price of 7.

it was predictable (indeed I did call it in September).

cynically side of me says it’s an old sales trick get people locked in, raise the price and they have no choice but to go with it, but that’s just my opinion.

it is what it is.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

cynically side of me says it’s an old sales trick get people locked in, raise the price and they have no choice but to go with it, but that’s just my opinion.

The thing is, it's the dealers it will screw over if people cancel. They will have ordered based on pre order numbers (assuming they got what they wanted in the allocation lottery) and then they'll be stuck with the goods.

• Like 1

• Moderators

So what do you all want?

The devil's advocate gives you these choices...

• The factory loses money due to their increased costs since the project was started with staffing issues, power interruptions etc?
  • The 'manufacturer' loses money due to their increased costs since the project started due to increased production costs, shipping costs, capital costs and distribution delayed?
  • The customer 'loses' money since the announcement due to these increased costs through originally unforseen circumstances?

There are no winners, the customer can do without if he wants and redirect the money towards paying his increased food and energy bills this year. Those higher up the supply chain don't have easy get out choices like that.

Expect increases all around over the next 12 months+, I am hearing of significant cost revisions from the east against contracts already in place and even tooling being moved from one factory to another to try and mitigate against this.

Or you could just wait until they're produced next time when they're even higher in price.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

When I first ordered this it was 329 quid. I get the feeling that Hornby may not honor that price. I had already ordered it and they cancelled it, after I had already paid in full through the Hornby U.S website. So I ordered again, I wonder if they will cancel it again. The one for sale in Hong Kong now seems like a bargain.

Edited by wairoa

9 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

£100 in a year.   Might think about pulling the plug on this.  It's not the bells and whistles model we thought it might be. (remember the speculation about lifting nose ends?)

I don't think there was ever any suggestion that the Hornby model would have lifting noses. Indeed coach lighting that was not at first mentioned (from my memory), has appeared. 

Only the defunct DJM APT ever talked and had some CADs about lifting noses. This was to be more expensive than the Hornby model.

The Rapido APT-E new run is not exactly cheaper either...

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I would think the Rapido APT E is better value all around

better internal details

high detailing on the bodywork

through wiring between twin power cars

twin sound

lighting throughout 

average £110 per coach

however the extra trailers are expensive at £120 each

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original version was not cheap. Christmas and birthday money had to be combined to get my hands on a first release set 40 odd years ago.

me? Not getting a new one, but am still pondering a dev coach. Would have to respray  the beige for incorrect blue/grey to match my earlier examples. Or get the 3d printed version…..

Edited by RedgateModels
Rubbish apple autocorrect
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

So what do you all want?

The devil's advocate gives you these choices...

• The factory loses money due to their increased costs since the project was started with staffing issues, power interruptions etc?
  • The 'manufacturer' loses money due to their increased costs since the project started due to increased production costs, shipping costs, capital costs and distribution delayed?
  • The customer 'loses' money since the announcement due to these increased costs through originally unforseen circumstances?

There are no winners, the customer can do without if he wants and redirect the money towards paying his increased food and energy bills this year. Those higher up the supply chain don't have easy get out choices like that.

Expect increases all around over the next 12 months+, I am hearing of significant cost revisions from the east against contracts already in place and even tooling being moved from one factory to another to try and mitigate against this.

Or you could just wait until they're produced next time when they're even higher in price.

Accurascale

• Funny 4

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ouroborus said:

Accurascale

?

Have we got to do all the hard work and guess what you should expend a bit of effort to say?

• Agree 3

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I do think there is a difference between Accurascale and DJM

How's your Deltic?

My point is that every new entrant that comes along is used as a stick to beat the established players. DJM certainly was, and Little Loco Co, and Hattons (remember the frothing about the 66 being the greatest model ever when it was CADS and then go and look at more recent postings).

I have more faith in Accurascale than any new entrant, BUT their entry into the market hasn't been perfect either. Even Rapido, who already had a track record in Amercia (something that Accurascale have in Ireland, hence my faith) suffered delays and other issues with models. In fact, if you watch Jason's latest video, pretty much all the issues here are covered, but from their point of view. Similar points were made in Andy's interview with David Haarhous too.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s more to do with the price increase than the delays, we are pretty much resigned to delays nowadays especially after the unfortunate last two years.

My AS Deltic and 37 will be the same price as I payed on the pre order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2