Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

In response to the last few posts, I'd like to just say let's not get the topic locked with political matters. Andy's always been clear on this

Indeed, we are playing trains 

8 hours ago, John ks said:

My guess that when used on the APT-P they lock the 2 couplings together when the power car & first coach coupling twist (rotate relative to each other) especially if the tilting of the the 2 cars is out of sync

The P-Train couplers could rotate quite freely, within limits,  relative to the vehicle body, but not relative to each other. That was because they had to consider the 'opposite tilt' failure case where one vehicle had failed hard-over in one direction, and the coupled vehicle had failed hard-over in the opposite direction. That'd be 24 degrees of tilt relative to each other! :o

That should be impossible with new Hornby model if the tilt system is anything like the 2080 version, the cams just won't allow that sort of 'failure'. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

In response to the last few posts, I'd like to just say let's not get the topic locked with political matters. Andy's always been clear on this

was not aware of that...i'll keep my council and discuss such matters with others back in the real world

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Very interesting pic that, one of the early production Trailer Cars at the Carriage & Wagon Works Open Day.

I see they don't want anyone to see the 'hi-tech' handling bogies. :D

I managed to find a picture of one of them in it's previous life....

40168 ex-Scottish Region Class 40 waits at Carlisle Citadel with 1E23 10.40 to Leeds

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

I managed to find a picture of one of them in it's previous life....

40168 ex-Scottish Region Class 40 waits at Carlisle Citadel with 1E23 10.40 to Leeds

It's a trainspotter cart, so nice of BR to leave them all over principal stations back in the 70s.  Sometimes station staff would ask to borrow them to put sacks on or perhaps they took them for other spotters to use elsewhere on the station.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

You should see the ones we used on E-Train's Power Cars before we had any E1s. Those were REALLY hi-tech........... :D

E-Train dummy power bogie.jpg

Looks like it’s actually off a tram! :lol:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Looks like it’s actually off a tram! :lol:

12 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

You should see the ones we used on E-Train's Power Cars before we had any E1s. Those were REALLY hi-tech........... :D

Oooo an option of mule bogies from Hornby maybe? :lol:

• Like 2

I can't remember where they came from, but they were lurking around the RTC yard for ages, long before the first E-Train Power Car arrived.

Only then were the big spreaders added to go between the bogie and the body shell, presumably because no-one was quite sure how accurate Metro-Cammell had built it until we had it to measure. 

• Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Caption contest time...

167-16 APT DY 12081978

By Hugh Searle

(The man is thinking) this is one occasion I should have worn platform shoes with my flares...

The lady is saying

'I think BREL have missed the Hornby moulding line between the white and red stripes'

Edited by letterspider
  • Funny 2

On 28/06/2021 at 21:14, Mr_Tilt said:

That sort of reminds me of the front bogie on the GWR Achilles class, like “Lord Of The Isles”...;)

0AEEFF25-5CF9-4531-B38F-2E9C41D269BE.jpeg.7731c516f1ad3140c469eca4e6a78a3a.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Caption contest time...

167-16 APT DY 12081978

By Hugh Searle

The catering staff, despite being told there was a big difference between tilting and tipping were holding out for at least a couple of quid.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

The aftermath of the Railway Technical Centre Christmas Party ....

By Hugh Searle

352-34 APT Booths 06071986 352-35 APT Booths 06071986

That really does show just how narrow the necessary body angles made the interior.

• Agree 1