Jump to content

PaulRhB

Hornby APT 2020

Recommended Posts

 

On 24/12/2019 at 10:11, AY Mod said:

BR Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train–Prototype

 

 

 

370003_Carlisle_1.jpg

 

Image - Phil Sangwell

 

image.png

 

image.png

 

image.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

So one for the experts, which coaches are needed for formations up to the full set from the list? 
Is there a site listing the variations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure more details will become available closer to the release date.

With only twin extensions packs announced, it looks like building a 14 coach set may require buying 15 & having a spare. I am sure the range will be refined before the release date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So 001 had all 01 ending numbers and so on I assume? 
I know all sorts of formations actually ran so was wondering if there was a list somewhere. 
I’ll need to sit down and figure out what’s already in the sets and then what coaches to add. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am sure more details will become available closer to the release date.

With only twin extensions packs announced, it looks like building a 14 coach set may require buying 15 & having a spare. I am sure the range will be refined before the release date.

Eh? You buy a set then add two coaches at a time, the unpowered driving trailer R3948 makes up the odd one to make 14 ;) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sets certainly ran as 2+1+2 on test (trailers+power cars+trailers) as well as 6+2+6. When I caught the train on 30 & 31 August 1984 it was running as 2+2+6, 48106, 48602, 49003, 49001, 48607, 48503, 48303, 48406, 48201, 48107. Only the 6 car set carried passengers.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

 

… or for 14.

 

I could probably accommodate a 7-car half set at a push, but I wonder how many modellers have space a for a full 14-car set. At the time I was quite happy to see the train "fail" as it meant continued operation on the WCML by locos and coaches. With hindsight, it's a shame the necessary investment was made to see out the faults, seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. BR could have been world leaders in tilting train technology had things been different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Flood, that confirms it’s not so simple ;)

 

R3874 - BR Class 370 APT

R3873 - BR Class 370 APT

 

Additional Coaches

R3948 - BR Class 370 APT Non-Driving Motor (NDM), 49004, Era 7 

 

 

Edited by PaulRhB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Eh? You buy a set then add two coaches at a time, the unpowered driving trailer R3948 makes up the odd one to make 14 ;) 

R3498 is not in the list above & Hornby's website was running so slow it was unusable. (Maybe they host this locally, an elastic cloud solution

There are 4 2-packs for sets ending in 1 & 2, which is for the 7-car set. 4x2 = 8 & the 7 car set makes it up to 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

R3498 is not in the list above & Hornby's website was running so slow it was unusable. (Maybe they host this locally, an elastic cloud solution

There are 4 2-packs for sets ending in 1 & 2, which is for the 7-car set. 4x2 = 8 & the 7 car set makes it up to 15.

 

You'll need 2 power cars for a full set, so maybe the 7 car set has 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

 

seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. 

Fiat technology was developed in house at the same time BR developed the APT.

APT technology was used elsewhere but not by Fiat.

Pendolinos use the Fiat system. Voyagers use a development of the APT system.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

 

… or for 14.

 

I could probably accommodate a 7-car half set at a push, but I wonder how many modellers have space a for a full 14-car set. At the time I was quite happy to see the train "fail" as it meant continued operation on the WCML by locos and coaches. With hindsight, it's a shame the necessary investment was made to see out the faults, seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. BR could have been world leaders in tilting train technology had things been different.

Although the need for tilt may already be past - as other trains have got faster now the need for tilt to maximise the cant into corners is dropping away - soon they may simply just adjust the cant on the track itself and not need the tilt - a major cost saving and lets things like IEPs run at 125 on the WCML.

 

What was once futuristic is already the past.

 

But I am pleased to see an RTR APT-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

 

You'll need 2 power cars for a full set, so maybe the 7 car set has 2?

Indeed you do.

The figures don't quite add up yet. Maybe things will change as it gets closer to release date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ColinK said:

What is R4970?

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

Is this what became the prototype MK4?

 

Cheers,

  60800

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suspect as Flood noted the set numbers are theoretically a full set but seemed to vary a lot in use.

As far as I knew a 14 coach set was driving trailer, 5 coaches and power car back to back with a second set. But 8 + 7 car set + second power car = 16 so one of those twin coach sets must be in the 7 car set already?

 

So to extend the 7 car set you only need 6 coaches and a R3948 as far as I can see. 


 

 

Edited by PaulRhB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have pre- ordered the 7 coach set in my excitement but will await further details before ordering anymore but also I want black window surrounds so may be cancelling what I just ordered!

Mega excited though which is quite sad for a 48yr old!

  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My goodness, all these new goodies, bang goes the bank balance again!!

 

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

 

http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/977527

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

 

 

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

 

a list of happy customers?

  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I need now are the extra coaches for a Eurostar (just made 4 which are being sprayed as I write this) and a remotored Eurostar power car and all my homemade projects will have been superseded.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

 

Nope!

  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

I am pretty sure it's part of the national collection. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.