Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

25 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

looks like its been moved back to autumn now

Where did you see this please?

EDIT: The Hornby website is showing the 5 and 7 car packs as 'Summer' with everything else (intermediate trailers, NDM) showing 'Autumn'.

Edited by lyneux

On 22/05/2021 at 20:32, Pete the Elaner said:

That is a good question but I think we need to guess the answer at the moment:

Hey,

I can confirm that it will be powered off of the track and not a maglight setup. Though I did pass on the suggestion to develop a maglight with a longer LED strip for other coaches within the Hornby range.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Given how popular this model already is, i hope Hornby does make some of the planned APT variants such as APT-U (Ultimate), APT-Q and APT-S (Squadron), although, APT-Q would be the easiest since it was just half of the 14 coach unit just with a DVT coupled to the back

Edited by WestRail642fan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

But they'd spend much time and money trying to determine exactly the configurations of those proposed trains, as they changed frequently.

And when was the last time any major manufacturer put money into building models of trains that were never built?

I doubt the market is actually there for such a project. 

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

And when was the last time any major manufacturer put money into building models of trains that were never built?

Generic coaches spring to mind. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Generic coaches spring to mind. 

Totally different situation.  On one hand making a model to broadly represent many similar types that arent available at all, and being acceptible to many modellers because nothing more accurate exists in the market, versus having a fairly wild stab in the dark at trains that never existed other than in vague plans. After all, who knows what they would have looked like?  You cant take it as read than the squadron trains would be simply the same coaches marshalled in a different order,  that was only true of the Q train and even that had a DVT that was, at least to my knowledge, never actually designed.  

I cant imagine that there would be anything approaching enough people interested in spending big bucks on a fictional train.  After all how would we know what the true number of rivets to count was?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

20 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

Given how popular this model already is, i hope Hornby does make some of the planned APT variants such as APT-U (Ultimate), APT-Q and APT-S (Squadron), although, APT-Q would be the easiest since it was just half of the 14 coach unit just with a DVT coupled to the back

The APT-U retains motors inside the bodyshell in the power car, dropping the frontmost motor to accomodate a driving cab (hence the second axle of each power car being undriven). But it has non-articulated coaches.

The APT-S moves the motors to be mounted on the underneath of the shell (still body mounted, but below the floor), keeps the coach articulation, and has a DVT at the other end of the rake.

Marry the updated APT-S power car and DVT design to the updated APT-U coaches, and now you have the final specification, with body-mounted underfloor motors, a non-articulated coach rake and a DVT.

In this process, the target speed has dropped from 155 to 140. And the tilt requirement has dropped from 9 degrees to 6, plus tilt is now optional so that batches built for routes that don't benefit from tilt won't have to sustain the maintenance cost for it when there is little to no in-service benefit.

Six degree tilt max allows a different body profile with a wider roof, half-way between the APT and the Mk3. No articulation implies a return to 23m carriages, and those together allow a general styling update.

You will indeed find this version in the Hornby catalogue. It's just listed under a different name. The Class 91 loco and Mk4 coaches :P

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

On 27/05/2021 at 12:38, WestRail642fan said:

so, ive just given in and pre-ordered the 7 car set and its coaches 

image.png.ef91389687e58fd9336c49623437eafd.png

I'd just check with them that you have got one allocated - the website doesn't necessarilly show live availability on preorders - I was emailing with Chris earlier and he said they have allocated preorders and have a large list of people waiting on backup incase one becomes available.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

The APT-U retains motors inside the bodyshell in the power car, dropping the frontmost motor to accomodate a driving cab (hence the second axle of each power car being undriven). But it has non-articulated coaches.

The APT-S moves the motors to be mounted on the underneath of the shell, keeps the coach articulation, and has a DVT at the other end of the rake.

Marry the updated APT-S power car and DVT design to the updated APT-U coaches, and now you have the final specification, with underfloor motors, a non-articulated coach rake and a DVT.

In this process, the target speed has dropped from 155 to 140. And the tilt requirement dropped from 9 degrees to 6, plus tilt is now optional so that batches built for routes that don't benefit from tilt won't have to sustain the maintenance cost for it when there is little to no in-service benefit.

Six degree tilt allows a different body profile with a wider roof, half-way between the APT and the Mk3. No articulation implies a return to 23m carriages, and those together allow a general styling update.

You will indeed find this version in the Hornby catalogue. It's just listed under a different name. The Class 91 loco and Mk4 coaches :p

91s have body mounted traction motors like the APT

Andi

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bloodnok said:

The APT-S moves the motors to be mounted on the underneath of the shell (still body mounted, but below the floor), keeps the coach articulation, and has a DVT at the other end of the rake.

Marry the updated APT-S power car and DVT design to the updated APT-U coaches, and now you have the final specification, with body-mounted underfloor motors, a non-articulated coach rake and a DVT.

In this process, the target speed has dropped from 155 to 140. And the tilt requirement has dropped from 9 degrees to 6, plus tilt is now optional so that batches built for routes that don't benefit from tilt won't have to sustain the maintenance cost for it when there is little to no in-service benefit.

Six degree tilt max allows a different body profile with a wider roof, half-way between the APT and the Mk3. No articulation implies a return to 23m carriages, and those together allow a general styling update.

You will indeed find this version in the Hornby catalogue. It's just listed under a different name. The Class 91 loco and Mk4 coaches :P

That's an idea...

The InterCity greys had changed by the time the Mk4s were introduced, but the style of livery on the Mk4s is suitable. The 91 & DVT would need a re-spray, but if these were to be replaced with new toolings, it would be something interesting to do with the old ones, which have potential for anyone wanting to detail them.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, adamvb said:

I'd just check with them that you have got one allocated - the website doesn't necessarilly show live availability on preorders - I was emailing with Chris earlier and he said they have allocated preorders and have a large list of people waiting on backup incase one becomes available.

how would i check with them?

16 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

right, just got off the phone to Hornby and all the items have been allocated to me, and according to the lady on the phone, the main set is due to release end of July and the coaches at the end of September

That is good news but I feel they are being brave by telling you that. Lots can go wrong which is beyond their control:

A ship could block the Suez canal..

Some paperwork could be wrong which causes containers to go to the wrong place.

Workers in a container port could be put in conditions which causes them to go on strike.

These are some of the reasons companies prefer not to be open with expected arrival times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

That is good news but I feel they are being brave by telling you that. Lots can go wrong which is beyond their control:

Workers in a container port could be put in conditions which causes them to go on strike.

These are some of the reasons companies prefer not to be open with expected arrival times.

Lets be fair, you cant really predict that something will happen

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I have a relative like that. Always has a list of things that  might go wrong. I think it interferes with him enjoying life.

It'll be alright in the end. :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...