Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

Seems like it! Although, i dont really mind as the tint on the windows hide it somewhat

Hmm, until the lights are powered up.... I don't suppose you fancy testing them for the pbaying crowd ;)

Still waiting for TMC to confirm they have stock...

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

why does it need the capacitor if its drawing power from the track? like, the lights didn't even stay on when putting the controller to 0

Just stops the lights flickering if there’s a loss of contact, effectively a short term backup battery, leave them on for a minute or two to charge it up and they’ll probably stay on a few seconds. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

True enough, but frustrating on such a newly designed model.

Roy

I agree, hence “bit daft”, but certainly not enough to stop me buying something I’ve wanted a decent model of for 30+ years. 
Arriving three months before the 7 car set is daft too but hey ho that’s Hornby recently on distribution and tiers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I agree, hence “bit daft”, but certainly not enough to stop me buying something I’ve wanted a decent model of for 30+ years. 
Arriving three months before the 7 car set is daft too but hey ho that’s Hornby recently on distribution and tiers. 

Not stopping me either, although I am only sticking with this as I had pre-prders with shops for it. After Hornby introduced their tier system I said other than such pre-orders, no more Hornby, and this is my final Hornby pre-order, with Kernow. 

A good model to end with.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Thanks for doing that.

I don't know what to say really - 'meh' will have to do.

How about….”damn that’s sloppy design engineering” ? :D

Seriously though, in a lit coach that cap is unforgivable really.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Maybe one of the passengers bought a really really big water butt and it didn't fit in the luggage rack ...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I absolutely agree but In the current climate I will take the items as they arrive, they probably have to take the shipping when they can get it, better the products in peoples homes and money in the bank than have stock hanging about. Hornby can have the money now to invest in further new tooling to keep me happy (hopefully).

I phoned Hornby on Friday to check some details as I have had a change of address and asked if the APT had been popular- while I suspected I knew the answer- the answer was an unequivocal yes!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Actually I think sloppy is being kind, I guess we’ll all be taking a look at tweaking when ours arrive

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

And here are the lights in action (the e300 trailer and tractor are just there to help the thing set up straight)

20211016_175343.jpg.c12939aa6fae287e2a6163c0920fff58.jpg20211016_175404.jpg.bfb98174b697d8488532851e79f660b9.jpg20211016_175507.jpg.abdf40e747b009bdf625232b6db9d696.jpg20211016_175520.jpg.c0fffb9626ca0dd0e8544aef4e309ec6.jpg

Now I dont design model trains, but what kind of moron would have thought "Now where can I put a dirty great big capacitor for the lights. No ... not in the toilet space or between the bogies in the underframe, lets put it right by a clear window and visible from the outside.".

Whoever did should immediately step away from the CAD designs because they're clearly too stupid to create them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Now I dont design model trains, but what kind of moron would have thought "Now where can I put a dirty great big capacitor for the lights. No ... not in the toilet space or between the bogies in the underframe, lets put it right by a clear window and visible from the outside.".

Whoever did should immediately step away from the CAD designs because they're clearly too stupid to create them.

Oh first look at these actual photos it's wow stunning the correct interior colours everything matches looks authentic! But then you see the photos at the end. The capacitor does rather stick out,from our obersvation of the coach as it isn't really unnoticable is it! I expect we'll just have to wait and see what it'll look like properly on a layout or on display. But right next to the window. Hmm it is noticeable you would think perhaps it could have been put just behind the automatic doors or in the toilet or underframe, bogies etc. Who knows the reasons why it was placed here. Perhaps it would have ment more money spent on modifications for the tooling resulting in increasing the price or whatever. I guess we'll all have to judge for ourselves when they actually arrive but that is rather disappointing on first inspection but other than that they look fantastic. 

6 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

So, they've arrived.20211016_164308.jpg.f08a6440b8d5995ba2f312e2b40e4445.jpg20211016_164447.jpg.ec1a9a2c75b3a29ee56e5afb2dc20210.jpg20211016_164537.jpg.3a101767f93557a9ce8bb1935e02f419.jpg

I've only opened the TS box for now, but, i'll open the others if you guys want ^_^

The instructions that came with the TS are the same as what Bigeddie posted

Wow I love the packaging and the box artwork design! Thanks for this! 

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, WestRail642fan said:

TRBS Capacitor 
20211017_000107.jpg.903ea364a8e4a8b34976972b3adf2072.jpg

Maybe we could put a vinyl wrap of the capacitor on a dustbin and place it on the Hornby stand at Warley next year to see if they notice  . . . 
:laugh:

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

It would appear to be distinctly absent from the box artwork...

To me this is primarily down to the fact they have not designed electrical connection between the coaches as per the rapido APT-E. It would have eliminated the need for capacitors all together if the set were all wheel pickup. 

Any thoughts on changing the capacitor for a smaller one?

• Like 1