Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

6 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Unlikely, and even if they did surely they will get the colours right this time so new intermediate coaches will stand out like a sore thumb .....

Assume nothing   :D

8 hours ago, stovepipe said:

From the price differential between 5 and 7-car sets, it looks like two additional trailers for the 7-car set, Possibly the TS or maybe the TSRB, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Above 7-car formations the real thing would have had two NDMS, but the model probably doesn't actually need another motor at this point. Then its adding the remaining trailers in pairs of TU, TSRB and TF.

Hmmm, yeah, I see what you mean regarding the price difference, so maybe the 7-car set is:  DTS + TS + TBF + NDM + TBF + TS + DTS

But still, a representation of the second NDM would still be required (whether motorised or dummy), and the one available seems to be confirmed as being 49004, which logically would be part of 370 004, so I'm thinking that in order to achieve a 14-car set that actually we would need to start with the 5-car unit (assuming DTS + TBF + M + TBF + DTS) and add all 4 coach packs along with the additional NDM.  This assumes of course that 370 003 & 370 004 actually ran as a 14-car set?  Maybe someone more knowledgeable on APT formations of the time can enlighten us on this last point?

On the other hand, if assuming that the 7-car set is required as a starting point (which admittedly I had assumed), then you are either going to end up with an incorrectly numbered NDM, together with the consideration that one of the coach packs would likely be pointless (TS?), as presumably they are included in the 5-car default unit?  Unless of course other configurations also ran at the time including extra TS vehicles in place of TRSB/TF - again a more knowledgeable source might be useful.  

Al

Edited by YesTor
Now irrelevant, clarification provided below in subsequent posts...

19 hours ago, Captainalbino said:

Do you mean a bit like this?

APT 370001 at Lancaster 17th July 84'

image.png.74e094399a4394f5aab0e087da8c23e0.png

the above pic looks like the  actual 7-car formation featuring the APT-U development car

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

Morning all, I've asked Paul Isles about the formations and liveries for the APT sets, this being his direct quoted answer;

''The 7-car APT (which is based on an actual 7-car formation featuring the APT-U development car) will feature the black window surround, while the 5-car will feature the plain yellow front. The catalogue, on p.61, features full details, along with additional vehicle numbers and how they will complete sets.''

I'm happy to post his response to me due to him stating only what will evidently be in the catalogue when people get their hands on it

Cheers,

Start with the 7 car set & you've got the set shown above

Remove the APT-U coach & add R40011A TS & or  R40012A TRBS & or R40013A TU & or R40014A TF to make 8,10,12, or 14 car sets

I've upgraded the following table to reflect what I now believe to be correct

Unit number followed by Hornby "R" number

Sets are highlighted & coach packs are colour coded

image.png.473f841adb9c567d7ad313d9ac52d6b9.png 

John

Edited by John ks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, John ks said:

John 

That does indeed make sense.  :)

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, John ks said:

the above pic looks like the  actual 7-car formation featuring the APT-U development car

Start with the 7 car set & you've got the set shown above

Remove the APT-U coach & add R40011A TS & or  R40012A TRBS & or R40013A TU & or R40014A TF to make 8,10,12, or 14 car sets

John

Well done that man!   Fancy a job in Hornby?

Can any tell me whether they have said if it is a central motor driving the two bogies, or it just a motor mounted on a bogie with traction tyres?

I'd also really like some more clarification about how they are going to mount the pantograph.

2 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

Can any tell me whether they have said if it is a central motor driving the two bogies, or it just a motor mounted on a bogie with traction tyres?

I'd also really like some more clarification about how they are going to mount the pantograph.

If the HST and the Class 800 are anything to go by. I would imagine that this new APT will have all wheel drive with a central can motor on the power car that was mounted into the middle of the train.

10 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

If the HST and the Class 800 are anything to go by. I would imagine that this new APT will have all wheel drive with a central can motor on the power car that was mounted into the middle of the train.

I really hope so, also I'd like plenty of fine detail.  But if anyone can find out about the pantograph I'd be interested to hear about how they are going to mount it.  The old one was badly mounted and very large.  I'd prefer it was the BWHS version as well!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

The model has only just been announced. I am sure further details will be released later.

It is possible that some are currently undecided in case they have to be changed later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I would imagine it will be done much like my own NDM with a centrally motored chassis driving all four axles (ex Heljan in my case) and the pan mounted on the chassis so that it stays both vertical and in line with the car, while the body is able to roll/tilt around the central chassis.

I can't see any other way of making a central motored vehicle with tilt.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I would imagine it will be done much like my own NDM with a centrally motored chassis driving all four axles (ex Heljan in my case) and the pan mounted on the chassis so that it stays both vertical and in line with the car, while the body is able to roll/tilt around the central chassis.

I can't see any other way of making a central motored vehicle with tilt.

I've done my old one the same Andi.  Not got a pantograph for it yet though.  Still waiting to be able to buy a decent one as a spare.

2 hours ago, John ks said:

John

So, buy the 7 car set and one of the TRBS sets, knock out the APT-U, one of the NDM's, add in one of the TRBS coaches, do a bit of renumbering and you have the preserved example at Crewe ;)

Edit*   With only needing to flog the APT-U and the spare TRBS, the latter of which shouldn't be too difficult as others may want to re-create the survivor too. I'll be keeping the APT-U as it's the development step between APT and Intercity 225

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
Extra info
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Well yes, and their catalogue is often error-strewn too, but I meant the listing for the 7-car gives a lot of detail, everything apart from what is actually included!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-class-370-advanced-passenger-train-set-370-001-and-370-002-7-car-pack-era-7.html

Hornby could be great company if they were properly customer focussed. The big announcement to create excitement, followed by confusion and frustration. I would have placed an order by now if things were clear from the start, which should surely be their focus.

As stated above from Paul Isles via a member messaging him, page 61 in the catalogue will contain full formation details and which products to order to complete the sets. 

22 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

A one-off thread hijack

Whilst highly unlikely, I would love to see Hornby produce an N-Gauge version.

Now back to the thread please

es grüßt 

pc

Well they did an N Gauge version of the Brighton Belle so there is a slight possibility.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Yes I accept that a sensible compromise must be made and options limited. It is a potential minefield, which is why Hornby need to be clear.

The 5-car set was not in doubt - it can only be formed one way. However the website does not say that it is the yellow front version, which has only come to light today, via someone sending a PM to Paul Isles. Similarly the 7-car set has just been confirmed as the black front version, yet we still don't know for sure what is included.

I mean it's not like it's their flagship 2020 release or anything...

*Random quote picked*  I'm feeling Deja vu . . . .   Arguments over APTs     :jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I might do, but the last one I had (2009?) was full of errors.....

Besides the catalogue is printed and out this week, so someone already knows, and the details of the 5-car are on the webpage already, .............well, you know what I'm going to say....put it here.:P:P

Edited by stovepipe

at the pretty decent prices we have seen I would not build up any hopes of interior lighting being a feature on this model.  certainly nothing listed in the spec but I dont feel its doable at this price point.  Be great if Hornby didas more models come along with interior lighting but with all the gubbins (pick ups, inter coach connections and light bars etc) on a 7 car set I would be thinking the price would be considerably higher.  exterior and cab lights at best I think.