We are aware of the intermittent site speed issues at the moment. Please be patient and don't repeatedly click things as that compounds the issue.

Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

2 hours ago, E100 said:

Paint replication was a major thing I couldn't understand either unless they just send that model back to the factory as a control.

The capacitor is quite ironic when they have gone to some effort with the interior and the irony of the lighting actually makes it worse by highlighting it.

This is what makes me think the interior lighting was an afterthought 

On 06/11/2021 at 11:05, boxbrownie said:

The biggest problem is the colour of the lighting it’s viewed under, very few models are viewed in open daylight and almost no full size trains are viewed under room lighting.

My whole career was often plagued by comments like “it looks the wrong colour” when showing clients pictures, then when showing them at a window the same image they suddenly say “oh that’s more like it”…..despite asking beforehand where it will be displayed/viewed the most they still pick holes!   Just like being in here really :D

Hi

Plus the underlying substrate is different. At work we have different tolerances for brown and white as the colour looks completely different depending on which it’s printed on.

Cheers

Paul

I thought someone had mentioned this possibility before, but perhaps not.

It's quite possible that the original design used a much smaller capacitor for the lighting, but when it came to production time, that size just wasn't available and they either had to use the 'next best' or delay the entire production run? 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I thought someone had mentioned this possibility before, but perhaps not.

It's quite possible that the original design used a much smaller capacitor for the lighting, but when it came to production time, that size just wasn't available and they either had to use the 'next best' or delay the entire production run? 

Think that was me Kit, I suggested that a surface mounted component may have been specified originally but due to component shortages etc an electrolytic had to be used. Mere speculation of course.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, craigy said:

Hmm, that " bloke in a paint stained overall " was me, and working on it for 13 years does give me a bit of an idea on the colours and experience..hence the visit of James to clarify the colours.

“Bloke in a paint stained overall” is a great username you know.Right up there with “Mr Tilt”.

Many thanks for all your hard work.Its appreciated here.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

12 hours ago, craigy said:

Hmm, that " bloke in a paint stained overall " was me, and working on it for 13 years does give me a bit of an idea on the colours and experience..hence the visit of James to clarify the colours.

It’s OK , I was colour printing for over 40 years but I still got people complaining they were sure Grandads face was never that red :lol:

• Funny 3

14 hours ago, craigy said:

There is no substitute for experience 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, sga962 said:

That body side gap is a bit of an eyesore

I see what you mean. In the 1st sec of the vid you get a good side on of the nose. Something dosent look wright on the joint line. Looks like its bulging, It could be the light causing that. What is clear the pantograph looks poor. Its not even stright. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My two NDMs have now arrived safely, the second one will give up its motor etc. for transplant into the non powered one in the 7 car set.

I may then part with the non powered NDM 49004 that results if there is anyone that wants a non powered one?

Andi

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, oleander said:

I see what you mean. In the 1st sec of the vid you get a good side on of the nose. Something dosent look wright on the joint line. Looks like its bulging, It could be the light causing that. What is clear the pantograph looks poor. Its not even stright. 

Dosent, wright, stright. Spellchecker broken?

• Like 2

I certainly get the bit about asking Mr paint stained at Crewe,

the bit I found surprising was Mr paint stained at Margate ( a distant relative )mixing the beige by eye like some crazy mixologist for inter city , still it seemed to work out fine .

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I certainly get the bit about asking Mr paint stained at Crewe,

the bit I found surprising was Mr paint stained at Margate ( a distant relative )mixing the beige by eye like some crazy mixologist for inter city , still it seemed to work out fine .

This was my point. I think it's great idea getting the people who are involved in effectively setting the benchmark involved as I think that adds a fair bit of credibility to it when someone says this shade isn't right. It was just how on earth does the Hornby paint guru go about replicating it. I'd assume there is maybe some more science to it and it was dumbed down/shortened for TV.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/11/2021 at 21:51, craigy said:

My comment relating to this was more that they had a guy mixing it in Margate by skeg of the eye rather than getting your input on the comparison.

1 hour ago, E100 said:

This was my point. I think it's great idea getting the people who are involved in effectively setting the benchmark involved as I think that adds a fair bit of credibility to it when someone says this shade isn't right. It was just how on earth does the Hornby paint guru go about replicating it. I'd assume there is maybe some more science to it and it was dumbed down/shortened for TV.

Yes exactly!

On 10/11/2021 at 22:07, Dagworth said:

My two NDMs have now arrived safely, the second one will give up its motor etc. for transplant into the non powered one in the 7 car set.

I may then part with the non powered NDM 49004 that results if there is anyone that wants a non powered one?

Andi

I've just taken delivery of a powered one that I was going to remove motor, if anyone wants a powered one I'll take up your offer.

Join lines are unavoidable but I was thinking for a while now apologies if this has already been mentioned on here I haven't seen it if it has. Anyway about the join lines on the DTS' what if they had or they were personally applied the final InterCity APT-P logo with the APT in red with the red stripe perhaps that could make the join lines less noticeable.

On 13/11/2021 at 18:43, RyanN91 said:

Join lines are unavoidable but I was thinking for a while now apologies if this has already been mentioned on here I haven't seen it if it has. Anyway about the join lines on the DTS' what if they had or they were personally applied the final InterCity APT-P logo with the APT in red with the red stripe perhaps that could make the join lines less noticeable.

Surely join lines are only unavoidable and need to be masked if the chassis is bowl shaped (cheaper and easier to engineer) if it is flat and the sides cover the “eye” line then the join line is underneath, staring at the track! I appreciate this prabably means a metal chassis so extra cost. 

On 24/10/2021 at 18:51, InterCity80s said:

The "coming soon" page currently has the 5 car set due in December 2021 and the 7 car set in January 2022: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

The Hornby website is showing both 5 and 7 car sets as being due in December 2021 now: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

The Hornby website is showing both 5 and 7 car sets as being due in December 2021 now: https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?winter=true&page=1

Thanks for this hopefully next month they will arrive.  Off topic but related to it. Just a little longer to wait for the BR Class 91s January 2022! I just hope the info on the back of the box packaging is updated to mention the MRK 4 coaches and MK4 DVTs for INTERCITY 225 trains. as the description is still from the 2020 information where it just mentions MK3 and MK2 coach rolling stock.

I also wonder if we'll have the BR INTERCITY swallow logo on the top of the box like the BR Class 370 NDM has the InterCity APT logo instead of the ariel rooftop image of it but either was both designs are good whichever eventually appears on the final product.

• PaulRhB changed the title to Hornby APT (2020 tooling)