Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

1 hour ago, Black 5 Bear said:

It will come back to haunt them. More profit in the short term but zero profit in the long term.

Too right it will, especially with the likes of Accurascale, Rapido and Dapol producing some very nice models that people actually want.

But Hornby do make models people want, which is why this is a problem.

APT, W1, Class 87, A2s are all popular models that people want.  It Hornby were creating cr@p that no one wanted we wouldn’t be concerned would we

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

This model is probably top of my list for years. I unfortunately lost out on the crowd funding APT being developed with Trains of Stanley. Of which I hold no malice over, I knew the risks and it was all in good faith. I have pre-ordered through a smaller retailer. So naturally I hope I get it as I desire this model the most. However I'm not going to go and order with Hornby as some have to hedge my bets (although I completely understand). As much as I want the model I ain't playing that game and standing in solidarity with the retailers. Maybe it's cutting my nose of to spite my face because me not buying one won't prevent Hornby from selling the whole lot. Neither am I going to pay extortionate re-sell prices on Ebay. If they screw my retailer over I'm out and just have to save my self the many £100s. I have got a lovely collection anyway so just take it on the chin. Plus in my experience if this model is popular Horny will one day make another run. Rapido have with their APT-E (glad I got that the first time round though).

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Legend said:

Completely  different  train though !   Glad I bought the original Hornby one back when DJ first announced his 

Not entirely different though either, are they? I can't justify both, and in reality one or the other will satisfy me. Potentially being forced to order direct sticks in the craw, and I would rather walk away than dance to Hornby's tune. 

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

But Hornby do make models people want, which is why this is a problem.

APT, W1, Class 87, A2s are all popular models that people want.  It Hornby were creating cr@p that no one wanted we wouldn’t be concerned would we

The only current Hornby locos I will even contemplate buying at the moment are the AS M/N's.

These seem to be very good in relation to fit/finish QC.

I currently have on order, 2 Hornby Dublo versions and 3 from the main range.

As for the A2/2/3s, sorry but no thanks. Too many problems, which have already been discussed on here at length.

Hornby do make models people want, that is of course true but for how long. 

15 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

It's quite obvious that it's a separate part. But no one knows if it's removable. Judging by the Hornby Class 395 Javelin and Class 800 IEP, I think the APT-P might just have the same feature.

now, if it were to have both a removable nose and head/tail lights, they could go with contact based connections like those used on phone batteries

It would be more appropriate to discuss pre-order issues in its own thread & it already exists.

This was supposed to be about the APT-P. Could we please get back to topic?

The pre-production painted samples look good.

Does anyone have an authentic layout to run them on? I have an WCML one but it is in 1930s/1940s era at the moment & because it involves some scratchbuilding, there is no chance I will have even started on the 1990s scenic boards before the APT arrives.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The pre-production painted samples look good.

Does anyone have an authentic layout to run them on?

I totally agree they do look very good.

I'm currently creating a section of the WCML platforms at Motherwell in the winter of 1981 to go with my APT.

It's the section to the south,towards London.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Does anyone have an authentic layout to run them on? I have an WCML one but it is in 1930s/1940s era at the moment & because it involves some scratchbuilding, there is no chance I will have even started on the 1990s scenic boards before the APT arrives.

YES!

Very much looking forward to getting my full length set :)

Andi

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

With these cancellations has anyone who’s ordered a full set had it cancelled, or is it just people who ordered the 5/7 car base pack? I ordered within minutes of the announcement so I guess I was pretty early but I did order the whole set with add on packs so obviously I’d be pretty stuffed if they cancel the bit with the ends and powercar! So far it’s still there in my account. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/05/2021 at 13:49, Jim76 said:

Is it not safer to order direct with Hornby?

On 04/05/2021 at 13:54, wrex said:

Almost certainly, but would be:

Depriving an independent of that sale.

Rewarding Hornby for squeezing supply.

Full price.

It depends on whether you want an APT or whether you want to show solidarity with an "independent" , and not get an APT.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

It depends on whether you want an APT or whether you want to show solidarity with an "independent" , and not get an APT.

Indeed, you cannot show solidarity without potentially denying yourself the model.  

As much as I admire many people wishing to show solidarity, when push comes to shove, how many will select to simply not buy the model, I suspect less than you'd think.  Hornby know this and it is why they can do this, people want the model more than where they purchase it, the main driver at present to go independent is the discount on RRP.

• Agree 4

Had mine cancelled by Hattons at the weekend which like others was placed early. They say that Hornby are not supplying all the proposed stock forcing them to cancel although the additional coaches are still live.

I ordered the 7pm car pack from Gaugemaster and asked them how form this is and they said that provided Hornby supply the promised allocation then its fine which does not give me any confidence. 

If you ask me either Hornby underestimated demand or they have scaled back to allow more sales through their own website which means higher profit as no retailer discount

Either way its poor service

Paul R

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2021 at 07:20, PaulRhB said:

With these cancellations has anyone who’s ordered a full set had it cancelled, or is it just people who ordered the 5/7 car base pack? I ordered within minutes of the announcement so I guess I was pretty early but I did order the whole set with add on packs so obviously I’d be pretty stuffed if they cancel the bit with the ends and powercar! So far it’s still there in my account. 

I had a 14 (ok 15) car set on order and another powered center car, had the 7 car set cancelled. 

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had mine cancelled. I had ordered a 7 car set and all the coaches, 15 in total . I then cancelled the rest. I only want to get the whole lot as one package. 
Phoned several shops. All sold out. Most shop keepers were saying they are hoping there going to get there full alaction. Also it hurts them to have to turn down £780 order. 
The longer Hornby do not make any stament the more people will make there own mind up. 
I find it odd that this has sold out before it hits the shelf. This does the hobby no favors.
The APT has all ways polled high in the wish list. There is all the Data on the DJM version , Ebay prices were high on the old 1980s version. Given that , You would have though they would have made this one in extra large numbers. May be they did we will never know.

John

Well after joining the cancelled club. I caved in and ordered a full set direct,  I'm not getting into the politics of Hornby policy etc,  But i really don't want to miss out on this iconic model.  so for me personally its worth paying a few extra quid to guarantee delivery....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm really torn on it. I want one but I see all these retailers getting bashed for something that on the face of it really isn't their fault.

But I also want a prototype one and lottery wins to spend that much have been a bit sparse recently :(

• Like 1

To all thoese who have had the pre order cancelled. All I can say is. I had mine cancelled and I looked on the net and rang around. Found a shop that still had a few. If a shop on the net say out of stock that is not all ways the case. A quick phone call can result in yes, have one left. Some shops like to have a buffer zone so show out of stock. 

There are still 5 and 7 car set out there just need a bit of time tracking them down. Loads of middle cars. 
I would seam there will be a situation were shops have the TU,TF,TS TRBS,NDN but no 7 or 5 car set. Be intresting in seeing how they will sell them.
John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, oleander said:

To all thoese who have had the pre order cancelled. All I can say is. I had mine cancelled and I looked on the net and rang around. Found a shop that still had a few. If a shop on the net say out of stock that is not all ways the case. A quick phone call can result in yes, have one left. Some shops like to have a buffer zone so show out of stock. 

There are still 5 and 7 car set out there just need a bit of time tracking them down. Loads of middle cars. 
I would seam there will be a situation were shops have the TU,TF,TS TRBS,NDN but no 7 or 5 car set. Be intresting in seeing how they will sell them.
John

That's fine but there's no guarantee that shop will get their allocation either going by the number of shops having had to cancel pre-orders.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oleander said:

John

A tip on where to find a 7 car set that isn’t direct from Hornby would be appreciated. Ta.

Given the "proposed" solidarity,  how many entrepreneurs will see an opportunity to buy directly through Hornby and then place a profit margin on an eBay sale?    Principles are one thing but when those principled people see the Hornby stock sold out will they pay more simply to get a set?  Hornby may release a second run but then of late subsequent releases are not generally forthcoming.  If you can swallow your principles then you will deny someone else of an eBay sale at a premium price.  Think of it that way rather than sticking to your guns.  Look to the Rocket release where pre-orders were cancelled only to see ridiculous sale prices on eBay. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3