Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

I know it hasn't been released yet but is it just me? Or do the headlights on the DTS' look too lower down? I know the final examples will have modifications. It's just on the original Hornby APT-P The headlights look to be correct as just like the real APT-PS. Again I'm probably just being too picky they do look fantastic either way! 

• RMweb Premium

Not wanting to derail the thread but the recent announcement on Hornby price rises is concerning, more so with expensive sets like this. 10% on a 7 car set is a couple coaches elsewhere. Sincerely hoping the price increase doesn't apply to this model or if it does it's considerably less than 10%. I've ordered through Hornby.com since I was late and that was the only place with reliable stock as far as I could tell so hoping they honour the current price.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, E100 said:

Not wanting to derail the thread but the recent announcement on Hornby price rises is concerning, more so with expensive sets like this. 10% on a 7 car set is a couple coaches elsewhere. Sincerely hoping the price increase doesn't apply to this model or if it does it's considerably less than 10%. I've ordered through Hornby.com since I was late and that was the only place with reliable stock as far as I could tell so hoping they honour the current price.

If Hornby is correct and the 5 and 7 car packs release before the end of the month, the 10% price rise wouldn't apply since that comes in on the 31st

Edited by WestRail642fan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

If Hornby is correct and the 5 and 7 car packs release before the end of the month, the 10% price rise wouldn't apply since that comes in on the 31st

Think you are grasping at straws here.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in those items being delivered before the 31st of July.

The HD Merchant Navies were due for release in July on the Hornby website. These locos are now shown by many outlets as scheduled for August delivery and will if the latter is correct, attract the additional 10% price increase.

Hornby deliveries and release dates for various reasons, appear to be all over the place at the moment.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

The APT-P is one of their pet projects...They'll be making a noise about it. They haven't even shown us production samples. I still think it's a couple of months away (and that's being generous)

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I get the feeling that when the delivery driver drops these off he'll be a fat, jolly fellow wearing a big white beard and a big red hat.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

December 2021 a year delay from the original December 2020 date then is possible either way! A delay or not though it'll be worth the wait! Alot of the 2020 range is still to arrive and the

LNER, Hitachi IEP Bi-Mode Class 800/1, 'Azuma' Five Car Train was from the 2019 range was it?  I think the centenary range product range was the only full products released in the year 2020 that arrived that year. The retro wagons early 2021. But they were fantastic to get these all out to retailers in their anniversary year. With any of the forthcoming releases both the 2020 and 2021 ranges delays are inevitable but I think it adds to the suspense and excitement! Although that's probably just me and my opition.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I get the feeling that when the delivery driver drops these off he'll be a fat, jolly fellow wearing a big white beard and a big red hat.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Maybe 10% jollier? 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

Waiting for this model is just like the real APT... We're left with delay after delay, no one knows when it will make an appearance, since it was announced numerous HST sets have been announced and released, and it is ridiculously expensive. Let's hope that when we do see it, it will be reliable and that it does not make its customers sick! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Waiting for this model is just like the real APT... We're left with delay after delay, no one knows when it will make an appearance, since it was announced numerous HST sets have been announced and released, and it is ridiculously expensive. Let's hope that when we do see it, it will be reliable and that it does not make its customers sick! 

We could quote that for almost every RTR model ever produced ;-) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Henners84 said:

I cannot remember a time when a brand new model from Hornby using new tooling has ever been released as per their initial release date. This is not unique to the APT.

The same can be said of other manufacturers, which it probably why Bachmann have changed to a "coming in the next 3 months" announcement policy.

The HST tooling is not a good comparison because it is not an all new tooling. It may get slight revisions from time to time, but is otherwise just a re-livery of an existing model, so the sign off & re-engineering process for a test model will be much less complicated.

Models go through many stages from idea to finished product. If something wrong is noticed, this will usually put it back several months. The alternative is to release a model with known errors then keyboard warriors (plenty of us about) will complain on public forums about them.

There is not a huge amount of factory space just ready to go. That would make poor economical sense. The factories have several months lead time. If they didn't, then a sudden drop in orders would cause lots of downtime.

Since the model was announced, we have also been battling an epidemic. Our models are made in China, who refused to publish their figures some time ago. It is reasonable to assume that they have been affected just like everybody else.

Forget about the APT for now. Worrying about it won't get it here any quicker.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

13 hours ago, Henners84 said:

Well, if the customers spend all night in the bar the night before it arrives, I'm sure at least some of them are going to be sick...

• Funny 2

I’m actually old enough to remember when the original APT came out in 1980.Funnily enough the catalogue itself was delayed that year,appearing in April for whatever reason,and with no social media or anything it just dropped literally out of the blue!The model itself appeared in October that year.

Bachmanns Blue Pullman was announced around April 2010 and was delivered in November 2012 so we are by no means in record breaking territory regarding delays and it’s good to have something to look forward to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bloodnok said:

Well, if the customers spend all night in the bar the night before it arrives, I'm sure at least some of them are going to be sick...

There were only 13 fare paying customers on that  first southbound  trip, one of them being me.

The ones in the bar getting slewed at BR's expense were the media crowd, who then complained that the tilt made them sick. But not until they realised they WERE tilting a considerable distance down the line. Those of us who paid for our tickets didn't get sick..................

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

There were only 13 fare paying customers on that  first southbound  trip, one of them being me.

The ones in the bar getting slewed at BR's expense were the media crowd, who then complained that the tilt made them sick. But not until they realised they WERE tilting a considerable distance down the line. Those of us who paid for our tickets didn't get sick..................

Don’t you mean “But not until they realised THEY were tilting a considerable distance down the line”? 

My emphasis would seem to make more sense?

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Don’t you mean “But not until they realised THEY were tilting a considerable distance down the line”? 

My emphasis would seem to make more sense?

I think the emphasis is more that they hadn't realised that the APT was tilting for quite a while

• Agree 3

No, none of us could feel we were tilting, not even me!

At that time of the morning in December it was pitch dark and once out of Glasgow itself it was as if they'd straightened out the entire track. I knew that section pretty well from our tests in the 70s and I couldn't tell we were curving and tilting at all. At that time the P-Train was using a fully compensated tilt system so there should have been zero cant deficiency on the curves, and there was.

Only when we got some distance south, around Abington, did it get light enough to see the horizon going up and down as the train tilted, and then many of the hung-over media decided that tilting trains made you sick................. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Surely what made them sick was the realisation that today's deadline was fast approaching and they had failed to write what they had planned to produce on the train - because the booze was free.  Call me cynical if you like but I worked (not for the media) in Fleet Street for a few years.

• Like 2