Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

2 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi All

573485726_APTP_Opening_DoorsSMALL.jpg.63b5a2121ad3e04d1b471c54a881be29.jpg

73731111_APTP_Trailer_Second_Centre_A2Right.jpg.54f1d422ab96bb46bbaadb4bc022724c.jpg

I do hope Hornby match the colours more correctly on the Next 2020 APT-P Release...

Regards

Jamie

Feel free to contact a member of the Hornby team and share your concerns with them. Whilst there are a number of Hornby reps on this forum, there's still a chance that they might not see your post or simply be inactive.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/01/2020 at 00:00, 7APT7 said:

I came across these to, I wonder if these variants were ever planned for Real to... 

1738088300_APT2FictitiousBuffetPowerPantograph.jpg.87f99c67362286a2d8ce63dcdd56cad0.jpg

Hi 7APT7

Love the Fictitious Buffet Power Pantograph coach, where did you find these ? They're obviously based on my old drawings from the www.APT-P.com site!

Rob

Edited by APT-P

19 minutes ago, APT-P said:

Hi 7APT7

Love the Fictitious Buffet Power Pantograph coach, where did you find these ? They're obviously based on my old drawings from the www.APT-P.com site!

Rob

Hi Rob haha your avatar picture rings a bell... that's without looking on your website then...

yes, you are correct, but I found those via Google Search Pictures... Did they exsist then would you know or planned to produce...?

You may know my next question, Do we know what the True Colours are of the APT-P, so I can contact Hornby with what the colours are, as the 80's ones were out more so the Grey'ish / Cream main body...? In hope we get certain things right the second time around with Hornby... Hmmm

Regards

Jamie

10 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Feel free to contact a member of the Hornby team and share your concerns with them. Whilst there are a number of Hornby reps on this forum, there's still a chance that they might not see your post or simply be inactive.

That's is true...

The best person may be Dagworth, as he may know what colours are more accurate for the New Model.

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold
On 08/01/2020 at 23:36, big jim said:

Ive got a photo my dad took in the 80s of it in a formation at crewe

ive got a pic of it on photobucket But it’s down at the mo, when it comes back I’ll upload it or if I can find the original print I’ll use the forum upload feature 

And we’re back with photobucket, here is the pic of the one off ‘bogie both end coach’ in a formation 

creweapt.jpg

also 2 powercars in the formation too

crewestation11.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, big jim said:

And we’re back with photobucket, here is the pic of the one off ‘bogie both end coach’ in a formation 

creweapt.jpg

also 2 powercars in the formation too

crewestation11.jpg

So that’s effectively the 7 car set Hornby’s doing isn’t it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So that’s effectively the 7 car set Hornby’s doing isn’t it?

Sorry I edited the post and added the extra photo which shows the strange formation that day with 2 powercars, seems to be 2 separate ‘halves’ of trains lashed together and it’s a lot longer than 7 cars 

Edited by big jim

Hi All

I Found My Humbrol Colour booklet out, from a Document I had repaired earlier.

The Humbrol NEW... Rail Colour ranges The FULL RANGE OF COLOURS ARE:.... 

RC401 to RC 423, RC = Rail Colour

RC401    Dirty Black

RC402    Rust

RC403    Crimson Lake

RC404    Garter Blue

RC405    GWR or BR Green

RC406    Buffer Beam Red

RC407    BR Yellow

RC408    Apple Green

RC409    Malachite Green

RC410    Maunsell Green

RC411    Diesel Blue (BR)

RC412    BR Coach Roof Grey

RC413    Engineers Grey

RC414    Executive Dark Grey

RC415    Pullman Umber Brown

RC416    Pullman Cream

RC417    Coach Roof Off-White

RC418    EWS Red

RC419    EWS Yellow (more Gold’ish)

RC420    Orange Lining

RC421    Virgin Red

RC422    Intercity Grey

RC423* Carmine

RC423* BR Cream

‘*’  = Error on the Print so possibly RC424

APT-P Possible Colour usages are:

Rail Match equal to the New Humbrol RC (Rail Colours Range)

RC412 BR Coach Roof Grey

RC414 Executive Dark Grey (Window Frames...)

RC422 Pale Grey - Intercity Grey (Main Body...) 

RC407 BR Yellow

RC406 Red - Buffer Beam Red I guess... or the RC421 Virgin Red maybe

White Lines - None RC(Number) to Note

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I'm not going to get involved in advising manufacturers of colours for models but I'd suggest that Jamie's RC422 is more likely to be the grey of blue/grey than the lighter colour of APT vehicles.

I believe the APT colour should be Exec light grey?

Andi

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, big jim said:

Sorry I edited the post and added the extra photo which shows the strange formation that day with 2 powercars, seems to be 2 separate ‘halves’ of trains lashed together and it’s a lot longer than 7 cars 

Actually I think it’s just 8 in the lower photo it’s a 3 set, 4 set and ATP-U by the look of it. 

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

I'm not going to get involved in advising manufacturers of colours for models but I'd suggest that Jamie's RC422 is more likely to be the grey of blue/grey than the lighter colour of APT vehicles.

I believe the APT colour should be Exec light grey?

Andi

Hi Andi

That's brilliant news bud, leave that with you, I know your the man on these type of issues... thanks for the Information on Colours RC422, I thought it was best to list them all just in case lol

What about the Red Line then Andi...

RC406 Red - Buffer Beam Red 

or

RC421 Virgin Red 

....?

It is also good to know for those that do wish to re-paint in to the better colour, I was at a Telford show few years back and there was a Demo Stall which had the APT-P Coaches on there stand, and the colour's looked ten times better, and that's why I asked the question... I'd also like to see Hornby get the colour better on this next model more so after seeing the one at Telford for that very reason.  I was amazed just how much better it looked, but they were brass etched APT-P coaches to and looked superb and in the correct colour, sitting next to the Hornby version of the APT-P, you could see just how far out the colours were, when side by side.

Regards

Jamie

1 hour ago, big jim said:

Looks to be a 9 8 car set, 3, NDM, NDM, 4 3.

I reckon nearly every possible formation would have run at some stage.

Edited by royaloak
Cuz I cant count.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Looks to be a 9 car set, 3, NDM, NDM, 4.

I reckon nearly every possible formation would have run at some stage.

Not enough bogies for 9 it’s:- 3, 2 NDM’s, U and 2 nearest the camera as far as I can see. 
9AD54197-8F8B-49F7-A11C-350F547106CB.jpeg.d99b38acf45c7e549eb17abcf6c683ea.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Not enough bogies for 9 it’s:- 3, 2 NDM’s, U and 2 nearest the camera as far as I can see. 
9AD54197-8F8B-49F7-A11C-350F547106CB.jpeg.d99b38acf45c7e549eb17abcf6c683ea.jpeg

Yep, I was counting the non windowed bit of the rear coach as a separate DVT.:blush:

16 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

That's is true...

The best person may be Dagworth, as he may know what colours are more accurate for the New Model.

Regards

Jamie

Or Shane, Legomanbiffo, Kit... to name but a few.

Seriously, there is lots of knowledge out there if you look in the right place (and some very good research and modelling too)!

Guy

Edited by lyneux
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, lyneux said:

But are Hornby going to do the latest version of the APT-P just announced to run on the varsity line...? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-51312450

:D

Yes please! I live a few miles away & would love to see those running. Way better than old Underground stock which can't cope with summer pollen which runs on the existing section now.

At 41-42 years old, the 2 trains are of similar age but the APT still looks fantastic.

Hi All

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2020_01/image.png.473f841adb9c567d7ad313d9ac52d6b9.png

HELP NEEDED...

Just noticing looking at John ks (Chart Above Link), if the APT-P will not be Compatible with the Old 80's, which I'm guessing it will not be and quite right to...!

With the 5-Car (R3873) @£356 each and the 7-Car (R3874) @£437 each ... (Based off Hatton's Prices)

You will have to buy the a 5-Car or 7-Car sets at the Full Price, in order to get hold of the DTS, TBF as these are not available either as a Pack or Separately and i want at least One Full Fronted Set, the Rest in Black Fronted as all the other ADD-ON Packs or Singular Pack can be bought as a Twin Pack and/or Separately, whether that's a ATP-P Coach in the form of a... TS, TRBS, TU, TF, N-D M or the APT-U... you will be able to purchase but unless you have DTS and TBF from the 5-Car or 7-Car Sets, then I predict those are the APT-P Coaches that are going to be the most sort after APT Coaches by the masses and will be seen as the most prissy to buy on Auction web sites... (well that's what I am Predicting Hmmm) It's on that Basis I'm having to Buy at least One of the Yellow 5-Car sets and 2/3 of the 7-Car Sets.

I've been trying to see how... if at all, I can make it cheaper to buy using the ADD-ON Packs ONLY but seems I'm lost without Extra DTS and TBF Coaches, which can only be bought in the 5-Car Sets and/or the 7-Car Sets as I want the (3.5) 4 APT-P Rakes to replicate all that there ever was in REAL and also having to re-Number some or half to 370 005/006/007 in Black Fronted not to mention all the TU, TF, TS and TRBS coaches to re-Number. 

Do we know what was the total number of REAL APT-P Coaches were in Each of the APT-P Rake etc., that were ever made...? I presuming not all SIX SETS were 14-Car Rakes, (as can e seen in some photo of 8/12/14 Car Sets etc., and what Number APT-P became the Odd One Out of the 370 Numbers...?  E.g., 370001/002, 370003/004, 370005/6 & with 370007 would be one its own... or which one was the DTS Coach 001-007 was the DTS left out on it's own in the main...? I'm taking the One on its own, was to swap round as and when one had to be called in for maintenance etc,. Hope that makes sense.

Why can't Hornby Release the ADD-ON Twin Packs for the DTS Yellow Fronted and DTS Black Fronted and TBF Twin Pack then we would all be able to make our own Rakes using just the Twin ADD-ON Packs... If I have read what is available correctly and with what Pack will be released whether as a Train Set / ADD-ON / Singular Pack... As I prefer the Black Fronted but still want the Yellow Fronted, I can Only guess ONE 5-Car Set and THREE 7-Car Sets is the Cheaper options with several of the all the ADD-ON Packs... which also leaves me with One Extra Black Fronted TS Coach.

Train Sets Are:-

£356.00, R3873 = Class 370 APT 370003 & 370004 - 5-Car Pack

£437.00, R3874 = Class 370 APT 370001 & 370002 - 7-Car Pack (Includes One R3948 & One R3970)

Twin Packs Are:-

£81.00, R40011 = Class 370 APT 2-car TS trailer standard 48203 and 48204 in Intercity livery

£81.00, R40011A = Class 370 APT 2-car TS trailer standard 48201 and 48202 in Intercity livery 

£81.00, R40012 = Class 370 APT 2-car TRBS trailer restaurant/buffet second 48403 and 48404 in Intercity livery

£81.00, R40012A = Class 370 APT 2-car TRBS trailer restaurant/buffet second 48401 and 48402 in Intercity livery

£81.00, R40013 = Class 370 APT 2-car TU trailer unclassified 48303 and 48304 in Intercity liver

£81.00, R40013A = Class 370 APT 2-car TU trailer unclassified 48301 and 48302 in Intercity livery

£81.00, R40014 = Class 370 APT 2-car TF trailer first 48503 and 48504 in Intercity livery

£81.00, R40014A = Class 370 APT 2-car TF trailer first 48501 and 48502 in Intercity livery

Single Packs Are:-

£99.00, R3948 = Class 370 APT Non-Driving Motor 49004 (N-D M)

£36.00. R4970 = Class 370 APT-U ex-TS development vehicle Sc48204 / 977527 in Intercity livery (APT-U)

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7

• RMweb Gold

Jamie I got a bit lost in the detail of your post but I do understand that to buy what you want you will have vehicles left over.  There may be benefit in having some form of virtual "swapmeet" to exchange and or sell surplus vehicles.  I would certainly be interested in purchasing a non driving power car.

• Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Jamie I got a bit lost in the detail of your post but I do understand that to buy what you want you will have vehicles left over.  There may be benefit in having some form of virtual "swapmeet" to exchange and or sell surplus vehicles.  I would certainly be interested in purchasing a non driving power car.

Hi Colin

I have tried Editing it to try and explain it better, I hope it does...? And Yes, If I do come to ever sell ones off due to buy more than I need, then it as been noted and you are on my list to ask first, Colin.

Regards

Jamie

• Thanks 1

Jamie 

if I understand you correctly you want a model of every APT-P vehicle that existed

According to Wikipedia  there were 6 half sets, 6 N-DMs & as spares 1 DTS & 1 TBF numbered 48107 & 48607

Number matching sets                     (IIRC nose colour information is from a previous poster who asked Hornby)

Half set 370 001 &  half set 370 002 can be made with 7 car pack & 4 coach packs R400**A (1 APT-U spare ) (black nose)

Half set 370 003 &  half set 370 004 can be made with 5 car pack & 4 coach packs R400**   & R3948 N-D M (yellow nose)

The following set will require renumbering

Half set 370 005 &  half set 370 006 can be made with 7 car pack & 4 coach packs R400**A (1 APT-U spare) (black nose)

That leaves  DTS & TBF numbered 48107 & 48607 (black nose)

The only way I know to get these is from a 7 car set which leaves a DTS,TBF,2 N-D M & an APT-P left over (you could renumber 1 of the N-D M instead of buying R3948 for half sets 370 003 & 4)

hope this helps

John

• Informative/Useful 1