Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I’ve sent a email to Hornby again to ask the question about if motorising the second NDM in the R3874 set is necessary for a full 14 coach set as they replied they wouldn’t know until they tested it last time. Hopefully according to the auto reply there will be a response in a week or so. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still has a few things wrong with it mainly the cabside window frames are missing and the front windscreen frame looks strange, the lights on the front look wrong and also the drivers desk should be blue not read, I really hope they put the cabside window frames on the tooling.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Piranha750 said:

The black of the mask should also extend onto the lift off nose part too.

Have you emailed Hornby about it though? Don’t assume they will read every post ;) 

customerservices.uk@Hornby.com

They say a few things left to do in the text but worth alerting them to the paint issues, the tooling is highly likely to be signed off already and the lights look to be just not installed right as this is a paint sample. 
062C78A5-C13A-4814-91F8-F62478161955.jpeg.ae44277f4b849d6e598a521251b21bed.jpeg

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Piranha750 said:

Still has a few things wrong with it mainly the cabside window frames are missing and the front windscreen frame looks strange, the lights on the front look wrong and also the drivers desk should be blue not read, I really hope they put the cabside window frames on the tooling.

17 minutes ago, Piranha750 said:

The black of the mask should also extend onto the lift off nose part too.

The TES Team have actually provided an email ID for people to give feedback. I'm sure the feedback will be more useful to Hornby rather than us.

Has anyone noticed the dent in the front?

I'm not sure on the front and side windows 

And yes the cab interior should be blue .and should the sides be grey not black?

I hope the put things right before the model is released 5CC6C4D6-7043-43DD-9203-326D5EA8DC7F.jpeg.b3eff8d22d07b22c53e8d29f6a819b35.jpeg

Edited by Monkey28

2 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

And yes the cab interior should be blue .

I hope the put things right before the model is released 5CC6C4D6-7043-43DD-9203-326D5EA8DC7F.jpeg.b3eff8d22d07b22c53e8d29f6a819b35.jpeg

I'll refer you to @PaulRhB's post.....

The dent on the front is most likely from the pin that released the newly formed moulded parts in the machine. It is more obvious when the plastic hasn't cooled enough and is warm enough to have it's shape changed with even a little pressure.

36 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Have you emailed Hornby about it though? Don’t assume they will read every post ;) 

customerservices.uk@Hornby.com

They say a few things left to do in the text but worth alerting them to the paint issues, the tooling is highly likely to be signed off already and the lights look to be just not installed right as this is a paint sample. 
062C78A5-C13A-4814-91F8-F62478161955.jpeg.ae44277f4b849d6e598a521251b21bed.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

it’s a sink mark from a cold mould, that’s all. Edit: as said above the plastic was hot where the injection is and with a test shot it’s obviously been pulled a bit fast and sunk there while the rest cooled fast enough as the mould extremities were cooler. Not unusual and as they note it’s a paint sample not a production sample. 

And yes the cab interior should be blue .and should the sides be grey not black?

Looks grey compared to the nose on my screen.

Again have you emailed Hornby?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

Wow the APT-P looks stunning! The printed destination board! and the City of Derby power car. I was worried that it might look too modern but thankfully it doesn't ! ( that might not make sense, or be confusing )  I will compare the City of Derby power car to the 1980 model! 

1511133289R794_11.jpg

Hornby APT 2020.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, letterspider said:

perhaps that is a release mechanism which allows the nose to lift up?

Sorry if I've missed it but does the nose actually lift up? There seems to be a clear line where it suggests it's possible.

I had to hack the nose off my original one as it will need to be towed some most of the time. I reckon it will look fantastic being pulled by a very grubby blue Duff.

Hornby APT 2020.png

I suspect that nose is part of the lower section as the break line doesn't seem to go downwards*. That would make sense, keeping the front lights as part of the chassis, not needing jumper cables between body and chassis.

*  Hmm, other views show it might. Still it might still attach to the lower part rather than the upper to simplify the lighting arrangement.

Edited by BernardTPM

Yes I'm sure when it is released the cab will be blue here is hoping anyway :yes: it would be amazing if underneath the nose ends there is super detail with buffers etc. Although as previously mentioned here I think this would envitably mean that would more expensive modifications to the 370 tooling DTS' and it would cost more than the RRP. Also Hornby do make BR Class 43 HST power cars with and without buffers and So inless there is high demand for some tooled APT DTS with lifted nose cones. I don't think we will see this. Although I could be completely 100% wrong on the lifted cones  buffers etc. As I've previously mentioned Personally I'm just please we are eventually getting a new super detailed APT-P. As for many years as each year passed it was looking increasingly highly unlikely that  we would ever get a re-run of the older now scrapped tooling. Let alone a new super detailed two full 14 rake with the APT-Ps one with yellow ends and one with APT-P livery window surrounds and even more the exciting the APT-P development coach. 

Edit: :swoon: Ah I have just seen more auto typos DTS not DVT when I posted about the BR MK4 Coaches and DVT it auto changed to DTS but I noticed that at the time. So to clarify if I post on APT-P I mean to say DTS Not DVT and if it's about DVTs MK3 or MK4 or Br class 91s or intercity 225 and it says DTS you'll know its an auto typo.

unnamed-12.jpg

Edited by RyanN91
DVT DTS auto typos fixed.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, DavidBird said:

Apologies if I've missed this, but do we know what the DCC options are?

Dcc ready, so Hornby 8 pin is usual,  but no details of through wiring vs separate decoders. 
Like the nose there’s been no info about technical details and if there are end coupling options so far. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Apologies if I've missed this, but do we know what the DCC options are?

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

but no details of through wiring vs separate decoders. 

Looking at the coupling on the power car I can see no electrical connection in that coupling

That would suggest that you would need 1 decoder for each DT & 1 for each powered power car

So a 2+1+2 would require 3 decoders & a 2+2+2 would require 4 decoders (If both power cars are powered)(adding extra Articulated coaches to make a 6+2+6 for example shouldn't require extra decoders)

This was brought up early in this chat but I don't recall an answer from Hornby

I have 2 original APT-P's one is a 2+1+2 & has 3 decoders & the other is a 2+2+5 & has 4 decoders

John

Edited by John ks
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, John ks said:

Looking at the coupling on the power car I can see no electrical connection in that coupling

no I agree but waiting confirmation as it’s a test sample. 

Don’t know what’s happening with the quotes in your post but the first quote was David, not me ;) 

04438202-1102-4DFA-AAFB-E7FDA26CC125.jpeg.29fdf3891c013a1efa4cbbb34b317c51.jpeg