Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

21 hours ago, charliepetty said:

We are currently updating our ESU Project to V5 Standards for this model, it will have Door Lights Enabled and Cab light with Autofade but I have a feeling that this model will be standard Hornby with little thoughts given to the DCC Features that 'Could' be achieved sadly.  I hope I am wrong.

Looking forward to it. Thatl be a good addition.

yeah thats the issues i have with Hornby that i was getting at, they are so behind the times with digital capability! 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Sorry, but so far you seem to be the only one constantly moaning about it.

Indeed I understand any opinion which lacks standardisation and is not following herd mentality could be seen as moaning. Having differing opinions could equally with an alternative mindset be seen as healthy. I recall back in the early 2000’s many ‘glowing’ reviews of the original Bachmann 37 with incorrect tumblehome and if you was brave enough to raise this issue in a forum you were sentenced to receive sharp and direct comments by the herd of the day. A definition of a forum and its purpose is detailed below:

"meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.”

It should be expected that views might not always be the same and perhaps in some circles that would be considered healthy....  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I hadn’t seen this before. I like the way Simon was put on the spot regarding 8-pin decoders and I also liked his response. Obviously, he can’t tell us what Hornby is going to do but I’m encouraged by what he said.

Yes, he leaves a little to the imagination but my interpretation of it is they don't want to go down the 21 pin route then 18 becomes the new standard.

I have seen people comment that 21 pin is also a little outdated & 18 is the way forward, but British RTR models don't seem to be following this very quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2020 at 05:57, MGR Hooper! said:

Looks curved to me....

1.jpg.b0a0646e1a4776ce76b1f330e6e60c94.jpg

2.jpg.1e6040896d8326d4864abe398a88eab9.jpg

Just needs yellow ends and grey along the window line.

Never thought of an APT in blue grey but reckon it would look good.

I know it never was blue/grey before anyone points it out, but its an interesting one for “what if”.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, cs233 said:

Indeed I understand any opinion which lacks standardisation and is not following herd mentality could be seen as moaning. Having differing opinions could equally with an alternative mindset be seen as healthy.

But you’re moaning about stuff they explain is still being worked on in the videos ;)  The gaps were explained as tolerances still being refined. The liveries issue has also been explained why by Paul who was working on it until recently. All we are saying is be patient as they aren’t at that stage yet and that is the completely normal process. 
The 37 reference is a bit off as there are no apparent shape issues as demonstrated by the screenshot of the side window also raised. The join line in the body side is understood by those with experience in plastic moulding as the only way to do it in mass production. If you have concerns about something write direct to Hornby like I did about the powercar and got a polite response explaining what they needed to do at the evaluation stage, much better than just ‘moaning’ on here. 

• Agree 5

10 hours ago, cs233 said:

Indeed I understand any opinion which lacks standardisation and is not following herd mentality could be seen as moaning. Having differing opinions could equally with an alternative mindset be seen as healthy. I recall back in the early 2000’s many ‘glowing’ reviews of the original Bachmann 37 with incorrect tumblehome and if you was brave enough to raise this issue in a forum you were sentenced to receive sharp and direct comments by the herd of the day. A definition of a forum and its purpose is detailed below:

"meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.”

It should be expected that views might not always be the same and perhaps in some circles that would be considered healthy....  

By "Herd mentality", you mean listening to Hornby tell us they still have work to do on the body & understanding from this that they will be making changes?

Understanding that they need to resolve a few issues also allows us to understand why models take so long to reach the market.

If there is something you feel they may have missed, then an email to Simon Kohler would be a more productive way to address it than quibble about it on here. Judging from his responses in the videos, he likes to reply to all sensible queries & suggestions where possible.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Yes, he leaves a little to the imagination but my interpretation of it is they don't want to go down the 21 pin route then 18 becomes the new standard.

I have seen people comment that 21 pin is also a little outdated & 18 is the way forward, but British RTR models don't seem to be following this very quickly.

21 pin works perfectly well and is fine for models which have the space for it. Next18 is much more compact, which is a boon for smaller locomotives. If Hornby is going to stop dragging its heels and update, it would make sense to me to standardise on Next18. I recall that when DCC was first introduced, Hornby was very quick to adapt any of its models which could accommodate an 8-pin socket (and a few which could accommodate the socket but not the decoder :O). Let’s hope that when the decision is made, it is implemented quickly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2020 at 08:54, No Decorum said:

21 pin works perfectly well and is fine for models which have the space for it. Next18 is much more compact, which is a boon for smaller locomotives. If Hornby is going to stop dragging its heels and update, it would make sense to me to standardise on Next18. I recall that when DCC was first introduced, Hornby was very quick to adapt any of its models which could accommodate an 8-pin socket (and a few which could accommodate the socket but not the decoder :O). Let’s hope that when the decision is made, it is implemented quickly.

I hope that they don't standardise on Next18. Attaching wires to a Next18 decoder when the functionality is not available as an output pin is a PITA. At least with 21 pin the decoders are generally a bit bigger and you consequently have a more sizeable pad to solder to. Further, where the output is on a pin but not used by the PCB, you can often attach a wire to the socket solder mounts itself if you are careful, little hope of that on Next18.

Roy

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, hellotojasonisaacs said:

what was the function of RDB977527?

If the RD in the number stands for Research Department then that should be a bit of a give away

If i understand correctly it was used as a research vehicle as part of the development of the MK4 coach

The mark 4 coach was going to be tilt-able. There was provision between the floor & the bogie for a tilt mechanism to be retrofitted 

I Believe all the above to be correct but if i have made any errors then i am sure someone will correct me

John

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, John ks said:

If the RD in the number stands for Research Department then that should be a bit of a give away

If i understand correctly it was used as a research vehicle as part of the development of the MK4 coach

The mark 4 coach was going to be tilt-able. There was provision between the floor & the bogie for a tilt mechanism to be retrofitted 

I Believe all the above to be correct but if i have made any errors then i am sure someone will correct me

John

Hopefully they correctly replicate the fact that it didn’t tilt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2020 at 17:24, hellotojasonisaacs said:

To deviate away from DCC, but staying on the topic of APTs, what was the function of RDB977527? Has there been any info on what form this vehicle will take in model form? 

Hi,

You ask what form it will take?  It is a standalone coach and the original bogies were modified to non-articulated when the coach was taken into the Research Department.  I presume this will also be the case with the model, as articulated ones could look rather odd protruding from the main body!

Cheers,

Ixion.

On 07/12/2020 at 03:24, hellotojasonisaacs said:

To deviate away from DCC, but staying on the topic of APTs, what was the function of RDB977527? Has there been any info on what form this vehicle will take in model form? 

Apologies in advance for potential repetition.

The following posts include pictures of the RDB977527

On 07/01/2020 at 05:22, Chris Chewter said:

Do you mean a bit like this?

APT 370001 at Lancaster 17th July 84'

On 23/01/2020 at 08:49, 7APT7 said:

For those who are questioning the Hornby R4970, BR, InterCity APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204 / 977527 - Era 7

The APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project, (the Next Mark [MK] of Coach) Test Prototype Coach although it was NOT a Tilting Coach, I believe.

But it goes to show just how far ahead of  its time the APT-P was, including the next generation of coaches in the pipeline, when you consider MK5 have only just come out in the last what... 18 months 2-years or so... A true marvel of engineering at its very best.

post-5212-0-69396300-1527977645_thumb.jpg

This should be in your Rake, even if its just the only spare coach you have, then this coach should be the extra APT Coach to buy for £39.99

Regards

Jamie

On 23/02/2020 at 12:38, 7APT7 said:

Hi

The Ex-TS No. 48204 Twin Bogie Coach aka MKIV (What would have been) and can also be seen in the bottom photo next to the NMD Centre Power car from when I last saw and spoke with Kit aka Mr APT at Crewe, his knowledge is beyond all compare... 

Hornby R4970 Ex-TS No. 48204 / 977527 Twin Bogies

image.png.8f79b52f7ff6155cdfc3bf626e4aec63.png

image.png.18790b6e78742c2474c5a26e8ee96cb5.png

Jamie

John

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, InterCity80s said:

I got my paper copy of the 2021 Hornby catalogue through the post today and there is no mention of the APT in it anywhere. Doesn't look like Hornby are intending it be part of the range for very long once it finally arrives in July.

It was and still is part of the 2020 range. And it was advertises as part of it. 

No additional APT-P sets were announces for 2021. So that's probably why it hasn't been advertised. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, InterCity80s said:

Yeah, just seemed a bit weird as they're not due out until H2 2021 :)

My best guess would be.... 

They already have a large production run and therefore aren't advertising it anymore until a further batch is announced in 2022 or later. 

It would seem rather silly to invest heavily in the tooling for an APT-P and then only have one run. 

But who knows... I am just guessing here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

In the last few days whilst putting the Xmas tree back in the loft I pulled out both the Hornby HST and APT sets that were bought as presents by my parents when they both first released by Hornby.

The APT hasn't been run for well over twenty years but is now running with decoders fitted. This came from Beatties in Liverpool whilst visiting relatives. The box still has the price tag in it.

20210107_154207-picsay.jpg.2f50f7048d662ce88cfffa38f2f4cbe6.jpg

Will be interesting to compare this old model against the new one.

The decoders in the cabs are old two digit address ones which is fine as this unit is numbered 1.

20210106_120133-picsay.jpg

20210107_142221-picsay.jpg

20210105_152121-picsay.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I also noticed the apt isn’t in the new catalogue but items from the 2020 range still awaited are. It may have been omitted due to space but I seem to remember other manufacturers probably including Hornby don’t include some items which are awaited if the production run is sold out (or near to selling out) to avoid disappointment which if that is the case with the apt it’s very promising.

Or I could be talking rubbish as usual!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/collections/apt?encoded=nY0xDsIwEAR_444iaUxjofwgBV0UnS62SU4Yn3W-FP49QREPgGql0c7uLWFeR9TNbSx5aZf9aR6UNEqdXpgDKkuDk8DS5qkIh90reE4peiXOQESzG8b7r-JfEnzPCq4RKLjOWmsqix6CuxqJniVUKMfCp-K63pz5Bg

I haven't received my catalogue yet! so apologies if this has already been mentioned! 

Couldn't sleep so had a look on Hornby's website wow love the new rebrand layout etc don't worry the 1997 logo is still in use ! finally  Finally a even bigger WOW on the at the above page on the APT-P Collection page!  hopefully this months engine shed will reveal more a first look at  what appears to be a decorated sample of Sets 370 003 and 370 004, the 5-car pack Yellow ends! ("wow I could cry I'm not ashamed to mention" that bit! it looks absolutely beautiful! the details the livery, the joins appear to have gone as Simon mentioned they will as we all knew anyway! the livery looks absolutely stunning! well all of it does well! I'll stop there haha)  

Edited by RyanN91
in the excitement I forgot to add the link! missed information out
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Here is a screenshot incase the page goes down. 

ZomboDroid 22012021054917.jpg

It looks amazing. I totally regret not buying a 5-car set i.e. the one depicted in the post above.

NOTE: It isn't a painted EP sample, it is in fact a CGI rendered image using the CAD work as a basis and either the CAD software or Photoshop to apply the livery. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/collections/apt?encoded=nY0xDsIwEAR_444iaUxjofwgBV0UnS62SU4Yn3W-FP49QREPgGql0c7uLWFeR9TNbSx5aZf9aR6UNEqdXpgDKkuDk8DS5qkIh90reE4peiXOQESzG8b7r-JfEnzPCq4RKLjOWmsqix6CuxqJniVUKMfCp-K63pz5Bg

I haven't received my catalogue yet! so apologies if this has already been mentioned! 

Couldn't sleep so had a look on Hornby's website wow love the new rebrand layout etc don't worry the 1997 logo is still in use ! finally  Finally a even bigger WOW on the at the above page on the APT-P Collection page!  hopefully this months engine shed will reveal more a first look at  what appears to be a decorated sample of Sets 370 003 and 370 004, the 5-car pack Yellow ends! ("wow I could cry I'm not ashamed to mention" that bit! it looks absolutely beautiful! the details the livery, the joins appear to have gone as Simon mentioned they will as we all knew anyway! the livery looks absolutely stunning! well all of it does well! I'll stop there haha)  

I think that maybe a render of the model with its livery rather than the actual thing. It looks a little too perfect and uniform. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It looks amazing. I totally regret not buying a 5-car set i.e. the one depicted in the post above.

NOTE: It isn't a painted EP sample, it is in fact a CGI rendered image using the CAD work as a basis and either the CAD software or Photoshop to apply the livery. 

Yes looking at it again you can see it is an CGI rendered image the windows give that away amongst other things. It just goes to show how far advanced CGI has now come since around ten years ago. 

• Agree 1