Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

14 hours ago, BR(S) said:

Broken down APT being assisted by a Class 47 (1:28):

0.26 "It has been undergoing trials in the Cleveland area"

Cleveland didn't get OLE until about 5 years after the P train was withdrawn.

The media coverage of this project shows how biased the media can be, but you only get to understand this by knowing more details than what makes it into the press.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

0.26 "It has been undergoing trials in the Cleveland area"Cleveland didn't get OLE until about 5 years after the P train was withdrawn.

Those were the unsuccessful trials :jester:

• Funny 5

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

What about the brake testing when pairs of 37's pushed an unpowered APT rake up to 100mph......

3 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The media coverage of this project shows how biased the media can be, but you only get to understand this by knowing more details than what makes it into the press.

I think the media got confused with what was being tested. The dates are correct of the aerodynamic trials on the east coast.

25 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Exactly.

The way it was presented encourages the listener to assume testing in full service, which was impossible.

According to "A Promise Unfulfilled" that I was thumbing through this week, the reason there were three 14 car sets made (plus spares) were: 1 set for passenger service, 1 backup, 1 for testing and refining.

So I don't think they are wrong to say that it is both 'in service' and 'being tested' at the same time. Bit odd, but in the spirit of what was actually happening...

Guy

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2022 at 12:41, lyneux said:

Yes. Assume that the lack of tilt is what Kit is referring to as ‘tilt passive’. Presumably part of the testing/commissioning.

Guy

can we confirm one way or another that the dev coach had tilt or not?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

can we confirm one way or another that the dev coach had tilt or not?

The 7 car sets are due the end of next week so unless the chap in the US demos it we may have to wait another week or so. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

i was thinking more about the real thing, not what Hornby might produce ;)

Yes it did, according to the MLI softback, it was tested static at Derby and dynamically out on the West coast line as depicted by the 7 car set. It’s listed as being used to look into tilting coaches for the 91’s.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

The 7 car sets are due the end of next week so unless the chap in the US demos it we may have to wait another week or so. 

Thanks Paul this ties in with what I was told in that the 7  car packs being due the week of the 17th, will have to build a layout on my week off to run it! Got the Hornby catalogue in front of me with neither the 5 or 7 car packs having the black mask. I think this year it should be on the 5 car set.                                            

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zoomer1979 said:

IMG-20220114-WA0001.jpeg.afadd0444f3450a977b3610f465ad354.jpegSo has anyone got any thoughts on how to sound fit the new model. It's far from straight forward thanks to some strange engineering decisions by Hornby @legomanbiffo @charliepetty @Richard Croft

Ya’ gonna have to open’er up cap’t :D

edit: a V5 micro will go in there easily but you’ll need to site the speaker above within the body somewhere, I’ve not opened mine up, just fitted a non sound decoder.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about it I suppose really on these kind of models you need a motor controller/sound chip (ie bog standard) in the motor car and a smaller non motor control chip but which has sound for horns and light control in each driving car.

Don't think I have seen anything like that so far.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Thinking about it I suppose really on these kind of models you need a motor controller/sound chip (ie bog standard) in the motor car and a smaller non motor control chip but which has sound for horns and light control in each driving car.

Don't think I have seen anything like that so far.

Would be easy with 6 core through wiring.... ....2 for lights, 2 for speakers and 2 for pickups... ....one could dream!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, E100 said:

Would be easy with 6 core through wiring.... ....2 for lights, 2 for speakers and 2 for pickups... ....one could dream!

Would have been easy enough to have done - Roco (who Hornby have dealt with the past) & Brawa produce them. Also, IIRC a smal company by thre name of Kroiss.

Yet another missed opportunity.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

Would have been easy enough to have done - Roco (who Hornby have dealt with the past) & Brawa produce them. Also, IIRC a smal company by thre name of Kroiss.

Yet another missed opportunity.

I'm well aware. Could have scrapped the capacitors at the same time...

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s listed as being used to look into tilting coaches for the 91’s.

48204 retained its underfloor Mk 5 tilt pack and the rest of the standard P-Train tilt system pipework and actuators on the bogies.

The Mk 4 coaches were intended to use the Mk 5 tilt packs in similar underfloor compartments, but their actuators etc. would have been in a 'sandwich' located between the underframe and the bogies. Try as I may, I've never been able to find if any of these 'sandwiches' were ever actually built, let alone tested.

If a couple of them were built it's doubtful if they'd have fitted 48204 as the P-Train body shells and the Mk 4 coach shells were pretty different. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

So having seen a couple of pics of the 5 car on layouts- how are we finding them -running ok (apart from the extra ndm issue), light bleed ok or not- any derailing issues- just to point out not looking for issues hopefully my 7 car will come this next week, hoping for flawless reports!