Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John ks said:

7APT7

Sorry to do this but after all your hard work tracking down which coach numbers are in each set, it seems you missed one

This pic is  from Hornby's site

It shows 370 007 leading a train with 6 coaches, at least 1NDM & who knows?

Also the colour under the nose looks to be the same white as the stripe between the red & dark grey

577778798_370007.jpg.748674be84289e01eb6d9db409d8f1c3.jpg

John

That looks very like a 6+2+2 formation from the unadvertised public service phase in 1984.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi Mel_H

Thanks for the insight Mel_H... I'd be interested to see what did actually run over those years, if the book is indeed incorrect... and the running numbers within each rake, while we can name some 14-Car Sets and every running number on a particulate rakes from certain published information. What about the running numbers of the other Sets...?

What numbers were the other APT-P Rakes and there running numbers... I'd be interested to know more, if you can... I understand some APT Coaches may have been swapped around fairly regularly or remains out of service while maintenance etc gets carried out or even internally modified, to get the Tilt mechanism correct etc,.

Regards

Jamie

I suspect that others on this thread will have information, or can provide it. From this collective a list of specific sets and dates seen could be compiled. 

22 hours ago, John ks said:

7APT7

Sorry to do this but after all your hard work tracking down which coach numbers are in each set, it seems you missed one

This pic is  from Hornby's site

It shows 370 007 leading a train with 6 coaches, at least 1NDM & who knows?

Hi John, unsure of the point you are trying to make to be honest with you mate.

But, Thank You for your comment and input. The information about 370 007 is what is in the book (All 3 Books in fact, although these are wrong according to another post) as you can see from what I uploaded in above posts (370 007 which were built as a Spare DTS 48107, as was TBF 48607) the fact that they have used it probably more often out of all other Numbers, along with 370 005 or 006 on the rear for the most part, in photo's that state the rear Car-Numbers in some photo's.

The fact that the Rakes I have put together in MY last post, I was merely trying to make a full rake of 14-cars (Just like Hornby have done) but I have tried to involve the book information along with the running numbers Hornby are releasing.  Hornby may have showed that photo of "370 007 leading a train with 6 coaches, at least 1NDM & who knows?" (as you say) and may have released numbers that are possibly not in that rake in that Photo you refer to 370 007 etc,.... who know's.... as you have rightfully said.

Personally, I am only interested in running a 14-Car sets as I know from that, all other possibilities will be possible and preferably what ran Prototypical, or at least try to run what is Prototypical.  If I knew the numbers 6+2+2 formation, I would amend my list accordingly to include those formations to, even though Hornby only seem to put together the two 14-Car sets just like I have done (Which is why I am confused in what point are you trying to make)  I have copied suit by using what is in the three books, along with what Hornby's 5 and 7 car sets are and which Hornby Twin Pack you need to have  to enable a 14-car rake, and I was showing that based on Hornby;s Information and the nearest to a Prototypical rake you can run/use on your layout.  If Hornby released the formation Pack you need to run a 6+2+2 formation, or I got the information from... a dare say it, a book, then I would have done the same thing, so I could add those accordingly to the List in the Last Post... I can see it as annoyed you in some way but how, and why, is not clear to me at all, therefore I will not upload any future book or books information, or state from any book or book as they appear to be incorrect, by a another post. I do apologies for the distress it as had on you.

22 hours ago, John ks said:

Also the colour under the nose looks to be the same white as the stripe between the red & dark grey

I don't quite understand where your last part of your comment comes into the equation that you have raised, with regards to the Colour white...! and the colour under the nose looks to be the same white as the stripe between the red & dark grey... (as you have said)

You have thrown me altogether on this one John... but as you have raised it... I have uploaded 4 photos for you, Have I got it wrong..., (and I, also see the same Colour in the Post above, taken off Hornby's Website Photo aka 370 007)

Firstly... I see the colour under the nose as the exact same colour as I see on the side profile on the bottom half of the APT-P where the Bogies are and up to the Red Line where you see the Running Number 48103 within the Red Line itself. 

Secondly... so you are saying... the part under the RED, you are saying, is WHITE below the RED Line, and the same WHITE in colour, as the WHITE LINE seen above the RED LINE, which continues up and over the Cab roof and Dark Grey in the Top Half which comes down to join the WHITE LINE...?

If I am wrong then, I stand corrected and apologises for my mistake and Mistakes in advance of, but I beg to differ John, and I would be interested in what other people see in the attached photos, I would say that it maybe cleaner part of the APT-P or it's brighter due to the way the sunshine is hitting it, but it's still by no mean WHITE, and the same WHITE as the WHITE LINE.  Photos, don't lye but apparently book do, ....

Is this a case of... 

do you see the Sea as Green, OR do you see the Sea as Blue... or maybe...

That famous dress colour in the press/news a few years ago, do you see White and Gold OR Blue and Black Dress...

376635095_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(291)RMWeb1.JPG.c728a4f42ca1b045a2ecdf9501197db7.JPG

1202188042_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(22)Mod1.jpg.038614192f9846d8ff1207c3bf529a0b.jpg

780382100_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(306)RMWeb1.JPG.0e18e85a8ad48bac8a089c59d2ae767e.JPG

854400783_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(18)Mod1.jpg.df09579b44497807966a85657939b5fa.jpg

1228353410_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(339)Mod1.jpg.ec313bb043d182aa6ff739bbebf87ee5.jpg

429614143_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(282)Mod1.jpg.fd28e18ea98e6242e8dca78fdd071bc4.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi John, unsure of the point you are trying to make to be honest with you mate.

But, Thank You for your comment and input. The information about 370 007 is what is in the book (All 3 Books in fact, although these are wrong according to another post) as you can see from what I uploaded in above posts (370 007 which were built as a Spare DTS 48107, as was TBF 48607) the fact that they have used it probably more often out of all other Numbers, along with 370 005 or 006 on the rear for the most part, in photo's that state the rear Car-Numbers in some photo's.

The fact that the Rakes I have put together in MY last post, I was merely trying to make a full rake of 14-cars (Just like Hornby have done) but I have tried to involve the book information along with the running numbers Hornby are releasing.  Hornby may have showed that photo of "370 007 leading a train with 6 coaches, at least 1NDM & who knows?" (as you say) and may have released numbers that are possibly not in that rake in that Photo you refer to 370 007 etc,.... who know's.... as you have rightfully said.

Personally, I am only interested in running a 14-Car sets as I know from that, all other possibilities will be possible and preferably what ran Prototypical, or at least try to run what is Prototypical.  If I knew the numbers 6+2+2 formation, I would amend my list accordingly to include those formations to, even though Hornby only seem to put together the two 14-Car sets just like I have done (Which is why I am confused in what point are you trying to make)  I have copied suit by using what is in the three books, along with what Hornby's 5 and 7 car sets are and which Hornby Twin Pack you need to have  to enable a 14-car rake, and I was showing that based on Hornby;s Information and the nearest to a Prototypical rake you can run/use on your layout.  If Hornby released the formation Pack you need to run a 6+2+2 formation, or I got the information from... a dare say it, a book, then I would have done the same thing, so I could add those accordingly to the List in the Last Post... I can see it as annoyed you in some way but how, and why, is not clear to me at all, therefore I will not upload any future book or books information, or state from any book or book as they appear to be incorrect, by a another post. I do apologies for the distress it as had on you.

I don't quite understand where your last part of your comment comes into the equation that you have raised, with regards to the Colour white...! and the colour under the nose looks to be the same white as the stripe between the red & dark grey... (as you have said)

You have thrown me altogether on this one John... but as you have raised it... I have uploaded 4 photos for you, Have I got it wrong..., (and I, also see the same Colour in the Post above, taken off Hornby's Website Photo aka 370 007)

Firstly... I see the colour under the nose as the exact same colour as I see on the side profile on the bottom half of the APT-P where the Bogies are and up to the Red Line where you see the Running Number 48103 within the Red Line itself. 

Secondly... so you are saying... the part under the RED, you are saying, is WHITE below the RED Line, and the same WHITE in colour, as the WHITE LINE seen above the RED LINE, which continues up and over the Cab roof and Dark Grey in the Top Half which comes down to join the WHITE LINE...?

If I am wrong then, I stand corrected and apologises for my mistake and Mistakes in advance of, but I beg to differ John, and I would be interested in what other people see in the attached photos, I would say that it maybe cleaner part of the APT-P or it's brighter due to the way the sunshine is hitting it, but it's still by no mean WHITE, and the same WHITE as the WHITE LINE.  Photos, don't lye but apparently book do, ....

Is this a case of... 

do you see the Sea as Green, OR do you see the Sea as Blue... or maybe...

That famous dress colour in the press/news a few years ago, do you see White and Gold OR Blue and Black Dress...

376635095_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(291)RMWeb1.JPG.c728a4f42ca1b045a2ecdf9501197db7.JPG

1202188042_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(22)Mod1.jpg.038614192f9846d8ff1207c3bf529a0b.jpg

780382100_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(306)RMWeb1.JPG.0e18e85a8ad48bac8a089c59d2ae767e.JPG

854400783_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(18)Mod1.jpg.df09579b44497807966a85657939b5fa.jpg

1228353410_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(339)Mod1.jpg.ec313bb043d182aa6ff739bbebf87ee5.jpg

429614143_APT-PCreweHeritageCentre(282)Mod1.jpg.fd28e18ea98e6242e8dca78fdd071bc4.jpg

Regards

Jamie

Cracking photos and useful tables! I’d stop worrying about what others think and enjoy the information you have compiled from research. I’ve looked at the data and decided  the simplest thing to do is buy both packs and all the coaches, then I can mix/match as I fancy! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Jamie

Regarding the colour change on 370 007 I added that to highlight differences in livery from one unit to another, the pic should explain what I see.

The set from Crewe looks to have the same colour below the red line & it wraps around the nose & has a fine red line wrapping around the nose

I hope you don't mind using your photo from Crewe 

There is a slight possibility that I might be in that photo, I was the only Aussie there on that fateful day arranged by he who shall not be named

1955929559_370007cc.jpg.a2a3d2a3b9d299b502fdde0857e58572.jpg

On 21/02/2020 at 15:59, John ks said:

I apologise if this statement came across as a bit harsh, it was not my intention.

3 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

therefore I will not upload any future book or books information, or state from any book or book as they appear to be incorrect, by a another post. I do apologies for the distress it as had on you.

Please continue to upload any information you feel is relevant

John 

• Like 2

Does anyone have any photos of 003 actually running on the mainline with the front end painted as per the photo of it above in the Crewe Heritage Centre?  It may be how it's been painted when there, and may not be as it was when in service.

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

Does anyone have any photos of 003 actually running on the mainline with the front end painted as per the photo of it above in the Crewe Heritage Centre?

Hi Dixie Dean

Hope these will help you, help, found these on Internet and not my own contents. The British Rail (2nd Photo) seems to be an advert of some kind by BR themselves. All should be 370 003. 

370003_Carlisle_1.jpg.9061ead2bc99878cec2c2f85f1d5c1f3.jpg

931407968_APT-P370003onthefrontcoverofaBRpromotionalbrochurefromthemid1980s.jpg.a94ec05ad90c503772095220acf2d65e.jpg

364432781_APT-P370003YellowEnds1.jpg.6fc1f60a3bb479d05066afd04cf08480.jpg

1201219811_APT-PAnothershotof370003fromthebrochure.jpg.f11912e8c42eb60102f45e70bbe5df01.jpg

And an Un-Numbered, although it would be interesting to see what the 481## is on the side which as the number.

1236944216_APT-PClass370NoNumber1.jpg.bda7088ecf5763fe8b4cd9711334ee98.jpg

Jamie

2 hours ago, John ks said:

Jamie

Regarding the colour change on 370 007 I added that to highlight differences in livery from one unit to another, the pic should explain what I see.

The set from Crewe looks to have the same colour below the red line & it wraps around the nose & has a fine red line wrapping around the nose

I hope you don't mind using your photo from Crewe 

There is a slight possibility that I might be in that photo, I was the only Aussie there on that fateful day arranged by he who shall not be named

1955929559_370007cc.jpg.a2a3d2a3b9d299b502fdde0857e58572.jpg

I apologise if this statement came across as a bit harsh, it was not my intention.

Please continue to upload any information you feel is relevant

John 

Hi John...

whatever you say mate... let's move on hey...

The Blue... I still say, that's the way the light is reflecting on that part of the APT as there is a very slight curve at that point as it comes down to the Nose Front, but is diffidently not Pure White like we see on the White Line. Evan if you were to walk past the train on the station you wouldn't really notice the change, how it been pointed out from a far and photos, taken from a distance, it's the way the Camera captures the light, so it look different, the same is true on the Virgin Pendolino, the Red reflex different shades of Red as the front of the cab rounds off, but it's still the same Virgin Red. I think the Curve can be seen slightly on the photo I uploaded with the Nose Cone lifted up to reveal the Buffer Beam, etc... is very slight but its there.

The Green... I really can't answer, (Apart from see Blue, above) but again I still think it is due to the slight curve on the body, and the way light reflex differently due to the slight angle of the bodywork, as to how it impacts on how we see it... interesting as 370 007 is fairly dirty, it's noticeable the main dirt starts at the bogies, at high speed the only moving parts to throw up any sort dirt are the wheels so it logical that dirt as an impact on where the bulk of the dirt would build up the most, around the bogies.... but hey what do I know.

Black... hey what do I know... we have spoke about this earlier in the Thread a few pages back. I don't think this was ansered as I didn't know the answer either. I would however... like to know what the time period of these different Logo types were added or changed and in which order came first, unless it was some kind of Livery Test Trial as to improvements to which Logo looked best as it was a whole new livery for BR InterCity... but like I said... what do I know.

If the Cap Fits, then wear it, as the saying goes...

According to some on here, with barely a sentence in length on both comments, is just unwanted negativity, but apparently we all should know the answers on this thread according to them, do people not just take a second to think what they write and the impact that can have, rather than ensuring positive comments on here along with respect for others, when it's on someone else's genuine comment for answers, if you are not prepared to answer a question, by leaving it to others on this thread as an answer, is sickening and just shouts out Troll and keyboard warrior to me... why comment at all, if you have nothing constructive to say towards any thread, in order to help and to improve the knowledge of others and while at the same time expanding someone else's knowledge for the better. This is exactly how trolls do start by getting away with the odd single sentence here and there throughout the RMWeb, when commenting negatively on other peoples comments... it's unwanted, uncalled for, and unnecessary, and an inconvenience to everyone having to read and having to put up with it, towards those who have asked a genuine question.... I ask myself, really... 

If you are going to come on here, then respect other peoples opinions, (Yes, we all have them, I'm quite aware of that) if you can't answer a question or not even be prepared to answer anywhere close to it with a positive thought going forward on the question raised, then don't leave a Post at all, leave it to those that do know the answers, or have the balls to say... I don't know that answer, sadly... It's a far better answer than that is what I would do, and what do I know...

I stopped coming on the RMWeb a few years ago due to the constant negativity and unwanted comments by the few, or I came on very rarely. I know there are some decent people on here, I've met a fair few of them over my time. I come on here to gain knowledge or to help other to gain knowledge. we see enough negative stuff in the news everyday as it is, the last place should be on the love for the railways and Modelling.

Rant over...

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The Truth is, none of us really ever know just how much someone else is hurting on the inside.  We could be standing right beside someone who is completely damaged and broken and we have no idea, whatsoever... Always BE Nice, Be Kind.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Interesting to note (thanks to Dixie Dean for asking for the 370 003 photo's)

I just noticed on the Photo's of 370 003 above, did anyone spot the 481## numbers on the side, some are at the front near the Cab end, whilst others are near the other end towards the back of the coach...

I wonder how many APT-P's had that format, was this another change to get the look right in some way...

Jamie

30 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

I stopped coming on the RMWeb a few years ago due to the constant negativity and unwanted comments by the few, or I came on very rarely. 

Glad you're still here and making a very positive contribution!

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

The British Rail (2nd Photo) seems to be an advert of some kind by BR themselves.

931407968_APT-P370003onthefrontcoverofaBRpromotionalbrochurefromthemid1980s.jpg.a94ec05ad90c503772095220acf2d65e.jpg

This was a small A5 booklet on the APT, I have one somewhere but can’t find it at present. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi

The Ex-TS No. 48204 Twin Bogie Coach aka MKIV (What would have been) and can also be seen in the bottom photo next to the NMD Centre Power car from when I last saw and spoke with Kit aka Mr APT at Crewe, his knowledge is beyond all compare... 

Hornby R4970 Ex-TS No. 48204 / 977527 Twin Bogies

image.png.8f79b52f7ff6155cdfc3bf626e4aec63.png

image.png.18790b6e78742c2474c5a26e8ee96cb5.png

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi John Ks

If you look at the cab roof in the photo you can see that the front end of it is reasonably clean where as further back it is quite dirty with a fairly pronounced looking tide mark (see black arrow in the left hand Image) If this tide mark is projected down the side of the cab it joins up with the border between the grey and the white that you identified (see dotted line in the right hand Image). Pure speculation this, but perhaps it is just that they only bothered regulary washing the very front of the Train (i.e. wIndscreen, quarter glasses, headlights etc), with the result that, in this view at least, the nose is a different colour?

Regards

image.png.b30ba266329ebec68d412f98aa3ecd63.png

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 7APT7 said:

370 003 & 370 006 as seen at crewe

image.png.c3b24880003f144a48a71d96791f8afd.png

Jamie

I'm not sure whether I pity Hornby  or not, Basically what ever colours and linings they paint it the model, it will be both right and wrong until it is observed and compared to a particular photo. It's quantum  modelling. I think they should call it the Schrõdinger edition. The packaging should be a sealed black box.

• Funny 5

image.png.8bfed5a814bc11387c085d7a168c7323.png

7 hours ago, guarded said:

Damn,it looks sad in this photo-it actually looks sad!!

Yes, guarded...

With those rain run marks, (it's as if her Mascara is running...lol) which gives the impression, it cries every time a Pendolino passes, as if to say...

I WAS ONCE YOU AT ONE POINT IN MY LIFE, IT WAS ME THAT PUT YOU WHERE YOU ARE TODAY... 

I wonder every time the Pendolino passes the APT, it says...,

CAN ALL PENDOLINO CARRIAGES, SHOW THERE APPRECIATION AS WE PASS SIR APT, IN MEMORY OFF & IN TRIBUTE OF WINNING THE TILT WAR...

haha... lol

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1