Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

I think some clarification is needed. We know how the lighting performs under DCC, but what about DC? 

Do the nose lights work on DC and are they directional? 

I would be very surprised if this were not to be the case, as after all its a simple diode or two on the blanking plug at each end

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I think some clarification is needed. We know how the lighting performs under DCC, but what about DC? 

Do the nose lights work on DC and are they directional? 

I would be very surprised if this were not to be the case, as after all its a simple diode or two on the blanking plug at each end

The video posted above by Hilux5972 from Hornby shows it running on DC with the headlights visible. It would be very poor of Hornby to not include DC directional lights considering theyve do it on every applicable diesel or electric loco/unit retool recently. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The video posted above by Hilux5972 from Hornby shows it running on DC with the headlights visible. It would be very poor of Hornby to not include DC directional lights considering theyve do it on every applicable diesel or electric loco/unit retool recently. 

Agreed, it just seems that there is a bit of confusion around this subject, so a definitive statement from someone who has a set to hand might settle things. :)

59 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Agreed, it just seems that there is a bit of confusion around this subject, so a definitive statement from someone who has a set to hand might settle things. :)

Oops!! - The perils of posting late at night: I DID initially think the Driving trailer lights didn't work on DC until I paid a bit more attention: It seems I've undone the replacement of the original sentence (Doh!) - anyway the reason for the cancellation was lighting related: I was a bit deflated to see the coach lighting will be always on on DC (I did not really think about this to be perfectly honest, and while manufacturers can't really win with what they do (!), I've taken the lighting out of 7 Hornby Mk 3s and taped over the cablights in the 43s)  - each to their own but from what I can see so far it's just a little too involved (I'd rather not tinker too much with a brand new train pack) (One is forced to use DCC to have some measure of control over the coach lights).

I was aware of the price rises and discussion over preorders potentially being charged a higher amount than when the order was placed, the comment was a bit off-the-cuff :) - to be fair, for what it is I think even £530 ish for the 7 car set is good value compared to £70 odd for one DBSO, £50 for a coach and take your pick for a loco. Talking of the DBSO, which is of course chipped I did suspect the need for a chip to 'bling' the lighting on the driving trailers (Never considering two would be needed) - has anyone worked out a ballpark figure for the cost of three chips for the set?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, letterspider said:

Bachmann Mk2f coaches with DCC decoders fitted retail around £70, so it can and has been done

And that’s comparable to the extension coaches price per vehicle if you added a decoder but the APT coaches are purely restricted to this set so aren’t going to sell in comparable numbers to the mk2’s That’s why the BP is a better comparison for the APT per vehicle. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gordon1970 said:

Oops!! - The perils of posting late at night: I DID initially think the Driving trailer lights didn't work on DC until I paid a bit more attention: It seems I've undone the replacement of the original sentence (Doh!) - anyway the reason for the cancellation was lighting related: I was a bit deflated to see the coach lighting will be always on on DC (I did not really think about this to be perfectly honest, and while manufacturers can't really win with what they do (!), I've taken the lighting out of 7 Hornby Mk 3s and taped over the cablights in the 43s)  - each to their own but from what I can see so far it's just a little too involved (I'd rather not tinker too much with a brand new train pack) (One is forced to use DCC to have some measure of control over the coach lights).

I was aware of the price rises and discussion over preorders potentially being charged a higher amount than when the order was placed, the comment was a bit off-the-cuff :) - to be fair, for what it is I think even £530 ish for the 7 car set is good value compared to £70 odd for one DBSO, £50 for a coach and take your pick for a loco. Talking of the DBSO, which is of course chipped I did suspect the need for a chip to 'bling' the lighting on the driving trailers (Never considering two would be needed) - has anyone worked out a ballpark figure for the cost of three chips for the set?

I have just paid £36 for 3 chips -yes they are the cheap 8pin lais dcc chips from eBay but I have quite a few and they have never caused an issue for me.

Not too concerned about the price of the APT, have two seven cars and one five car on order. Will keep one of each and perhaps sell the second seven car unit after a number of years of it being unused. The only concern I have is the join line when comparing to images of the prototype. Surprised more people have not raised it.

When studying images of the prototype and the model it really detracts in respect of the appearance and in my opinion stops it from being the absolute knockout model it should be.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, cs233 said:

The only concern I have is the join line when comparing to images of the prototype. Surprised more people have not raised it.

It's not a model that could be made without it somewhere due to the shape and releasing them from the moulds. I'd rather have one down the centre of the roof that could be addressed but most of the market wouldn't.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's not a model that could be made without it somewhere due to the shape and releasing them from the moulds. I'd rather have one down the centre of the roof that could be addressed but most of the market wouldn't.

I may add the even Rapido, with their dedication to high spec, had to put a seam on the APT-E, in roughly the same place. I think you also have to put it into perspective, literally, we won't be standing on the lineside when these things go by, we'll be at best four feet away. Will a line less a hair thick be really visible?  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

To be honest trying to get a good join on the roof centre is fairly easy to fettle as you suggest, but with it being a mass produced model the seam carrying on down the nose centre would inevitably mean minor fit problems on its ‘face’ and the nose probably wouldn’t be absolutely flat due to the draw angles on injection moulding like you mention for release. 
It’s one of the drawbacks of modelling machines that are welded and then filled and sanded for a seamless finish. 
I think it’s the best compromise for rtr and it’s only really around the nose side on the driving cars it’s noticeable so if people are worried that much they only need to rework and repaint a small bit there rather than all the coach roofs too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Both train packs R3873 and R3874 along with the NDM and all of the 8 additional coach packs TRBS, TU, TS , TF and the APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle 48204, are now all listed on Hornby as expected in the Autumn. 

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Both train packs R3873 and R3874 along with the NDM and all of the 8 additional coach packs TRBS, TU, TS , TF and the APT-U Ex-TS Development Vehicle 48204, are now all listed on Hornby as expected in the Autumn. 

Hmmm, wonder if Pete waterman reported a fault? 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

now all listed on Hornby as expected in the Autumn. 

1 hour ago, Henners84 said:

Hmmm, wonder if Pete waterman reported a fault? 

or when Dan said they would be here back in June ;) 

On 25/06/2021 at 09:17, Derails Models said:

In the last day or so we enquired about the prospective release dates for these models, we've been told September for all of the variants (5/7 car and coaches).

HTH :-)

Autumn starts on 22nd Sept ;) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

or when Dan said they would be here back in June ;) 

Autumn starts on 22nd Sept ;) 

And Autumn ends on 21st December. :D at least we'll have an APT-P by Christmas hopefully! 

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

Probably down to DJ Models !!!  J94, Class 71,  APTe too.

I should have waited till this year for a Rapido APT-E I bought a new one DCC ready new unused the limited edition one for about £800. I wish I waited now as the second batch is around £400 :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 1