Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

i do wonder if Hornby ever planned on making a railroad variant using the new tooling since they did the same for the railway and railroad P2s with the same tooling just with some details and livery simplified for the railroad and sets

The old toolings were damaged beyond repair I believe. 

• RMweb Premium

I think Hornby abandoned their attempts to make models for both the main range and Railroad range. The results tended to be excellent Railroad models for those looking for something a bit cheaper but main range models that weren't good enough for the price. That said, the concept can work, as shown by Scaletrains in the North American market. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Come across this post looked on page 22 here and wonder if anyone noticed a production change on the nose in the side by side livery comparison 370007 and 370003. The vents on the front below the window on 370003 are different, on 370007 they are plated over and you can see rivets around it Were any others like that?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, hallmodelspares said:

Were any others like that?

370007 was unique in that respect, and that difference has been accounted for in the tooling...

• Like 1

Hi All,

Observation of the day...,

In the May 2020 edition of a Rail Express magazine there is an image on page 79 showing an shortened APT set attending the 150th celebration event of the Rainhill trials. 
What struck me was the Class 56 to the right of the picture that propelled the set.
It’s height appears quite a bit taller than the APT.

Neve realised this before.

Not an issue, just an observation.

PS - This scenario could also be replicated with Hornby products once the APT becomes available.

Stay Safe people.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

4 hours ago, guarded said:

Ive just realised the Rainhill celebrations were 40 years ago this month,where does the time go.

Now I feel old.

That also means in 10 years years it will be the bi centennial celebration.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Did the APT-P have a Brecknell-Willis or Stone-Faiveley pantograph? Or a different one altogether?

Originally a custom designed multi-stage pantograph which wasn't entirely successful, later fitted with a Brecknell-Willis High Speed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1980's Rocket 150 was more about the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester in 1830; there had been a 'Trials' event in 1979 for which replicas were built. Of course APT was there, one nose-end up, hauled by a Class 56 (one of the first with the revised and simplified cabs).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

1980's Rocket 150 was more about the opening of the Liverpool & Manchester in 1830; there had been a 'Trials' event in 1979 for which replicas were built. Of course APT was there, one nose-end up, hauled by a Class 56 (one of the first with the revised and simplified cabs).

not to mention a 40 with a BOC tanker, and a diesel ban busting self propelled Western.... it would be 8 more years before a western applied power on the mainline.. shoving an errant 33 at Winchfield 150 in similar controlled conditions.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, johny retro said:

I wonder if every coach will tilt, as the NDM's didn't in real life and that will solve the issue of Hornby coming up with some way of keeping the pantographs upright on corners.

I'm not sure you are correct.  The pantograph was mounted on a contraption that effectively made it stay correctly positioned in relation to the catenary whilst the body tilted around it.  You can see in this photo that the whole of the visible train appears to be tilting:

image.png.df9fe134916855f5d7a698fa844051c7.png

Edited by Dixie Dean
add image

44 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

I'm not sure you are correct.  The pantograph was mounted on a contraption that effectively made it stay correctly positioned in relation to the catenary whilst the body tilted around it.  You can see in this photo that the whole of the visible train appears to be tilting:

image.png.df9fe134916855f5d7a698fa844051c7.png

I believe that the NDMs did originally tilt, but this was later disabled to reduce complexity & because tilting was only ever required for passenger comfort.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, Dixie Dean said:

This is a diagram of a Fiat tilting train which was based on the APT after Fiat bought the patents from BR Engineering: 

Fiat developed their original Pendolino at the same time BR developed the APT. The modern Pendolino may have traces of both but Fiat did not simply buy the patents & develop it from there.

The class 221 Super Voyager traces it origins back to the APT but the class 390 Pendolino uses the Fiat system, leaving the WCML with 2 different tilting systems in use.

1 minute ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Fiat developed their original Pendolino at the same time BR developed the APT. The modern Pendolino may have traces of both but Fiat did not simply buy the patents & develop it from there.

The class 221 Super Voyager traces it origins back to the APT but the class 390 Pendolino uses the Fiat system, leaving the WCML with 2 different tilting systems in use.

I must admit not to having the knowledge personally, but a number of websites including Wikipedia state that: ... the patents for the APT's tilt system were sold to Fiat Ferroviaria ...  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Do the voyagers still tilt ?

i thought they’d given up on that ?

A case of twice fail ?

The Cross Country Super Voyagers had their Tilt disabled as it was expensive to maintain and had no benefit on the services they are used on.