Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

If demand is strong then they will undoubtably do another run. It's simple business really. It could well be a few years to allow for demand to increase more as like with the Rapido APT-E, especially if the model is well received but many on the fence were unable to get one after reviews had come in.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

And people moan that they don’t have time to save up for Bachmann now, well it’s been 20 months since Hornby announcing it so there’s been time for those with much disposable income. 
A second run as said above depends if this sells out, as Hornby were still advertising this after dropping the tier system bomb into the pre orders of many of us I guess they haven’t yet!

So it will depend how that remaining stock goes. Personally with the cost of a full set I was glad of the delay to save rather than battering the credit card. 

10 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

Thats if it ever arrives, wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back to spring 2022

Given up on August then? ;) 

It’s not far off as a production model has featured on Pete W’s layout. 

• Agree 1

On 22/08/2021 at 09:03, E100 said:

If demand is strong then they will undoubtably do another run. It's simple business really. It could well be a few years to allow for demand to increase more as like with the Rapido APT-E, especially if the model is well received but many on the fence were unable to get one after reviews had come in.

I think that will probably happen. I expect quite a few people would ideally want more than one but not want to pay for two all at once, or not want the hassle of renumbering one.

I'd maybe have one of the next run if there is one, only reason I haven't this time is the amount of era/region relevant stuff I have coming to not want to bother with something irrelevant on both counts! Likewise with the Rapido APT-E

On 22/08/2021 at 09:43, PaulRhB said:

And people moan that they don’t have time to save up for Bachmann now, well it’s been 20 months since Hornby announcing it so there’s been time for those with much disposable income. 
A second run as said above depends if this sells out, as Hornby were still advertising this after dropping the tier system bomb into the pre orders of many of us I guess they haven’t yet!

So it will depend how that remaining stock goes. Personally with the cost of a full set I was glad of the delay to save rather than battering the credit card.

but we didnt know back then it was going to take 20months so as to save for it like that, and I sunk what  disposable income I had on the Class 91 instead, which I know Ill be wanting Mk4s and DVT to go with now theyve been confirmed, dont get me wrong Id really like the APT, annoyingly of course I want the more expensive 7 car set because thats the livery style I prefer.

and its difficult to make that decision to commit that kind of money upfront, alongside all you other purchasing, when you still dont really know what you are buying into yet, it would be easier if there was a trusted review out that said if you are a fan of the APT, this is the model youve been waiting 40 years to get hold of, or instead said well its good and your only option right now, but maybe they could have done better in these areas.

I dont know, I cant believe Hornby would have gone to all the effort of retooling this, just to do a single run, unless it totally bombs in sales, but quite alot of online sellers have stopped taking pre-orders now, so Id have thought presales were pretty good. But I gave up trying to second guess Hornbys logic on what models they produce years ago.

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 09:43, PaulRhB said:

And people moan that they don’t have time to save up for Bachmann now

9 hours ago, stonojnr said:

but we didnt know back then it was going to take 20months so as to save for it like that

9 hours ago, stonojnr said:

and its difficult to make that decision to commit that kind of money upfront, alongside all you other purchasing, when you still dont really know what you are buying into yet

TBH the longer it goes on I think that the new Bachmann way is possibly the best way of doing it. At least then when ordering with 3 months notice you're fully aware of what it will cost as opposed to them jacking the price up before it arrives (as per some of the stuff from Bachmann not in their quarterly releases and everything Hornby). In future I won't be pre ordering anything but what I deem crucial (i.e. something I definitely don't want to miss out on) if I don't have any idea when it will come or what it will cost. I know the lead times and price increases aren't entirely the manufacturer's fault (although some manufacturers seem less prone to the price increases than others, or will honour the price they sold something for) but this if anything makes the point more valid, that when manufacturers announce stuff to arrive date X at price Y it appears they actually have no idea if either will happen unless it is made/on a boat and therefore what is the point in giving the information out just to end up with people disappointed with delays/price increases.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

At least then when ordering with 3 months notice you're fully aware of what it will cost as opposed to them jacking the price up before it arrives

That’s a sensible choice for you and many others but there are a proportion who would find allocating £150 for a model announced and arriving next week, as the EFE O2’s were, very difficult if not budgeted for in advance.
The domestic authorities may also frown on breaking planned budgets!

If they knew a few months ahead then they can put it in the savings account, delays actually helping them, to have the money ready. I know several who don’t have fantastically well paid jobs and a new loco is a luxury once or twice a year usually. If they are surprised by a sudden announcement it becomes a choice of ditching one of the pre orders for it, which also may be a much anticipated model, or hoping it does hang around for long enough to save up. 
I know one person who has been very glad of the APT delay as he can now afford the longer set but admitted to worrying that they would be sold out before he could afford the extension packs. 
So what’s mildly frustrating for those of us with the pockets to cope can be absolute joy for others ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s a sensible choice for you and many others but there are a proportion who would find allocating £150 for a model announced and arriving next week, as the EFE O2’s were, very difficult if not budgeted for in advance.
The domestic authorities may also frown on breaking planned budgets!

I had thought that if somebody saves up for a model when it is announced, if it wasn't announced they'd be saving anyway for when something they want is announced and therefore delaying the announcement wouldn't have financial impact unless that money had been spent elsewhere (on something that wouldn't have been bought had the other announcement come along sooner).

Maybe even announcing models but not taking pre orders/attempting to make commitments in terms of delivery date or price. Means people can start saving, and announcing an ETA and price is irrelevant to budgeting if it is going to be wrong anyway.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

if it wasn't announced they'd be saving anyway for when something they want is announced and therefore delaying the announcement wouldn't have financial impact unless that money had been spent elsewhere

;) never underestimate the ooh impulse buy wrecking the fund! Hence why I referred to it as budgeting for a particular model. 

• Like 1

Have visited Chester Cathedral today to see the layout and it's superb. And the Apt looks absolutely terrific live. Photos don't really do it justice - the paint job especially, detail and window surrounds look amazing. For anyone who's ordered this, like myself, has a lot to look forward to. BTW, lights in all carriages too. It looks quite a stunning model.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gazwire said:

Have visited Chester Cathedral today to see the layout and it's superb. And the Apt looks absolutely terrific live. Photos don't really do it justice - the paint job especially, detail and window surrounds look amazing. For anyone who's ordered this, like myself, has a lot to look forward to. BTW, lights in all carriages too. It looks quite a stunning model.

When I filmed the APT-P at Chester, the lights in the second carriage went off and on…probably dodgy pick ups there. (This can be seen in my video, linked to earlier…;))

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Maybe me, but that electricity pylon nearest the camera looks like it is falling or tilted forwards in this photo! 

It’s you…..:D……it’s actually a pylon which changes the direction of the cables so I guess it looks a bit odd.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

12 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

When I filmed the APT-P at Chester, the lights in the second carriage went off and on…probably dodgy pick ups there. (This can be seen in my video, linked to earlier…;))

I had to attend a funeral in Wrexham a couple of weeks ago,sadly,but as Chester was 25 miles away,and a town I had never visited,I thought it would make a nice diversion,and my Girlfreind likes Cathedrals anyway,so all good.Typical of the run of luck I’m experiencing at the moment,APT wasn’t present,as it was away being repaired I was informed.Still,great layout as others had mentioned,just a shame my main reason for visiting wasn’t present.I should mention it was due back that afternoon but I didn’t have the time to hang around to see it.

Edited by guarded
Added info
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 22/08/2021 at 08:31, Mr_Tilt said:

The 40 th anniversary of the P-Train's entry into service is THIS year, on Dec 7th. 

I'm intending to do the run again on that date, if Avanti West Coast ever answer my emails, that is.

Apologies yes I was meant to say testing in 1979/1980.  Yes Well how amazing would it be if they actually arrive on our door steps on December 7th or before to run it on the 40th Anniversary date?

Edited by RyanN91
typo

On 27/08/2021 at 10:17, JSpencer said:

Maybe me, but that electricity pylon nearest the camera looks like it is falling or tilted forwards in this photo! 

The national grid is almost 100 years old well in a few years time late 1920s early 1930s as well!. The electricity Transmission towers or pylons have certainly aged well in appearance!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Apologies yes I was meant to say testing in 1979/1980.  Yes Well how amazing would it be if they actually arrive on our door steps on December 7th or before to run it on the 40th Anniversary date?

What a good idea THAT would be! I wonder if Pete Waterman realises the possibilities? :D

• Agree 1

On 21/08/2021 at 16:32, ThaneofFife said:

is this going to be a regular catalogue model or once the initial models have sold thats ya lot ?  id like one a 7 car set but cant afford the £530 right now.  

I know that's a large sum of money, especially for a model train... But if the second batch is approved and arrives a couple of years later who knows what it will cost! Look at how HST power cars went all of a sudden. 

Something to consider perhaps. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

5 car pack now listed for December 2021.

7 car pack now listed for January 2022.

Coach packs listed for October 2021. 

Disappointing but it will turn up when it turns up was thinking they were soon as a production model was at Chester. I wonder if there is a shipping rather than a production issue. If the coach packs arrive first I wonder if we can couple them to conventional stock and drag them round like a test train.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Markwj said:

If the coach packs arrive first I wonder if we can couple them to conventional stock and drag them round like a test train.

They have unique couplings so not unless you bodge something up lol.