Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

30 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

Unfortunately, due to the way the coach addon sets have been made, you need one coach from each of the four add-on coach pairs to make a correctly formed 10 car (6+2+2) train. Meaning you'll either need to buy fifteen total cars to get the correct vehicles for a 10 car train, or pick up spares second-hand from people who did that and are looking to pass them on.

I have pre-ordered a complete rake, and I'm also intending to run a 10 car train on my layout (which is right at the limit of what my layout can handle).
When they arrive, I will have to decide if I keep the extras so I can make up the full set for any outings (e.g. to a club layout) or whether I sell them on.

That's assuming my pre-order is fulfilled, of course. Knowing my luck, I'll get the add-on cars, but the base 7 car set will get cancelled...

I see, that's a little annoying. If you purchase the add on coach packs, do they allow 2 people to build a 10 car rake (ie 2 people go halves on the packs). If you decide to stick to the 10 cars and not keep all 14, would you want to want to halves (share the cost)? That's assuming we both get our orders filled... 

5 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

I see, that's a little annoying. If you purchase the add on coach packs, do they allow 2 people to build a 10 car rake (ie 2 people go halves on the packs).

Yes, two base sets plus one of each add-on pack will make two ten car trains.

5 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

If you decide to stick to the 10 cars and not keep all 14, would you want to want to halves (share the cost)? That's assuming we both get our orders filled... 

As to what I do with the remaining vehicles, there are too many questions (like whether I even get my pre-order filled) to answer before I get to that stage...

Looking forward to this. I am overseas and can't wait for the new APT. It is the train I really want this year. However, my paranoia over Hornby pre-orders has gotten the better of me. I had this on pre-order(5 car set) with TMC. I changed the pre-order to the Hornby store(not exactly discouraging any shenanigans by Hornby) and bought a EFE Class 58 from TMC and have a Bachmann Class 08 on pre order instead. 

Edited by wairoa

6 hours ago, wairoa said:

Looking forward to this. I am overseas and can't wait for the new APT. It is the train I really want this year. However, my paranoia over Hornby pre-orders has gotten the better of me. I had this on pre-order(5 car set) with TMC. I changed the pre-order to the Hornby store(not exactly discouraging any shenanigans by Hornby) and bought a EFE Class 58 from TMC and have a Bachmann Class 08 on pre order instead. 

Agree with your feeling on the paranoia. Think you're certainly more likely to receive if ordering through Hornby direct. I have pre ordered with tmc and had the same thoughts as you. However I currently feel I'd rather take that little extra risk and continue to support the retailer as I like the service/help that tmc and others provide generally and don't like to see these guys pressured by the big manufacturers as I think their existence is an important part of our hobby 

• Like 1

I have a 7 car set on pre order with Hattons,  but must admit to ongoing paranoia have ordered the same direct with Hornby,  I aint missing out on this!

worst case scenario I'll have two sets,  worth the expenditure i reckon....maybe a future investment!

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

7 car APT with Hattons has just been cancelled.....

Same here, have reordered with TMC so fingers crossed. I'd urge anyone else who's had a cancellation to switch their preorder to their local model shop if possible or other independent online.

Both APT-Ps sold out quickly after the announcement and Hatton's had sold out of them within a few weeks afterwards. Then a few months later they sent out an email that they had further allocated more stock. I pre ordered on the announcement date of January 6 2020. And now mine is cancelled. Although Strangley I did placed an order from mid 2020 of the coronation scot coaches and I've received all them from Hatton's with no problems. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wrex said:

Same here, have reordered with TMC so fingers crossed. I'd urge anyone else who's had a cancellation to switch their preorder to their local model shop if possible or other independent online.

Is it not safer to order direct with Hornby?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jim76 said:

Is it not safer to order direct with Hornby?

Almost certainly, but would be:

Depriving an independent of that sale.

Rewarding Hornby for squeezing supply.

Full price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Still available for pre order on the Hornby site (as I have done).

Something not right has hattons oversold their allocation or Hornby decided to under supply.

Will be interesting to see if other shops have their allocations cut too.

• Like 1

I have ordered the 7 car APT-P directly from Hornby. Other than the LNER original W1 Hush Hush and the APT-P , all of my other Hatton's pre orders that were cancelled I have managed to pre order again with a local retailer within my own county. 

I am now wondering if I will still get my pre orders that I also placed on the announcement date for the additional SUKs for the APT-P directly from Hatton's? along with the additional 5 coaches for the Class 390  Avanti Pendolino? 

Again I won't be holding my breath about that either I know it is not Hatton's fault. I have shopped with Hatton's for years like many people have all of their staff are fantastic I would feel awful if i just cancelled everything Hornby that I have on pre order with them to use a different retailer. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jim76 said:

Why the paranoia and issues with Hattons cancelling pre-orders or am I missing something (?) although this now seems true...

1 hour ago, wrex said:

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

Still available for pre order on the Hornby site (as I have done).

Something not right has hattons oversold their allocation or Hornby decided to under supply.

Will be interesting to see if other shops have their allocations cut too.

See the thread on pre-order emails - started as a Hattons / Hornby thread, but it is now clear that multiple retailers are being affected by Hornby cancelling pre-orders.  It's not a Hattons thing, it's a Hornby thing.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just had my pre-order for 7-car set cancelled by Hattons. Was ordered within minutes of being announced and just as uploaded to the Hattons website, so seriously hacked off.

So given, when I ordered, on what basis are Hattons cancelling? If it is first come, first served, they must be getting next to no stock.

The other coaches are on still showing on pre-order, so do I cancel those and reorder elsewhere?

Having lost out financially in the DJ APT fiasco, I am half considering giving the APT up as a bad lot all together...

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I've put in a preorder with Hornby now and used Quidco so at least I'll get some money off the rrp.

Out of interest has anybody actually received anything from Hornby that has been cancelled by retailers?

On 01/05/2021 at 09:12, MGR Hooper! said:

From the March edition of TES.

Untitled.png.0927df4c6cd359cd4b1e683202cad557.png

You can email Simon and share your concerns with him with images as proof. I'm sure a nicely worded email will result in some improvements.

HTH?

the only other thing i want with this model is the nose to be removible for loco dragging, but i'd trade that for directional lighting

59 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

the only other thing i want with this model is the nose to be removible for loco dragging, but i'd trade that for directional lighting

It's quite obvious that it's a separate part. But no one knows if it's removable. Judging by the Hornby Class 395 Javelin and Class 800 IEP, I think the APT-P might just have the same feature.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hornby seem to have a policy now of destroying their retail network. The retailers are not getting what they ordered forcing modellers to order direct from Hornby.

That is simply not proper behaviour from a manufactiurer (or wholesaler).

It will come back to haunt them. More profit in the short term but zero profit in the long term.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Hornby seem to have a policy now of destroying their retail network. The retailers are not getting what they ordered forcing modellers to order direct from Hornby.

It will come back to haunt them. More profit in the short term but zero profit in the long term.

I guess it will continue until we take a stand and refuse to order direct when our pre-orders are cancelled. 

Roy

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

For me there is a third option, order the APT-E from Rapido instead.... 

It will satisfy my desire for a pointy shaped thing, cost less money and will definitely be delivered, and to a known quality standard. Fits my era and current layout slightly better too if I'm honest. Order book closes on 1 July. 

If my pre-order with TMC falls before then, I will be giving it some serious thought.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

For me there is a third option, order the APT-E from Rapido instead.... 

It will satisfy my desire for a pointy shaped thing, cost less money and will definitely be delivered, and to a known quality standard. Fits my era and current layout slightly better too if I'm honest. Order book closes on 1 July. 

If my pre-order with TMC falls before then, I will be giving it some serious thought.

Completely  different  train though !   Glad I bought the original Hornby one back when DJ first announced his 

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Too right it will, especially with the likes of Accurascale, Rapido and Dapol producing some very nice models that people actually want.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Like 3