Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

11 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

It has interior lighting by the looks of it, my hype for it has gone up

According to the new Engine Shed blog it does:

Each APT coach features an accurate interior complete with lighting aligned with each set of seats to better illuminate the detail.

Link: https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/diesel-deliveries

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, APT-P said:

Hornby have just posted a video of the APT-P in action -

Is the blue power car a throw back to "banger blue"?  If so, surely it should have yellow ends?  I'll get my coat :locomotive:

• Funny 1

If you look carefully on the vid, the prototype non-articulated APT carriage is on the table too (also a painted sample).

Overall looks mega. Paint shades look pretty accurate. Only minor niggle is that I reckon the coaches could be closer coupled, but I guess it's got to be able to articulate trainset track!

9 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

If you look carefully on the vid, the prototype non-articulated APT carriage is on the table too (also a painted sample).

Overall looks mega. Paint shades look pretty accurate. Only minor niggle is that I reckon the coaches could be closer coupled, but I guess it's got to be able to articulate trainset track!

There's one in the moving consist too.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

There's one in the moving consist too.

Ahh so there is! So is the moving consist missing 1 x articulated vehicle? I thought the prototype 14 car was without the non articulated vehicle?

1 hour ago, APT-P said:

Hornby have just posted a video of the APT-P in action -

Still not sure about the black panel at the front. Pics I've seen show the black extending below the panel that slides to expose the buffers. Hoping will get appropriately amended for the final version but I have my doubts

17 minutes ago, daveahudson said:

Ahh so there is! So is the moving consist missing 1 x articulated vehicle? I thought the prototype 14 car was without the non articulated vehicle?

Yeah, it is. The set in the video seems like a bit of a mishmash. I think I can only see one TRBS and one TF?

The full 14 car set is supposed to be:

r3874-7-car-pack.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Still not sure about the black panel at the front. Pics I've seen show the black extending below the panel that slides to expose the buffers. Hoping will get appropriately amended for the final version but I have my doubts

It is a painted sample. Not a production sample. If you have concerns, email Simon Kohler and share your concerns with him. They've shown us this sample before and stated that tweaks were being  made to the artwork.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It is a painted sample. Not a production sample. If you have concerns, email Simon Kohler and share your concerns with him. They've shown us this sample before and stated that tweaks were being  made to the artwork.

Do you know where I can find his email address? 

Hi All,

This looks really good & to my eye capture the feel of the real thing.

Remember folks, this isn't the final version, but certainly looks very, very promising......

The next question I guess, will be when will these become available?

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Henners84 said:

From the March edition of TES.

Untitled.png.0927df4c6cd359cd4b1e683202cad557.png

You can email Simon and share your concerns with him with images as proof. I'm sure a nicely worded email will result in some improvements.

HTH?

• Agree 1

Thanks all. I've dropped Simon a mail which I hope will be well received. For the avoidance of doubt, I've added some pics that hopefully highlight the difference.

Otherwise I can't wait and hoping my ore order 'sticks'. I also need to decide what length of train I will model. For me I think a 10 car train is the sweet-spot as shown towards the end of this video... 

14 cars is just a little too long for me (and I think would look disproportionately large on my layout). Now I just need to figure out what additional coaches I need and whether or not anyone is still taking pre orders.

Henry

Screenshot_20210430-213432~2.png

Screenshot_20210430-213602~2.png

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, MrJack47790 said:

Hornby say summer 2021-some stores are a bit more specific and say July 2021.

Hornbys website suggests July for the apt sets and Aug for the class 91 (presume a number on this thread are interested in both). Whether that turns out to be correct is another thing

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the video. I noted some formations with only a few coaches after the powercar the sets were not symmetrical. Were these few coaches in service or locked out of use. Did the guard pass through the power car on each journey or was their 2 guards?

36 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Thanks for the video. I noted some formations with only a few coaches after the powercar the sets were not symmetrical. Were these few coaches in service or locked out of use. Did the guard pass through the power car on each journey or was their 2 guards?

I don't know I'm afraid. I presumed they were in use but cannot say for sure

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Henners84 said:

14 cars is just a little too long for me (and I think would look disproportionately large on my layout). Now I just need to figure out what additional coaches I need...

Unfortunately, due to the way the coach addon sets have been made, you need one coach from each of the four add-on coach pairs to make a correctly formed 10 car (6+2+2) train. Meaning you'll either need to buy fifteen total cars to get the correct vehicles for a 10 car train, or pick up spares second-hand from people who did that and are looking to pass them on.

I have pre-ordered a complete rake, and I'm also intending to run a 10 car train on my layout (which is right at the limit of what my layout can handle).
When they arrive, I will have to decide if I keep the extras so I can make up the full set for any outings (e.g. to a club layout) or whether I sell them on.

That's assuming my pre-order is fulfilled, of course. Knowing my luck, I'll get the add-on cars, but the base 7 car set will get cancelled...

Edited by Bloodnok