Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

54 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Take a look at the pantographs on the Accurascale Class 92 or the Bachmann 90 - a good quality and precise pantograph can be done in metal but my guess is it would add £10 - 20 to the motor car.

Mind you after upwards of £400 you are not going to quibble over £10-20 provided you smile every time you look at your model?

yes would definitely be happy to spend extra £20 for a metal pantograph.  The NDM power car is quite a bit cheaper at £133 than other Hornby locos ( ok, it doesn't have windows, buffers or lights).  So I think Hornby should have put a better pantograph on as there was scope to increase the price a little I think.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, E100 said:

Overall I'm very pleased with the set. The paint is generally perfect for me. The data panel on the power car is v/. impressive. Looks the part. Most of the capacitors have been placed somewhat sensibly so won't require moving just maybe camouflaging a bit on the coaches I've got (no intermediate pure seating trailers). It's great they are allowing you to build full sets with all the different coaches. The APT-U coach is probably the best detailed one but the capacitor really frustrates me on that one and I think that will be the one I do look to change. That being said the price does mean this had to be the flagship Hornby product and I don't think it is.

Improvements for me

• I will be taking this on and off the track a bit and therefore the propitiatory couplings are not ideal. I wish they had at least put NEM pockets on and through wiring would have obviously have been preferable.
  • The etched grills whilst nice are not fitted as well as I'd like with a varying gap around some.
  • Cab lighting and 1 DCC chip. It's 2022 guys come on.
  • The pantograph isn't great all round really. 
  • Pickup improvement.

In short I've banged on about it previously but now having it has confirmed that the through wiring of this would have been a substantial improvement. It may be that longer term I look to do this.

Mine arrived today! I think these are fair points. The couplings are really annoying. Can’t wait for the Hunt magnetic ones to arrive! But overall I’m very pleased. And especially pleased I got a extra powered MDM. Really needs it over 9 cars! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Mine arrived today! I think these are fair points. The couplings are really annoying. Can’t wait for the Hunt magnetic ones to arrive! But overall I’m very pleased. And especially pleased I got a extra powered MDM. Really needs it over 9 cars! 

atleast you got to run yours, my one, brand new mind you, arrived today with a burned out motor already

Edited by WestRail642fan

• RMweb Gold

So Hornby have wired up the driving trailer coach lights but not through the decoder so I’ve had to take them apart to switch off the daft fusion lighting! There’s a gurt big circuit board for the front lights but they haven’t bothered to wire the interior lights to F1 or 2! 
I’ve disabled the lighting as it’s far too bright for daylight and I don’t run in the dark as it means there’s a power cut! ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So Hornby have wired up the driving trailer coach lights but not through the decoder so I’ve had to take them apart to switch off the daft fusion lighting! There’s a gurt big circuit board for the front lights but they haven’t bothered to wire the interior lights to F1 or 2! 
I’ve disabled the lighting as it’s far too bright for daylight and I don’t run in the dark as it means there’s a power cut! ;) 

I can sort of see Hornby's thinking on this. If DCC allows you to control the internal lights in just the driving trailers and not the rest of the set, then it will look odd. 

Just a thought on the matter.

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

its arrived.

20220125_125420.jpg.0a959db358c50ea9e100055826e0d55c.jpg

20220125_125426.jpg.b2ce0d5e157ed3282a85bd9251e016ac.jpg

I did how ever had to re attatch the pantograph on the non powered NDM as ot had unclipped from its base

I’m loving the retro packaging from 1981 ! Brings back fond memories..

On 24/01/2022 at 17:29, Ducking Giraffe said:

Silly me, expected to pay a fixed pre-order price?

So I placed a pre-order with Hattons in early 2020 for a 7 car set and for some reason they cancelled it. Never knew why, they didn't say.

So placed and paid for an order with Jadam November 2020 for 7 car set @ £439.49 Now get an invocie for an extra 63.50 to put it up to £499.

Was I daft in expecting the pre-order price to remain the same, has anyone got a 7 car set set for less than £499? For a  minute I thought about cancelling and ordering an NDM  though Hornby, getting a  % discount and applying that to a 7 car set from them, but it won't work out less I think.

=sigh=-

That Brighton Belle and those two 1980s APTs have got to go... (one yellow one black)

PS not having a go at anyone , honest.

I potentially have one for £480.00, having had an e mail from my supplier confirming my order is still valid at the price and my position in the queue of pre orders.

It's all down to how many they get and if they have enough to get my pre order position filled.

Have to say i was expecting to be notified of a price increase prior to dispatch.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Nodrog1826 said:

I can sort of see Hornby's thinking on this. If DCC allows you to control the internal lights in just the driving trailers and not the rest of the set, then it will look odd. 

Just a thought on the matter.

I don’t think there was thinking ;) it reminds me of student projects where your tutor said “but what about . . “ ;) That was rather reinforced by the tv programme where they put so much emphasis on young designers who inevitably focus on the physical detail and they miss some of the other technical detail. 
It suggests to me they needed an experienced designer to go over it, mind you a better design brief would have addressed it too. Just looks like they said just use the standard light strip and there was no other thought put into it. 

2 hours ago, E100 said:

Arguably closer to even the APT-Q with the NDM and DAV4 rolled into one as a class 91.

Using the 91 since my NDM is broken fresh from box, gotta send that back to Hornby for repairs, but my plan in the future is to motorize the second dummy NDM and mod the couplings to work with the new MK4 DVT Hornby are making

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Collected mine from Derails earlier.  Waiting for my wife to go out before unboxing

I'm going to collect mine from Derails tomorrow. Only need to sort out 3 more baseboards, so it might be a while before I can run it.

Both my sets have now arrived the 8 individual coach packs and second NDM is put away at the moment. They both look stunning. I'm really pleased! especially the City of Derby NDM. I'm probably being too picky Although the top right hand corner box of the 7 car set it arrived with a tiny split in the top right corner of the box but no where else. Will that affect its value at all?  I've not had this with new train packs before. 

20220126_191726.jpg

20220126_191736.jpg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

. Will that affect its value at all?  I've not had this with new train packs before. 

20220126_191726.jpg

20220126_191736.jpg

Yes it’s worth about £4.59 now :angel:

So enjoy playing with it instead ;) 

Anyone who’s that bothered by a tiny split when it’s secondhand will be equally fussy about the train so they can be fun to deal with. I had to photograph all corners of a box for some Corgi I sold but fair do to the bloke he paid top price in a bidding war and shipping and left excellent feedback as I’d put about nine layers of bubble wrap around it! 
If you bought it as an investment don’t run it either but it’s not really worth worrying about if you bought it for the model to run. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6