Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, E100 said:

I dare say even on DCC that's a lot cheaper for a siding or two where you park it parked up!

It would be yes, but that defeats the object of DCC…….as I said above it was merely an observation, I won’t be commenting any further on the subject for fear of pitchforks and burning stakes at sundown. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

new video of the APT on the Waterman layout with the lights on. and quite a witty response
https://fb.watch/7d5FCADHs3/

Cant see what was witty about that, it was just an insult. Still, do we care?......

He should be so lucky, lucky, lucky,lucky,

He should be so lucky.....

Ah such poetry!  

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WestRail642fan said:

new video of the APT on the Waterman layout with the lights on. and quite a witty response
https://fb.watch/7d5FCADHs3/

Also struggling with the witty part! Didn’t see much moaning on here having just read back but the irony is the amount of moaning about this forum on the Facebook thread is much more than the moaning on here about the model!

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Also struggling with the witty part! Didn’t see much moaning on here having just read back but the irony is the amount of moaning about this forum on the Facebook thread is much more than the moaning on here about the model!

Ironic that he posts it on book of the face, one of the biggest froth producers known to man!

• Agree 1

On 05/08/2021 at 14:00, E100 said:

Slightly off topic so feel free to split. Very new to DCC - is there such a thing as a cheap slave decoder for the end car purpose that play's nicely with the main decoder and doesn't include all the functionality such as motor control back EMF or is this basically just an accessory decoder?

ESU do Lokpilot and Loksound FX decoders which don't have the driving functionality, but in the case of the Lokpilot FX it's dearer than cheap driving decoders if absolute cost is the priority on decoders. I only use ESU and so if I was getting an APT I'd be considering the FX.

Just to go back to the issue of dcc fitting, i think Hornby are falling a long way behind with dcc provision. Bachmann and even Heljan (according to the spec on the 47 and 86/4) are getting on board with dcc functionality, but needing three 8 pin decoders in one train is a poor effort in my book.  Rapido apte only needed one (and also eliminated daylight between coaches, and various Bachmann multiple unit  sets have electrical connectors between cars, so its not exactly cutting edge stuff.  

Im eagerly awaiting my APT, but Hornby need to raise their game, they cant rely on their name forever.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

Does anyone do figures of reporters throwing up?:D

Just get modelu to scan you mid-hurl.  Prepare for your scan with 12 pints and a large kebab and you should acheive the right look. Best wear some flares though for period authenticity.

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Just to go back to the issue of dcc fitting, i think Hornby are falling a long way behind with dcc provision. Bachmann and even Heljan (according to the spec on the 47 and 86/4) are getting on board with dcc functionality, but needing three 8 pin decoders in one train is a poor effort in my book.  Rapido apte only needed one (and also eliminated daylight between coaches, and various Bachmann multiple unit  sets have electrical connectors between cars, so its not exactly cutting edge stuff.  

Im eagerly awaiting my APT, but Hornby need to raise their game, they cant rely on their name forever.

Very much agreed, when Bachmann units from 2009 have a more sophisticated dcc interface then a new tooled 2021 unit, it is shocking. Hornby could’ve used the VEP coupling? I believe that’s their only conductive coupler (early Brighton belle). Like when compared to the much older Midland and Western Pullman, it is disappointing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

Very much agreed, when Bachmann units from 2009 have a more sophisticated dcc interface then a new tooled 2021 unit, it is shocking. Hornby could’ve used the VEP coupling? I believe that’s their only conductive coupler (early Brighton belle). Like when compared to the much older Midland and Western Pullman, it is disappointing. 

Hornby have put both 4 and 6 pin conductive couplers on some their Electrotren (and probably other Hornby Int'l brands) models, and that was ten years ago.  Pretty much all the Hornby Int'l locos and multiple units now have 21 pin DCC sockets. 

I guess their market research tells them OO modellers don't want these things......

Edited by ellocoloco
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, ellocoloco said:

Hornby have put both 4 and 6 pin conductive couplers on some their Electrotren (and probably other Hornby Int'l brands) models, and that was ten years ago.  Pretty much all the Hornby Int'l locos and multiple units now have 21 pin DCC sockets. 

I guess their market research tells them OO modellers don't want these things......

Or is it Hornby still see the brand as more Train set than scale models? 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

Hornby could’ve used the VEP coupling? I believe that’s their only conductive coupler (early Brighton belle).

On the NDM but not the rest :lol: , the articulated bogies would have been a good opportunity for building in robust power couplings too but I guess the cost balance shot up so they went for a compromise to keep it under control. When people are comparing it to the BP, with a quick Google, it’s actually £100 a BP coach compared to   £76 an APT coach in the 7 car and £50 per coach for the extension packs. That extra £24- £50 per coach goes a long way in extra bits but how many would afford a £1400 full set? They are balancing costs against their research into market and those whose job depends on it have to decide on the risks :) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Roddy Angus said:

Does anyone do figures of reporters throwing up?:D

These were just six some of the very first passengers on the new APT-P. They all reported neausea and the gentleman with his hands up in the air Is still frozen in this very position now, of disbelief as his British Rail coffee spilt all over his milk and dairy products sales figures documents.

r564.jpg

• Funny 4

11 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Rapido apte only needed one (and also eliminated daylight between coaches, and various Bachmann multiple unit  sets have electrical connectors between cars, so its not exactly cutting edge stuff.  

The engineering needed to get the articulated inter-car connectors to work on the Rapido APT-E is pretty mind boggling as, just like an APT-P, they need to withstand both curving and tilting of both cars at the same time. Bill Schneider, Rapido's engineer, ingeniously got round the tilt problem by ensuring both vehicles tilted to almost the same angle at the same time. 

Un-prototypical, but I'm probably the only person who'd actually notice it when 'in service'. :D

• Like 5

Just Cancelled my pre-order for a 7-car set. (Noted incidentally the price on the website is about £60 more expensive than when I placed the  order) - sorry to Hornby but while I can say the APT is a model I've yearned for since 1980, learning that the driving trailers don't have directional lights as standard would mean more expense - if the trailer HST cars can have directional lighting (DC) surely they could have used the same with this model? I know some might see this as whinging (it isn't) (Honest guv!) - while I would be the first to praise Hornby on this model, I can't justify having to add to a £500 odd expense for the use of lighting on the nose! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 hours ago, e30ftw said:

Advert from the model magazines

20210807_124423.jpg

Fantastic thank you wow this is just stunning and it is amazing to see that the headlights are now where they should be on the DTS's. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gordon1970 said:

Just Cancelled my pre-order for a 7-car set. (Noted incidentally the price on the website is about £60 more expensive than when I placed the  order) - sorry to Hornby but while I can say the APT is a model I've yearned for since 1980, learning that the driving trailers don't have directional lights as standard would mean more expense - if the trailer HST cars can have directional lighting (DC) surely they could have used the same with this model? I know some might see this as whinging (it isn't) (Honest guv!) - while I would be the first to praise Hornby on this model, I can't justify having to add to a £500 odd expense for the use of lighting on the nose! 

Umm, who said it doesn’t? 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gordon1970 said:

Time stamp 5.10 

19 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

On the NDM but not the rest :lol: , the articulated bogies would have been a good opportunity for building in robust power couplings too but I guess the cost balance shot up so they went for a compromise to keep it under control. When people are comparing it to the BP, with a quick Google, it’s actually £100 a BP coach compared to   £76 an APT coach in the 7 car and £50 per coach for the extension packs. That extra £24- £50 per coach goes a long way in extra bits but how many would afford a £1400 full set? They are balancing costs against their research into market and those whose job depends on it have to decide on the risks :) 

Bachmann Mk2f coaches with DCC decoders fitted retail around £70, so it can and has been done

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, gordon1970 said:

It does have directional headlights. They are shown on later videos on Facebook just not on the first video as the driving cars were not chipped at that point.