Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

3 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

Has anybody seen or heard any more about release dates? Are we really 4 or 5 weeks away from an APT?

If i am reading Hornby's site correctly then July for the 5 & 7 car sets & September for the rest of the coaches & power car

Hope this helps 

John

1 hour ago, John ks said:

If i am reading Hornby's site correctly then July for the 5 & 7 car sets & September for the rest of the coaches & power car

Hope this helps 

John

I'm seeing the same, but with everything else I've preordered and looking forward to delayed, I'm not holding my breath. But equally excited at the prospect on an APT in hand!

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Does it have THREE Power Cars in the formation? :huh:

Or are some pics taken from the other side? 

The first picture looks like a different train/formation, pictures are taken from the same location but 49005 is the other way round and has gained an observation point.

Edited by Magna Junction
better wording.
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, ac1874 said:

Has anybody seen or heard any more about release dates? Are we really 4 or 5 weeks away from an APT?

If the upcoming TES blog has an APT-P sample, then the July release date is quite likely. But so far we've only seen pre-production painted samples

2 hours ago, Magna Junction said:

The first picture looks like a different train/formation, pictures are taken from the same location but 49005 is the other way round and has gained an observation point.

Yes, I agree. Having saved them to disc I can see the shot with the observation cupola is quite a bit later in time, 49005 mis a LOT more knackered in that shot. :huh:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Just prepping people for when they moan the stripes don’t line up . . . ;) 

Looking at it it kind of looks like the tilt mechanism isn't working quite right. And as others have pointed out I think the ratty looking power car may be from a different train even though the caption says it's from the same date.

Towards the end of the P-Train's running no-one ever seemed to bother too much how well the tilt system was adjusted. Hardly surprising as they didn't carry any paying passengers on the test runs anyway, and the test crew would have been in the instrumented Trailer Car, whichever one that was. You can bet THAT one was adjusted within a couple of seconds of arc! :o

Because of the way the control valves worked each channel of the system had to be adjusted correctly, so 'Down' was directly through the centre of the floor, before each run after the train had been powered up. It was just a matter of adjusting a small control potentiometer to 'zero' the floor with the aid of a spirit level.

Some of us didn't need spirit levels, I can still tell the angle of a surface I'm standing on to within 1/2 degree to this day, which amazes many people as they just don't believe it's possible, but it's what I did from back in 1971, so it's ingrained in my balance system I guess. :D 

I once astonished a Chef du Train aboard a Eurostar by telling him how much cant deficiency his train was running at during a trip back from Paris in the 2000s. ;)

Without the aid of any instrumentation, I might add...........

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, ac1874 said:

In the last day or so we enquired about the prospective release dates for these models, we've been told September for all of the variants (5/7 car and coaches).

HTH :-)

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I once astonished a Chef du Train aboard a Eurostar by telling him how much cant deficiency his train was running at during a trip back from Paris in the 2000s. ;)

Thats a good name for a racehorse or a cocktail.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

In the last day or so we enquired about the prospective release dates for these models, we've been told September for all of the variants (5/7 car and coaches).

HTH :-)

That’s great,thanks for letting us know!Well,it’s been this long so a while longer won’t matter much,to me anyway.

On 24/06/2021 at 12:04, ac1874 said:

Well, when i rang Hornby to confirm it was allocated to me, the lady on the phone said end of July for the train pack and End of September for the trailers

• RMweb Gold

what a bloody waste.....public sector both then and now have too much money, they think nothing of tossing things away or scraping things because right now its not vogue or takes too much out of a budget, its all about the now, not the 10-20 years down the line. 

maybe we should scrap democracy :offtopic:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

what a bloody waste.....public sector both then and now have too much money, they think nothing of tossing things away or scraping things because right now its not vogue or takes too much out of a budget, its all about the now, not the 10-20 years down the line. 

maybe we should scrap democracy :offtopic:

A touch of an overreaction, contrary to prevailing opinion, I don’t think there’s any point in preserving every conceivable example of an object. I mean what would you realistically do with the complete fleet of 16 tonners? I would much rather a genuinely historic artefact survive in loving care, than a thousand pieces of detritus bury any hope of understanding. 

• Agree 1

The fact is that when something like a railway line is deemed to be “not needed at this time”, then it is usually destroyed, viaducts dynamited, the route compromised by allowing development, roads built through the formation....

Then, a few years later, the case has changed. New housing or other developments have now made a case for reinstatement of the railway....

But that motorway that now crosses the route in just such a way as to make it very difficult to construct a railway crossing without much expense as there is insufficient height clearance to go over or under has scuppered that now....

The old Great Central main line route would be useful these days, but the route has been compromised in many places now.

The route from Llangollen to Ruabon  has had obstructions built on the original route, and virtually every viable diversion to get past the obstacles...

With the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod, and the general tourism of the area, it would have been good to be able to have a Park and Ride facility into Llangollen itself, from the outside world.

I seem to recall that in some other countries, when a train service becomes uneconomic, it was stopped. But the route was maintained intact, against the future need to reinstate the service...

The line from Saltney to Wrexham was made single track, limiting the frequency of trains.

A new road was built up the Alyn valley...and the rail bridges were built to only take a single railway track.

Now that there has been a need to reinstate the double tracks, to allow improvements in frequency of trains, the short sighted, money saving construction of those bridges has meant that there are still single track sections (with the complication to signaling and timetables) across those bridges, as it would be expensive, and disruption caused to the road traffic, to rebuild those bridges to take a double track.

I think that is the sort of thing @jonnyuk was referring to...

Lack of investment, let alone any joined up thinking...

Giving up at the first obstacles.

Not preserving everything, least of all the complete fleet of 16 ton mineral wagons...

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2021 at 19:47, montyburns56 said:

The end is nigh....

by Hugh Searle

352-36 APT booths 06071986

Interesting variant on a buckeye coupler with extra alignment horns at the side

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Interesting variant on a buckeye coupler with extra alignment horns at the side

To the best on my knowledge they are a Janney  tightloc coupling  

First picture of one i saw was on a Santa-Fe F7 Passenger loco (Type F)

Quote from Wikipedia " They are designed with mechanical features which reduce slack in normal operation and prevent telescoping in derailments, yet remain compatible with other Janney types used by North American freight railroads."

According to wikipedia type H are used on class 321, networker & other EMU's

My guess that when used on the APT-P they lock the 2 couplings together when the power car & first coach coupling twist (rotate relative to each other) especially if the tilting of the the 2 cars is out of sync

John 

• Agree 2