Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

Same issue is EDIT (maybe) obvious in this photo (cantrail lines up but the stripes don't). That said, I'm not sure the bottom of the windows line up either so vehicles might be at different heights or maybe the track isn't flat?

APT-P at Crewe Heritage Centre

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold

Have any APT sets arrived in model shops yet? I’m guessing the ones we have seen in photos have come direct from Hornby? 

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

1 hour ago, lyneux said:

This gets curiouser and curiouser.

Here's a shot of a couple of vehicles from Crewe in 1983. Similar discrepancy in ride height (or is it paint?). Also, what's that ruddy big damper doing between the cars?

APT

There does look to be a difference in the ride height between the two vehicles. I thinks that’s normal for the P train. A lot of pics show disparity between vehicles. It’s a characteristic of the train.

Shane, I agree about the ride height and/or tilt discrepancies. And agreed, I think that is what is being shown in the pic above. I was more struck in that shot by the huge damper(?) between vehicles that I had never seen before.

Regarding the vehicle at the heritage centre though, I will measure next time I am up there but the stripes look genuinely in a different position.

There is so much additional detail that you can see in these shots. Personally, I'm looking forward to modelling some of this. Just look at all the pipework coming out of the axlebox! I know Hornby have modelled some of this but I think there is much scope for improvement here on what they have done. At least the basic shape is right this time so we have a good base model to start from.

I think the vehicles might be able to be closely coupled with a bit of tweaking to the bogies.

Guy

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, lyneux said:

I'm not suggesting that Hornby fit through wiring, but that if we (as modellers) want realism, then we could fit this wiring ourselves (along with modifying the ball couplings to couple up a bit closer!).

I won't be running mine on curves like the one shown as the gap just looks terrible. In fact, I'm wondering whether in that photo the cars are even coupled together correctly?

Guy

Well it’s one of the official Hornby press shots…….make of that what you will.

• Thanks 1

Both the ride height and the static tilt angles were very variable once the train had come to a halt. The air spring secondary suspension relied on a mechanical levelling valve to ensure each end of a vehicle stayed at the same height, but the valves had a considerable amount of hysteresis and could close anywhere in a range of +- an inch, depending on which direction they were signalling when the air supply was cut off.

The tilt systems on every vehicle should have been zeroed every day before they started running, but that seems to have been honoured in the breach than the observance. As the valves could drift +- 5% without even breathing hard I'm amazed they stayed as level as they did!

That hefty damper was part of the attempts to even out tilt discrepancies between vehicles AFAIK. I've not seen a pic of it before and I'm astonished at its size! :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Today I received my new Hornby APT and I must say I am rather happy with it. I don't know the real APT well enough to know how accurate the model is when compared with the prototype. This is the model with the all yellow face. 

For my tastes the detail and colours are well done. I have put it on the track briefly and it seems smooth and reliable.

Hornby also honoured by pre order price of 329 pounds. So thanks to Hornby for doing that. 

The train pack was sent by DHL and I received it in I believe 6 days from the UK. Fastest shipment I have ever received from the UK or Europe to here in the U.S. On the other hand in 2020 I  had a Trix ICE 2 shipped by DHL  from Germany that took 3 months to arrive. That was slowest package I have received from Europe.

The packaging was nothing to right home about, however I can't complain too much as it all arrived in one piece. Still, it was pretty skimpy compared with overseas shipments from   Hattons, Rails, or TMC.

I don't know if I will be buying much new this year from any of the manufacturers whether they are from the UK, Europe, or here in the U.S as the prices for some of this stuff are really forcing me question how I approach the hobby. Although, in saying that, last year I did pay for the AS Deltic so that is in the pipeline.

Overall I must admit pretty happy with the new Hornby APT.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Markwj said:

I messaged one retailer over the weekend and they were still awaiting their 5 car sets.

The APT five car sets are due into the UK today,19th January 2022. Hopefully be with retailers this week according to Hornby. As they have arrived after the deadline of 15th January they will be sent to UK retailers at the latest increased price. Good to see that a member in Ohio, USA has already received the model direct from Hornby and at the original 2020 price. Not sure how that happened as they haven’t arrived yet at Hornby.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

The APT five car sets are due into the UK today,19th January 2022. Hopefully be with retailers this week according to Hornby. As they have arrived after the deadline of 15th January they will be sent to UK retailers at the latest increased price. Good to see that a member in Ohio, USA has already received the model direct from Hornby and at the original 2020 price. Not sure how that happened as they haven’t arrived yet at Hornby.

Do you mean the 7 car sets as the 5 car sets have been showing in stock at Hornby on their website for over a week now?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

I don't where you are getting your information from but "you are all kinds of chewed up from the floor up."  Putting out bad information is doing nothing more than confusing people.

The 5 car sets, of which I have one, already arrived going by what Hornby e-mailed me. You can also see videos of the 5 car sets online and I don't mean the video from oorail.

It is the 7 car sets that were coming later. 

On 17/01/2022 at 16:42, rob D2 said:

Really ?

the major difference between the German one and this , is that is a fixed multi million pound tourist attraction they have over there.

PW’s setup is a large roundy roundy that can be moved.

You are comparing the village fete with Disneyland 

Please read what I actually say & not react to what you interpret I say.

Now where exactly did I compare MW with PW's WCML ?

When commenting about PW/WCML running with pantos down I simply acknowledged that MW run with pantos down as well - just the pantos up/down & nothing else.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, wairoa said:

Today I received my new Hornby APT and I must say I am rather happy with it. I don't know the real APT well enough to know how accurate the model is when compared with the prototype. This is the model with the all yellow face. 

For my tastes the detail and colours are well done. I have put it on the track briefly and it seems smooth and reliable.

Hornby also honoured by pre order price of 329 pounds. So thanks to Hornby for doing that. 

The train pack was sent by DHL and I received it in I believe 6 days from the UK. Fastest shipment I have ever received from the UK or Europe to here in the U.S. On the other hand in 2020 I  had a Trix ICE 2 shipped by DHL  from Germany that took 3 months to arrive. That was slowest package I have received from Europe.

The packaging was nothing to right home about, however I can't complain too much as it all arrived in one piece. Still, it was pretty skimpy compared with overseas shipments from   Hattons, Rails, or TMC.

I don't know if I will be buying much new this year from any of the manufacturers whether they are from the UK, Europe, or here in the U.S as the prices for some of this stuff are really forcing me question how I approach the hobby. Although, in saying that, last year I did pay for the AS Deltic so that is in the pipeline.

Overall I must admit pretty happy with the new Hornby APT.

You forget to order an AS Class 37? Go sit in the corner for thirty minutes…..

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

You forget to order an AS Class 37? Go sit in the corner for thirty minutes…..

I have it in the basket on the AS website at the moment. Much conflict over whether to hit the pre-order button or not as I also like the AS Class 92. The only Class 37 I have at the moment is an old Lima that I bought off ebay for about $35 2 years ago while I do have the Hornby Class 92. However, as we all know that won't even compare with the AS Class 92. 

To those of you who say "get them both" I say have you met my wife? :)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, wairoa said:

I have it in the basket on the AS website at the moment. Much conflict over whether to hit the pre-order button or not as I also like the AS Class 92. The only Class 37 I have at the moment is an old Lima that I bought off ebay for about $35 2 years ago while I do have the Hornby Class 92. However, as we all know that won't even compare with the AS Class 92. 

To those of you who say "get them both" I say have you met my wife? :)

Go on, you know it makes sense………and I have a wife of my own thanks, getting new models in is akin to escaping from Colditz.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, wairoa said:

I don't where you are getting your information from but "you are all kinds of chewed up from the floor up."  Putting out bad information is doing nothing more than confusing people.

The 5 car sets, of which I have one, already arrived going by what Hornby e-mailed me. You can also see videos of the 5 car sets online and I don't mean the video from oorail.

It is the 7 car sets that were coming later. 

Absolutely, couldn't agree more.

You obviously haven't picked up that I am a Hornby Retailer. The "bad information" is coming from Hornby. I was using you as an example not realising that you would state I was "all kinds of chewed up".

Merely pointing out that Hornby had sent your set to the USA but none to it's retailers inthe UK.

If you want some more "bad information". The latest from Hornby is that the 5 and 7 car sets,as of today, 01/17/2022 (to save you getting confused I have used the US date system" are"due imminently".

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Markwj said:

Do you mean the 7 car sets as the 5 car sets have been showing in stock at Hornby on their website for over a week now?

Hi Mark,

Yes aware that the 5 car have been on the Hornby website for over a week and now the 7 car is on there. However Hornby say to the trade that retailers stock hasn't arrived yet. Latest update is the the 5 and 7 car are due "imminently".

12 hours ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Hornby said they would be in UK on 19th?  How was it in stock on the Hornby website on the 10th Jan, if they are not in UK until 19th?   Are Hornby making this up so they have an excuse to increase the price again or are they messing with retailers?

Edited by NewSiding
  • Like 1