Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

17 hours ago, oleander said:

Intresting the articatulated bogie is one unit unlike the 1980s wich was two.
John

A good move IMHO. I think the original 80's APT was possibly the only articulated model ever made with bogies split into two halves. All the articulated models I can think of from the 1970s onwards, be they Jouef, Lima, Mehano, Trix, Fleischmann, etc all use a complete bogie onto which you clip the adjoining trailer. The close-coupling on the mide-90s Lima Collection TGVs was particularly well-designed, offering prototypical spacing between the trailers whilst allowing you to run the train on a kid's roundy-roundy layout :D

JB

IMG_20190508_133504744.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice Line up of TGV and Ave,love the La Post. Mega bucks nower days  .

There one big difrence between the TGV models and APT and that is tilting. I have a Lima TGV Sud east. Yes the coupling is good. But ridged in the twisting sense. May be Hornby good modife it . If they could then it would be a good system .

John

Hi One and All....

Sorry, its my first time on this thread as I have not been on RMWeb much since DJ Models Announcement going bust. 

Best news in the Hornby 2020 Catalogue, I just hope it will be a better model than the current Hornby APT-P Model of the 1980's. Even though Hornby say NEW TOOLING, I'm not so sure that still means its going to be better than the existing, that just says to me, We are releasing the same one that we did back in 1984 but we are just slapping a DCC-Ready Board in the Motor, as if Hornby are going to make a better class 91 than Cavalex would have..., again are Hornby just making the Class 91 DCC-Ready. I do Hope and I say Hope because I really really hope Hornby will pull this one out the bag. 

I cant see it being anywhere near, or on any level the same as what the DJ Models APT-P was ever going to be,  it ain't going to have on-board Lighting. Perhaps I may be under estimating what Hornby are capable of producing, Is it just going to be a 'Rail-Road' Range of an APT-P...?..., Yes I do, is my answer, but we will see.

One shock I must admit on a good note, was that Hornby are doing the APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project, what was then, the new MK5 Prototype Test Coach.  Which I must say I am hugely happy about this APT Coach over all others available APT-P Coaches and massive bonus over the DJ Models version of the APT-P as DJ Models said they will not be doing the Ex-TS coach aka the APT-U coach...!

I am aware that the DJ Models APT-P adventure is no part of the Hornby 2020 Release APT-P Adventure, hence the negative comments I started with, about NEW TOOLING and are they just slapping a DCC-Ready Chip and circuit board etc, in the Old Hornby APT-P to just bring it in to the 21st century.

It does seems that Hornby are re-visiting all old 'DC Models' and Re-Releasing them as DCC-Ready over the last few 3-years or so Hornby Catalogues.

Hi to everyone from the DJ Model Thread, I have noticed several Avatar Pictures lol and to Colin_McLeod and Dagworth, sending you my best regards to you both.

Look forward to reading more as time goes on hey, lets see what Hornby can Produce...! 

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi One and All....

Sorry, its my first time on this thread as I have not been on RMWeb much since DJ Models Announcement going bust. 

Best news in the Hornby 2020 Catalogue, I just hope it will be a better model than the current Hornby APT-P Model of the 1980's. Even though Hornby say NEW TOOLING, I'm not so sure that still means its going to be better than the existing, that just says to me, We are releasing the same one that we did back in 1984 but we are just slapping a DCC-Ready Board in the Motor, as if Hornby are going to make a better class 91 than Cavalex would have..., again are Hornby just making the Class 91 DCC-Ready. I do Hope and I say Hope because I really really hope Hornby will pull this one out the bag. 

I cant see it being anywhere near, or on any level the same as what the DJ Models APT-P was ever going to be,  it ain't going to have on-board Lighting. Perhaps I may be under estimating what Hornby are capable of producing, Is it just going to be a 'Rail-Road' Range of an APT-P...?..., Yes I do, is my answer, but we will see.

One shock I must admit on a good note, was that Hornby are doing the APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project, what was then, the new MK5 Prototype Test Coach.  Which I must say I am hugely happy about this APT Coach over all others available APT-P Coaches and massive bonus over the DJ Models version of the APT-P as DJ Models said they will not be doing the Ex-TS coach aka the APT-U coach...!

I am aware that the DJ Models APT-P adventure is no part of the Hornby 2020 Release APT-P Adventure, hence the negative comments I started with, about NEW TOOLING and are they just slapping a DCC-Ready Chip and circuit board etc, in the Old Hornby APT-P to just bring it in to the 21st century.

It does seems that Hornby are re-visiting all old 'DC Models' and Re-Releasing them as DCC-Ready over the last few 3-years or so Hornby Catalogues.

Hi to everyone from the DJ Model Thread, I have noticed several Avatar Pictures lol and to Colin_McLeod and Dagworth, sending you my best regards to you both.

Look forward to reading more as time goes on hey, lets see what Hornby can Produce...! 

Regards

Jamie

Firstly welcome to the thread. Secondly, the 80s APT tooling has been scrapped. This is definately all new tooling and there are 3D prints a few posts up which would not be required if it were the old tooling being released. Those prints required modern CAD work. Whether it will have onboard lighting (unlikely) lifting nose (unlikely) and tartan seats (they might just decorate the interior), we'll see. But this one has a far greater chance of reaching peoples layouts at least and I've ordered the full train (+1 coach). From the prints we see the bogies are far better than the 80s one and are not split section of the old. I am totally confident this will be light years better than the 80s toy.

Going OT, the old Hornby 91 had  a DCC socket added years ago. This is all new tooling. 21st standard yes. As good as Cavalex? maybe, maybe not, we'll see. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Titan said:

Well I have noticed that on the CAD samples the lifting nose part is a separate piece...

Hi Yes I did notice that the nose was a separate piece...

So hopefully it may lift up to show a NEM socket if nothing else...

Thanks TITAN

Regards

Jamie 

22 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Firstly welcome to the thread. Secondly, the 80s APT tooling has been scrapped. This is definately all new tooling and there are 3D prints a few posts up which would not be required if it were the old tooling being released. Those prints required modern CAD work. Whether it will have onboard lighting (unlikely) lifting nose (unlikely) and tartan seats (they might just decorate the interior), we'll see. But this one has a far greater chance of reaching peoples layouts at least and I've ordered the full train (+1 coach). From the prints we see the bogies are far better than the 80s one and are not split section of the old. I am totally confident this will be light years better than the 80s toy.

Going OT, the old Hornby 91 had  a DCC socket added years ago. This is all new tooling. 21st standard yes. As good as Cavalex? maybe, maybe not, we'll see. 

Hi JSpencer and thank you for your welcome, much appropriated...!

Yes, I did know the old had been done away with and Yes I did see the 3D Prints, but I was comparing those with Dave's @DJM 3D model and I thought is looked more detailed, so that's where my doubts stepped in.

My Original Order was... 4x 14-Car Set, 1x 10-Car Sets, and x1 7-Car Yellow Set, and x1 7-Car Set Black Fronted with DjM, so the Hornby model will be no different, the high 14-Car Set was to thin the coaches down to the less numbered rakes that I had on order and to get all the running numbers that I wanted.

Yes I also noticed the bogies did look far better and not so high up as the original APT-P, I am pleased about the APT-U Coach and for me is the biggest bonus that Hornby have put down to release. Like you say, wait and see what we get, I'm sure few modellers will do there own up grades whatever the case.

It is certainly exciting to see this and must admit never saw that coming, if i'm honest.

Regards

Jamie

2 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

My Original Order was... 4x 14-Car Set, 1x 10-Car Sets, and x1 7-Car Yellow Set, and x1 7-Car Set Black Fronted with DjM, so the Hornby model will be no different, the high 14-Car Set was to thin the coaches down to the less numbered rakes that I had on order and to get all the running numbers that I wanted.

Wow! You were very brave. My personal experience with the class 71 and class 74 crowdfunders made me hold back. Was worried no one would ever do an APT-P without having to jump through a series of hoops to get it but here Hornby have saved the day. And how happy I am for them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Wow! You were very brave. My personal experience with the class 71 and class 74 crowdfunders made me hold back. Was worried no one would ever do an APT-P without having to jump through a series of hoops to get it but here Hornby have saved the day. And how happy I am for them.

Hi JSpencer

You tell me I was brave... I stop breathing for the first 72 hours, you imagine if I was on my 4th Payment when they announced the Bust... £5k down the plug hole without a trace... Luckily I split the order over two Credit Cards and Both Capital One and Nationwide paid back a full refund... I was so chuffed, (no pun intended)  I can say it was only that, that I was breathing on all four cylinders thereafter...

But I don't call myself 7APT7 just because... lol

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

For those who are questioning the Hornby R4970, BR, InterCity APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204 / 977527 - Era 7

The APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project, (the Next Mark [MK] of Coach) Test Prototype Coach although it was NOT a Tilting Coach, I believe.

But it goes to show just how far ahead of  its time the APT-P was, including the next generation of coaches in the pipeline, when you consider MK5 have only just come out in the last what... 18 months 2-years or so... A true marvel of engineering at its very best.

post-5212-0-69396300-1527977645_thumb.jpg

This should be in your Rake, even if its just the only spare coach you have, then this coach should be the extra APT Coach to buy for £39.99

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi One and All....

I have noticed several Avatar Pictures lol and to Colin_McLeod and Dagworth, sending you my best regards to you both.

Regards

Jamie

11 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Luckily I split the order over two Credit Cards and Both Capital One and Nationwide paid back a full refund... I was so chuffed, (no pun intended)  I can say it was only that, that I was breathing on all four cylinders thereafter...

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Welcome back.

I'm delighted to hear that you got all your money back. Well done.

Maybe you will get the APTs you want this time round from Hornby.

I'm following this thread with interest but having spent my £250 DJM refund (plus a bit) on Hornby 1980s APTs and embarked on a "cut and shut" project to build a 10 car set I will probably not get a new Hornby one.  I am however considering getting a new tooled non driving power car and perhaps the experimental coach.

Regards

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi JSpencer

You tell me I was brave... I stop breathing for the first 72 hours, you imagine if I was on my 4th Payment when they announced the Bust... £5k down the plug hole without a trace... Luckily I split the order over two Credit Cards and Both Capital One and Nationwide paid back a full refund... I was so chuffed, (no pun intended)  I can say it was only that, that I was breathing on all four cylinders thereafter...

Regards

Jamie

That's fantastic news, Jamie, well done indeed! I've written off my DJ payment, but at least it was only one. I'm looking forward to the new Hornby one now though. Didn't think one would be announced so soon.

Cheers

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Waverley West said:

That's fantastic news, Jamie, well done indeed! I've written off my DJ payment, but at least it was only one. I'm looking forward to the new Hornby one now though. Didn't think one would be announced so soon.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave, a very good day to you...

Hope you are keeping well my friend. Yes, what if it was the final payment before DJM called it time much later.... up the creek with out a paddle, springs to mind, but then that applied to everyone who put money down on a Model or two or more lol

Sorry to hear you have not got your money back Dave, hope all avenues have been explored. I to, wrote it all off and was so gutted, but at the same time glad it was only One Payment lost and not 2/3 or 4, that was the ONLY POSITIVE could take from a Bad Situation, that was till I spoke to Andy York at the Warley MRC YouTube Meet-Up back in July 07, 2019, it was an excellent day and I was really glad I went. I saw many YouTuber's in the flesh, then I met Andy gave ne some real helpful advice on my claim, and also from Colin on this thread above. There advice was so useful and helpful in what to say and where to start. The Praise as to go to Andy and Colin personally.

On-wards and upwards... Yes Dave.... it was a huge SHOCK to see the Hornby APT-P Announcement, and the Catalogue 2020 Graphics (Front Cover) as to be the best to-date from Hornby I think! The Hints were all there lol The choose they are giving us I think is endless on what Rakes of the APT-P we want to run, and to but it in Two Packs, makes it easy to slowly build up the rake we want, I just hope they have not under estimated the stock, that sends eBay in to silly money. I'm in two minds, do I sell my 1980's APT-P stock or keep it to compare how much better it will be.

I know I read somewhere on here about will the New 2020 APT-P be comparable with the 1980's APT-P. I say not, based on 3D Printing is far more accurately to scale and therefore I can't see anything matching, and hopefully colour matching will be better to by today's standards from that of the 1980's. 

Lets cross everything possible hey and hope Hornby can deliver a great model for us all, so we can all relive the days of the 80's

Nice talking to you Dave, take care bud.

Regards

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Hi Jamie

Welcome back.

I'm delighted to hear that you got all your money back. Well done.

Maybe you will get the APTs you want this time round from Hornby.

I'm following this thread with interest but having spent my £250 DJM refund (plus a bit) on Hornby 1980s APTs and embarked on a "cut and shut" project to build a 10 car set I will probably not get a new Hornby one.  I am however considering getting a new tooled non driving power car and perhaps the experimental coach.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin, How are you bud and nice to be back from a long break...

The first search I did was look for the "Hornby 2020 Releases" threads and from that, I landed on this thread. 

I'm still working my way through all the comments and interesting to read by many, on our expectations which we seem to be using DJM as a basis to start from, sorry to mention DJM as some comments made me laugh about reading to many DJM and APT Letters in the same sentence / comments, which bought a smile to my face. I guess for those that was following DJM with interest, it is only natural to repeat the same comments on what we all expect and want from Hornby. Lets just hope Hornby don't go bust in the process hey lol but then no one will have lost anything accept a great childhood company that makes just about everything we have today.

Colin, I have several APT-P Coaches to "cut n shut", it just sad for every Two APT-P coaches, one is scrapped and only used for spares n repairs, does it not brake your heart... Colin, when you first put the Knife in to the APT-P, that's like... Childhood Flash Backs of the Breaker's Yard and seeing the APT being cut up and smashed to bits, watching chairs fly out the side of the smashed APT windows along with carpets and luggage shelving, to never again exists on the News at the time... Still having counselling for those scenes now haha lol... I don't know who is the Bravest, Me having the possibility of loosing all my money or You, putting a knife to your APT-P, now that's brave... very brave. lol 

Nice to hear from you Colin, you take care bud.

Regards

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

I know I read somewhere on here about will the New 2020 APT-P be comparable with the 1980's APT-P. I say not, based on 3D Printing is far more accurately to scale and therefore I can't see anything matching,

The first question has to be why would they?

Hi All

I am so tempted to buy a Rake of 8 or so of the APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project coaches, and put a class Class 90/91 and DVT on the back to continue the what could have been.

Like we all run what we want on our layouts, whether it existed or not, this is one of my WHAT IF'S that will be running on my layout. I'll do my own experimental rake maybe my Class 89001 in InterCity Livery, now there a unique combo to see at a Model Show in 2012 haha lol

Regards

Jamie

10 minutes ago, royaloak said:

The first question has to be why would they?

Doh...! 

Hi Royaloak and good day... 

Well spotted, it's no good changing it now, that should have said Compatible not Comparable, like you say, why would they?, I agree totally my friend.

Oops Sorry!

Saying that, I'm sure someone will make the old match the new in some way... needs must when it come down to money!

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

1 minute ago, 7APT7 said:

Doh...! 

Hi Royaloak and good day... 

Well spotted, it's no good changing it now, that should have said Compatible not Comparable, like you say, why would they?, I agree totally my friend.

Oops Sorry!

Regards

Jamie

I would just like to point out that I read it as compatible so that would be an oops from me as well.:wacko::lol:

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi All

I am so tempted to buy a Rake of 8 or so of the APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project coaches, and put a class Class 90/91 and DVT on the back to continue the what could have been.

Like we all run what we want on our layouts, whether it existed or not, this is one of my WHAT IF'S that will be running on my layout. I'll do my own experimental rake maybe my Class 89001 in InterCity Livery, now there a unique combo to see at a Model Show in 2012 haha lol

Regards

Jamie

2012??

I like that idea of the class 91 "might have been" train. 

• Funny 1

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

This my be heresy, but whilst the APT-P is indeed iconic I always thought the coach doors looked like an afterthought in the design process.

The eventual Mk4 coach that came along was much nicer.

There, got that off my chest, as you were :D

Heresy on 3 counts.

Heresy by word, heresy by deed, heresy by thought, heresy by action, 4 counts.

APT was designed by aircraft engineers. Who knows what they prioritised in the design process?

• Funny 2