Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

14 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

I should have waited till this year for a Rapido APT-E I bought a new one DCC ready new unused the limited edition one for about £800. I wish I waited now as the second batch is around £400 :wacko:

You were screwed, the first edition ones never were that price new. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Tilt said:

I've Just had a look it was actually £730.  I know although it was still sealed and unopened with its transportation box aswell. :o :yes:

1 hour ago, Mr_Tilt said:

They were on eBay. I think I remember one going for about a grand.

Both APT models I'd love to be able to justify, as I have always been a bit fascinated by them despite the fact they haven't done any work in my lifetime. Too much stuff coming out that's modern day though!

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium

Rails has a sound one on it's eBay site for £900 currently... ...curious as they are a major Rapido supplier and will be stocking the new one which I have on order with them. £500 for impatience?

Tilting the conversation back to the Hornby APT-P. Are there any aftermarket sound options / do we anticipate Hornby doing a TTS chip for it's flagship model?

2 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Sold to you by a profiteer then. :(

I think it depends on what you think a profiteer is. Buying something, using it/intending to use it/for a collection and then selling it for what it is worth in the marketplace is not profiteering.

Buying it with the sole purpose of making money on it is profiteering.

We probably won't ever know what the seller in question was.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, E100 said:

Are there any aftermarket sound options / do we anticipate Hornby doing a TTS chip for it's flagship model?

This question is probably relevant to most stuff no longer in operation, but how do they do sound files for things where there isn't a way of getting a decent recording? Just work off something similar? Could a 91 be used in this case?

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

This question is probably relevant to most stuff no longer in operation, but how do they do sound files for things where there isn't a way of getting a decent recording? Just work off something similar? Could a 91 be used in this case?

It very much depends on the project. It's often a combination but can also involve bespoke synths. I know @Mr_Tilt was involved with the Rapido APT-E sound project

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Dont forget the aptp also had a couple of diesel generators in the driving cars, so youd need sound for these too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr_Tilt said:

Sold to you by a profiteer then. :(

I guess so I really did buy it as I didn't think another production run would be happening for a few more years. But I do get all the paperwork booklet certificate signed by (hello Simon!) :Dpackaging etc as it was a the first production run of a Limited Edition so it' snot all bad . :yes: I'd love to see a behind the scenes video from Hornby about the APT-P. As I really enjoyed the recent one of the 4 wheel and 6 wheel coaches with the designer himself Sam Watkins. A very  fantastic facsinating Insight into how the products get from mind to actual product it is almost like The Engine Shed has brought to life on a YouTube video. Please can we have more of these Hornby? off topic I really enjoy my LNWR and LSWR coaches.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned discussed etc But I have noticed that all of the Hornby SKU' coaches and NDM are all 27.6cm in length including the TBF which the actual size of this one is 21.10 in meters  and the NDM is 20.40m all the other coaches TS, TRBS, TU, and TF are all also 27.6cm however the length of these cars are all 21.00 in meters. As seen here APT-P Vehicle Specifications

I don't want to come across as being picky or moaning or complaining but I do hope this is just the automated length and all of these cars will actually have the correct different lengths. As modelers collectors etc authenticity and accuracy is a must as I'm sure we will all agree there.  As I know Simon Kohler explained that the LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2007 ˜Prince of Wales ™ - Era 11 measurements are correct and it is slightly different to toolings in height for the LNER, P2 Class, 2-8-2, 2002 ˜Earl Marischal ™ - Era 3.

On 11/08/2021 at 10:23, E100 said:

It very much depends on the project. It's often a combination but can also involve bespoke synths. I know @Mr_Tilt was involved with the Rapido APT-E sound project

And a heck of a lot more on the Rapido E-Train as well! :D

Legomanbiffo's sound files for the E-Train cam from various sources, some from the P-Train at Crewe as both used the same hydraulic pump for the tilt system and the diesel APUs were the same too. In fact the first two P-Train APUs were the same two units that we had aboard PC1 & 2 on E-Train, and were stripped out once we delivered E-Train to the NRM.

Much of the P-Train at Crewe still works so many of the sounds are available, and using a 91 for the traction sounds would be pretty close as a 91 and a P-Train used the same motor and a very similar gearbox.

The turbine sounds for E-Train were unobtainable as the only one still running is in a truck and that sound track is nothing like a train track. We found a startup track from an SNCF RTG unit starting its Turbomeca Turmo engines, and that was pretty darn close. Legomanbiffo then blended it in with other turbine sounds to produce a pretty authentic sounding E-Train track.

It's not simple, but these things can be done with the skills he has. :good:

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

is this going to be a regular catalogue model or once the initial models have sold thats ya lot ?  id like one a 7 car set but cant afford the £530 right now.  

It’s not even in the 2021 catalogue even though it hasn’t been released to who knows. 

It could appear in the 2022 catalogue as listed as available that is assuming it is released before or by Christmas.  

in the 2021 catalogue for example the Centenary Peckett as is listed as available as are a lot of the 2020 range that was released in 2020 without listing which ones they are these are listed in the 2021 catalogue as also available .    

It could be that the APT-P was only intended for the 2020 year range as it was Hornby's centenary, the 40th Anniversary of the original Hornby model and the 40th Anniversary it entered service. I could be wrong though!

If there is more demand it is likely another batch of both sets and coach packs could be produced, then again you may well just ask would Hornby really spend multi thousands on new tooling for a new train pack for just one production run and that's it? 

I guess anything is possible with Hornby as long is there is enough demand etc then this may well indeed not be last APT-P train pack and coaches etc produced in future years to come. 

The best and worst case scenario the APT-Ps any sets could be issued / reissued before or after the next 10 years possibly if there is more demand for APT-Ps , Again I could be completely wrong on all this and everything else well.