Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

I was prevaricating over going for a full set but have gone for it because the way that Hornby are selling the add-on packs. Every pack gives you an identical coach from each of two 7-car (half)-sets, so if you only buy some packs you end up symmetrically reducing the train you can run. Getting all the packs allows for maximum flexibility for running short sets, as you can run (for example) a full 7 set paired with a reduced set. I remember the APT during the years it ran up and down the WCML (I grew up in Hatch End) and it is bang in the middle of my core modelling period so if any 'special' train deserves to be accommodated in my fleet it is this one.

I hope one day to create a wall display of some of my favourite trains and it did occur to me that having the half sets on two rows would be a practical way to avoid having to find a 4m shelf run!

12 hours ago, Dagworth said:

You are probably correct, I was more thinking when I made that comment that it was certainly a lot longer than the "around 3 metres" that I responded to. So actually "Around 4 metres" would be better?

Yeah, it's definitely going to be in the nearly-four-metres range. Plan for 4m of space to fit the full set. 3m should comfortably fit the shorter 2+2+6 formation.

12 hours ago, Dagworth said:

My rough rule of thumb is that a 4mm coach of any sort is around a foot long so a fourteen car APT should be close to 14 ft long which would be 4 and a bit metres, but my rule of thumb is a bit generous I guess?

That rule of thumb works perfectly for Mk3s or Mk4s, which are absolutely that long. This, being articulated, is a little shorter in each coach.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 16:54, Mr_Tilt said:

Like the APT-E, it probably could be restored and run, but it would need MILLIONS in cash and a change in heart of Network Rail, or whoever they are this week.

Come on now, they’ve been network rail for 20 years . I know we never miss a dig at a government dinosaur and all that…

• Like 1

First time I’ve seen one running , is on YouTube with a review from “ OO rail”, he’s stateside and got his first five car from Hong Kong..hmmm.

Anyway, seems a bit flimsy ( NDM bogie pivot broken in transit ) in places but seems to run well.

On 29/12/2021 at 00:38, zoomer1979 said:

I'm a bit worried that a single motorised NDM will not be enough to run a full 14 rake up to 155 on a typical layout, e.g some slight gradients and tight curves.

Not sure about with a single power car but it certainly seems to run well enough with two powered NDMs:

3 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

Not sure about with a single power car but it certainly seems to run well enough with two powered NDMs:

Fortunately the real thing never took those sharp corners at those speeds. Even the tilt mechanism is not going to save passengers being thrown against the outer windows lol.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Fortunately the real thing never took those sharp corners at those speeds. Even the tilt mechanism is not going to save passengers being thrown against the outer windows lol.

Will the capacitor survive the curves though ?

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

10 minutes ago, oleander said:

My Guess is Hornby has supplied some You Tubers first so they can do reviews. There was some plugging for Hornby.com in the vid 

On 28/12/2021 at 15:20, rob D2 said:

First time I’ve seen one running , is on YouTube with a review from “ OO rail”, he’s stateside and got his first five car from Hong Kong.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, oleander said:

My Guess is Hornby has supplied some You Tubers first so they can do reviews. There was some plugging for Hornby.com in the vid 

According to the first video, he got it from a shop in Hong Kong.

On 24/12/2021 at 15:51, WestRail642fan said:

I think BR just wanted to wipe away any trace of the APT, hence why they were scrapped so quickly

Except that the set at Crewe was donated by BR so clearly there was a recognition of the historic value

58 minutes ago, oleander said:

7 minutes ago, rhnrhn said:

According to the first video, he got it from a shop in Hong Kong.

The only reason we don't have the sets here yet is that they are stuck somewhere in a container backlog. That's why sets not destined for Europe have appeared on sale - they never went into the container being used to ship the domestic supply.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Will the capacitor survive the curves though ?

:D

He has an obsession with “ will the capacitor show through the window “. Show him a first generation Bachmann 150 with the engine block filling the coach - he’d implode !

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

He has an obsession with “ will the capacitor show through the window “. Show him a first generation Bachmann 150 with the engine block filling the coach - he’d implode !

Slight difference between a capacitor which could easily be placed elsewhere to hide it and a bloomin’ great big motor block with no where else to go, but nowadays even a motor block should really be “old school” and low slung motors under the seating is easily possible, Kato did it almost 20 years ago in 2mm with their DMU/EMU trains.

Some manufacturers are slowly coming around to the idea that customers might actually care, not all though.

• Like 2