Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

7 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

i'm going to assume that the two coach packs you need to get to 14 coach lengths will be in a box like the Eurostar coaches?

i'm guessing it will be like how the Beatles Eurostar was done for booth the coach packs and the main sets, with plastic inserts. If so the box art will be gorgeous especially on the coach packs.

On 23/01/2020 at 04:19, 7APT7 said:

For those who are questioning the Hornby R4970, BR, InterCity APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle, Sc48204 / 977527 - Era 7

The APT-P Ex-TS Sc48204 aka 977527 the APT-U Project, (the Next Mark [MK] of Coach) Test Prototype Coach although it was NOT a Tilting Coach, I believe.

But it goes to show just how far ahead of  its time the APT-P was, including the next generation of coaches in the pipeline, when you consider MK5 have only just come out in the last what... 18 months 2-years or so... A true marvel of engineering at its very best.

post-5212-0-69396300-1527977645_thumb.jpg

This should be in your Rake, even if its just the only spare coach you have, then this coach should be the extra APT Coach to buy for £39.99

Regards

Jamie

On 19/05/2021 at 23:55, oleander said:

from the APT face book page.

187515689_4664513503565769_5031644349054855619_n.jpg

15 minutes ago, Amand said:

I thought every APT passenger carrying coach had at least one bogie shared with the coach is it was coupled to? Can't find the prototype coach that this Hornby example is modelled on?

APT-U Development coach? HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amand said:

I thought every APT passenger carrying coach had at least one bogie shared with the coach is it was coupled to? Can't find the prototype coach that this Hornby example is modelled on?

Like MGRHooper said, it's the APT-U development coach:

image.png.05f6508f8b7c3eb2d32ce2d0e1490380.png

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hattons cancelled my pre-orderd additional coaches. Managed to find some from another retailer but this whole thing is unsettling as I still don't know whether these new orders will be fulfilled.

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, pwr said:

Hattons cancelled my pre-orderd additional coaches. Managed to find some from another retailer but this whole thing is unsettling as I still don't know whether these new orders will be fulfilled.

Paul R

Would seem from the other thread that it depends on where your order lies.  A bricks and mortar shop seems a good bet.

Edited by Ouroborus
typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Would seem from the other thread that it depends on where your order lies.  A bricks and mortar shop seems a good bet.

Hattons have a sizeable shop,  didn’t do my pre-oders any good…

Roy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pwr said:

Paul R

I think the middel coaches will be avaible after the model hits the shelfs. As when I was looking after my pre order was cancelled. lots of places had middle coaches avaible but no 7 or 5 car sets . 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, oleander said:

I think the middel coaches will be avaible after the model hits the shelfs. As when I was looking after my pre order was cancelled. lots of places had middle coaches avaible but no 7 or 5 car sets . 

Some of the extra coaches seem to be sold out already on preorder with retailers.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Would you buy the part set unless very confident of getting the rest of the set? I would not.

I remember the Jouef rep coming into my shop and being awfully proud of the Class 373 Eurostar HO model. Didn't I think it was wonderful? "Yes, apart from the fact that 80% of it is missing. I won't be ordering any until all of it is available". 

They never made the other cars. That's probably because sales of the original set were poor: a chicken and egg situation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 20/05/2021 at 19:51, MrJack47790 said:

i'm guessing it will be like how the Beatles Eurostar was done for booth the coach packs and the main sets, with plastic inserts. If so the box art will be gorgeous especially on the coach packs.

thats how the 3 e300 coach packs i brought early this year came packaged

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, WestRail642fan said:

in regard to coach lighting, might it be that Hornby are using the mag-light system?

I thought the video that was in the last engines shed showed it but I doesnt. Neither does any of the engine shed images. 

I'm my view it seems unlikely they would use maglite as all the trailers would have to come apart to change the battery. My view is all the coaches have pickups and pickup individually. The end driving trailers must anyway for the DCC chips and directional lighting. 

• Like 2

have i missed something.  a 5 car set rrp is around £395 and 7 car around £495 and 2 car trailer packs £89.   why would buy the 7 car when i could but the 5 car and 2 car packs and save at least a tenner?  cache of a boxed 7 car set?

Edit: letterspider posted at the same time, I was posting in response to ThaneofFife :)

It's not quite that simple.

The 7 car set is the later version with the black window surrounds on the driving cars. This is the version I want regardless of whatever extra vehicles it comes with. Others will no doubt prefer the earlier plain yellow fronted version that comes in the 5 car set. Confusingly, the photographs on Hornby's website of the real train show the later version with the black window surrounds for both sets.

The 2 extra cars you get in the 7 car set are an (unpowered) Non-Driving Motor (NDM) car and the APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle. If you bought the 5 car set and wanted an additional NDM then you would need to buy the powered one (R4938) that is available separately for £109.99. The APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle is £39.99 on its own (R4970). They're the RRPs - you should be able to find them cheaper.

Also, the RRP of the 7 car set is £484.99 compared to £394.99 for the 5 car set (£90 difference).

Edited by InterCity80s
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Agree with InterCity80s. I originally pre-ordered the 5-car, plus a TRB pair and a TS pair, as well as an NDM, to get a 10-car set.

Then on further investigation, I worked out I could get the 7-car, plus a TRB pair and a TS pair, get a 10-car set, with an extra APT-U car on top, with the black window surrounds, for £20 less in total.

• RMweb Gold
On 19/05/2021 at 19:25, oleander said:

from the APT face book page.

187515689_4664513503565769_5031644349054855619_n.jpg

I was very excited to see this picture as by implication the APT’s have been manufactured and are potentially en route! Although this was kind of a one off coach so maybe lacking some commonalities with the other components of the train. Should I be excited or not (as a 50yr old there’s not a lot else to get excited about now anyway I guess).

• Like 2

On 22/05/2021 at 18:51, MGR Hooper! said:

It's most likely the conventional pick-ups from the wheel arrangement. 

I would think so...but most of the set is on articulated bogies.

This would limit each coach to pick up from 4 wheels instead of 8 (which I suspect is why the 4 wheelers have battery operated lights with the magnetic wand).

although

If the bogies are articulated, this could allow through wiring & all wheel pickup. This would be awesome, but I think it is optimistic.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1