Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

1 minute ago, stovepipe said:

No I very much doubt they would honour it - 'errors and omissions excepted'. The price promise is something like a 10-15% discount on release. Doubtless it will be corrected shortly.

Typical the one time I have some play money too...

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harry27 said:

So with that being said would they have to honour their prices or refund them and relist at a different rate? It's tempting to pre order now but am I wasting my time..

Hattons change their price.  They advise you of any price rise and give you the chance to cancel your order. I'm going on past Hattons pre-order experience.

• Agree 1

Joking aside, DJM models did provide some useful info to Hornby, not least the crowdfunder page showing what people actually stumped up cash for.  All very well for expressions of interests, but these poor souls actually parted with cash and whilst they weren't in the tens of thousands, there would be useful information in what people want, how much they'd pay.  Scale it up to include buyers outside of this parish, scale it up again because this model isn't crowd funded, scale it up again because of the Hornby brand.

I wonder if Dave Jones got wind this was in the pipeline?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Ouroborus said:

Joking aside, DJM models did provide some useful info to Hornby, not least the crowdfunder page showing what people actually stumped up cash for.  All very well for expressions of interests, but these poor souls actually parted with cash and whilst they weren't in the tens of thousands, there would be useful information in what people want, how much they'd pay.  Scale it up to include buyers outside of this parish, scale it up again because this model isn't crowd funded, scale it up again because of the Hornby brand.

I wonder if Dave Jones got wind this was in the pipeline?

As Hornby projects are far advanced before they are announced, normally when research and cad are complete, a timeframe that is possibly up to 2 years before announcement, it's highly likely that Hornby were researching the apt in parallel with DJM, but with less noise. So if DJM's project was still underway, this would almost certainly have led to it's cancellation I'm afraid, as happened with earlier DJM projects that Hornby were already working on.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

To say I am happy with today's announcement would be a huge understatement. Now Ravensclyffe will be getting another 14 car APT to go with the one I built from old Hornby sets.

Made my year so far!

Andi

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Captainalbino said:

Just as unusual but did happen was the 6 car set with single power car.  

image.png.632710d2def2e8c00e5d39d1ae57229e.png

Nice pictures! Is that the Laboratory car running behind the power car? the one with the raised red strip ?  Or is it suffering tilt failure ?

Edited by Down_Under
addtional info

Personally, I'm still confused, regarding the formations.

A 7 car set, plus 8 coaches = 15

A 5 Car set, plus 8 coaches + Extra NDM = 14

Will both train packs be black cab windows or one with full yellow? 

Also a few things on spec:

- Whilst it will tilt, will the pantograph remain straight as per prototype

- Will the front be liftable to expose buffers etc?

- Will the pantograph be servo fitted, or as per the Class 87?  Same question springs to mind (pardon the pun) with the Class 91.... 

Regards,

C.

• Like 1

Do you reckon they might make it compatible with the old sets, coupling wise?

I think this might be a bit out of my price range (not a complaint, just have a few other pre orders on the way) but would be tempted to get a 2 pack to make my 5 car current set into a 7 car set. 

TBH the original couplings pretty clumsy so fair enough if they don't...

50 minutes ago, dogbox321 said:

Personally, I'm still confused, regarding the formations.

A 7 car set, plus 8 coaches = 15

A 5 Car set, plus 8 coaches + Extra NDM = 14

Will both train packs be black cab windows or one with full yellow? 

Also a few things on spec:

- Whilst it will tilt, will the pantograph remain straight as per prototype

- Will the front be liftable to expose buffers etc?

- Will the pantograph be servo fitted, or as per the Class 87?  Same question springs to mind (pardon the pun) with the Class 91.... 

Regards,

C.

Regarding the 7 car set I would think 

A 7 car set, plus 6 coaches  + Extra NDM = 14 (unfortunately the extra  NDM R3948 will have the wrong number)  

What would be nice would be the 7 car set consisting of a 5 car set + NDM + APT-u but the pricing suggests a 5 car set + 2 coaches 

Cant be sure until I know which coaches are in the 7 car set?

Does any body know the unit numbers for all the cars in the 7 car set?

John

15 hours ago, Markwj said:

Have pre- ordered the 7 coach set in my excitement but will await further details before ordering anymore but also I want black window surrounds so may be cancelling what I just ordered!

Mega excited though which is quite sad for a 48yr old!

No fear, you aren't the only over-excited 48 year old...  :yahoo_mini:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, John ks said:

Cant be sure until I know which coaches are in the 7 car set?

Does any body know the unit numbers for all the cars in the 7 car set?

John

Agreed.  Looking at what's available in the twin coach packs and separate Motor Car and the 7-car set has to at least include:

DTS x 2

TBF x 2

NDMS x 2

Which leaves the question of what is the seventh car?

Something doesn't quite add up.  I guess all will become clear when the numbers of the 7-car unit are clarified...

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

From the price differential between 5 and 7-car sets, it looks like two additional trailers for the 7-car set, Possibly the TS or maybe the TSRB, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Above 7-car formations the real thing would have had two NDMS, but the model probably doesn't actually need another motor at this point. Then its adding the remaining trailers in pairs of TU, TSRB and TF.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Do you reckon they might make it compatible with the old sets, coupling wise?

Unlikely, and even if they did surely they will get the colours right this time so new intermediate coaches will stand out like a sore thumb .....

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, rembrow said:

As Hornby projects are far advanced before they are announced, normally when research and cad are complete, a timeframe that is possibly up to 2 years before announcement, it's highly likely that Hornby were researching the apt in parallel with DJM, but with less noise. So if DJM's project was still underway, this would almost certainly have led to it's cancellation I'm afraid, as happened with earlier DJM projects that Hornby were already working on.

I wish he had got wind of it and cancelled it fully refunding everybody, not doing the dirty and leaving some of us well and truly out of pocket!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Regarding DJM I kind of keep hearing the voice of darth Vader in my head saying 'now his failure is complete'. The apt is now being produced without the use of his cads and most of his other models have been duplicated so in theory all his work is worthless. Sorry maybe just me being bitter!

Anyway back to the Hornby apt, due December so I wonder where they are with it hopefully something will appear in the engine shed soon!

14 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Regarding DJM I kind of keep hearing the voice of darth Vader in my head saying 'now his failure is complete'. The apt is now being produced without the use of his cads and most of his other models have been duplicated so in theory all his work is worthless.

Is all of his work worthless?

How do you know Hornby didn't purchase his CADs from the creditor/bailiff, or that they didn't respond to the reaction he generated after announcing his one? Any such information would be unlikely to be made public.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

How do you know Hornby didn't purchase his CADs from the creditor/bailiff, or that they didn't respond to the reaction he generated after announcing his one? Any such information would be unlikely to be made public.

It has been stated several times that his cads haven't been used and it's Hornby own work although they may have seen the reaction to his proposal/ announcement and thought the model may be viable after all but he would not have received any money for this. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Because they said so at the launch. People on here have stated it was clearly said it had no connection to his former work whatsoever!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, UP 4000 said:

I wish he had got wind of it and cancelled it fully refunding everybody, not doing the dirty and leaving some of us well and truly out of pocket!

Fact is he couldn't have refunded even if he wanted to - the money had already been spent many times over on refunding previous failed projects and costs incurred getting the APT to where he was (scanning, cad work etc etc) :(

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

Fact is he couldn't have refunded even if he wanted to - the money had already been spent many times over on refunding previous failed projects and costs incurred getting the APT to where he was (scanning, cad work etc etc) :(

Finally someone that understands how crowdfunding works. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1