Hornby APT 2020

On 24/12/2019 at 10:11, AY Mod said:

BR Class 370 Advanced Passenger Train–Prototype

370003_Carlisle_1.jpg

Image - Phil Sangwell

image.png

image.png

image.png

So one for the experts, which coaches are needed for formations up to the full set from the list? 
Is there a site listing the variations?

I am sure more details will become available closer to the release date.

With only twin extensions packs announced, it looks like building a 14 coach set may require buying 15 & having a spare. I am sure the range will be refined before the release date.

So 001 had all 01 ending numbers and so on I assume? 
I know all sorts of formations actually ran so was wondering if there was a list somewhere. 
I’ll need to sit down and figure out what’s already in the sets and then what coaches to add. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am sure more details will become available closer to the release date.

With only twin extensions packs announced, it looks like building a 14 coach set may require buying 15 & having a spare. I am sure the range will be refined before the release date.

Eh? You buy a set then add two coaches at a time, the unpowered driving trailer R3948 makes up the odd one to make 14 ;) 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sets certainly ran as 2+1+2 on test (trailers+power cars+trailers) as well as 6+2+6. When I caught the train on 30 & 31 August 1984 it was running as 2+2+6, 48106, 48602, 49003, 49001, 48607, 48503, 48303, 48406, 48201, 48107. Only the 6 car set carried passengers.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

… or for 14.

I could probably accommodate a 7-car half set at a push, but I wonder how many modellers have space a for a full 14-car set. At the time I was quite happy to see the train "fail" as it meant continued operation on the WCML by locos and coaches. With hindsight, it's a shame the necessary investment was made to see out the faults, seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. BR could have been world leaders in tilting train technology had things been different.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Flood, that confirms it’s not so simple ;)

R3874 - BR Class 370 APT

R3873 - BR Class 370 APT

Additional Coaches

R3948 - BR Class 370 APT Non-Driving Motor (NDM), 49004, Era 7 

Edited by PaulRhB

2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Eh? You buy a set then add two coaches at a time, the unpowered driving trailer R3948 makes up the odd one to make 14 ;) 

R3498 is not in the list above & Hornby's website was running so slow it was unusable. (Maybe they host this locally, an elastic cloud solution

There are 4 2-packs for sets ending in 1 & 2, which is for the 7-car set. 4x2 = 8 & the 7 car set makes it up to 15.

7 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

R3498 is not in the list above & Hornby's website was running so slow it was unusable. (Maybe they host this locally, an elastic cloud solution

There are 4 2-packs for sets ending in 1 & 2, which is for the 7-car set. 4x2 = 8 & the 7 car set makes it up to 15.

You'll need 2 power cars for a full set, so maybe the 7 car set has 2?

2 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. 

Fiat technology was developed in house at the same time BR developed the APT.

APT technology was used elsewhere but not by Fiat.

Pendolinos use the Fiat system. Voyagers use a development of the APT system.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

… or for 14.

I could probably accommodate a 7-car half set at a push, but I wonder how many modellers have space a for a full 14-car set. At the time I was quite happy to see the train "fail" as it meant continued operation on the WCML by locos and coaches. With hindsight, it's a shame the necessary investment was made to see out the faults, seeing as how well Fiat made use of the technology it bought as a result. BR could have been world leaders in tilting train technology had things been different.

Although the need for tilt may already be past - as other trains have got faster now the need for tilt to maximise the cant into corners is dropping away - soon they may simply just adjust the cant on the track itself and not need the tilt - a major cost saving and lets things like IEPs run at 125 on the WCML.

What was once futuristic is already the past.

But I am pleased to see an RTR APT-P

4 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

You'll need 2 power cars for a full set, so maybe the 7 car set has 2?

Indeed you do.

The figures don't quite add up yet. Maybe things will change as it gets closer to release date.

5 minutes ago, ColinK said:

What is R4970?

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

I do not believe it ran as part of an APT set.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

An experimental coach. APT sat on articulated bogies, this one sat on dedicated bogies. I believe there was only 1 & I have seen a photo but can't find it on the net.

Is this what became the prototype MK4?

Cheers,

Posted (edited)

I suspect as Flood noted the set numbers are theoretically a full set but seemed to vary a lot in use.

As far as I knew a 14 coach set was driving trailer, 5 coaches and power car back to back with a second set. But 8 + 7 car set + second power car = 16 so one of those twin coach sets must be in the 7 car set already?

So to extend the 7 car set you only need 6 coaches and a R3948 as far as I can see. 

Edited by PaulRhB

Have pre- ordered the 7 coach set in my excitement but will await further details before ordering anymore but also I want black window surrounds so may be cancelling what I just ordered!

Mega excited though which is quite sad for a 48yr old!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

My goodness, all these new goodies, bang goes the bank balance again!!

I wonder if DJM Dave provided anything to help this project along?

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Funny 2

20 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

http://www.departmentals.com/departmental/977527

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

a list of happy customers?

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

All I need now are the extra coaches for a Eurostar (just made 4 which are being sprayed as I write this) and a remotored Eurostar power car and all my homemade projects will have been superseded.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Nope!

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I am pretty sure it's part of the national collection.