Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

I see the NDM comes with the standard panto. (Oh no it doesn’t)….. (Oh yes it does). And you’ll be surprised to learn “an alternative pantograph is not included with the APT, the part number for the High Speed pantograph is X7769, we are currently out of stock of this part and awaiting delivery from our supplier “

hope the supplier focuses on supplying the 7 car set first!

• Like 3

Weird process from Hornby shop, no shipping confirmation by email, found it on the order in my account. Shipping updates have sat ominously with a status of "Order placed" on Hermes site since 17/10, no further movement which probably means they have lost it!

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Anybody managed to separate the body and chassis on any of these? I have been looking at the instructions for removing the NDM body and there are six clips between body and chassis. I don't see any obvious way in which to insert anything into the gap to ease them apart.

Roy

There is an exploded diagram of the dvt in hss 456 on the Hornby website ( look at documents associated with the sets or ndm)

Edited by Bigeddie
Correction

9 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

Weird process from Hornby shop, no shipping confirmation by email, found it on the order in my account. Shipping updates have sat ominously with a status of "Order placed" on Hermes site since 17/10, no further movement which probably means they have lost it!

Have you tried downloading hermes app and checking , i found a bit more info there for mine

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

Mine was notified on the 13th and turned up on 18th so I’d go to the Hermes website or app and put in the details as it’s probably about to be delivered. I got no emails about it, just updates by putting the tracking into the app. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Eagerly awaiting receipt of my order from TMC (understand they will receive in stock next week) 

Can anyone who has received there's so far comment on closeness of coupling and whether there is option to play around with coupling distances? 

Thanks 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Eagerly awaiting receipt of my order from TMC (understand they will receive in stock next week) 

Can anyone who has received there's so far comment on closeness of coupling and whether there is option to play around with coupling distances? 

Thanks 

See the previous page

On 18/10/2021 at 12:50, lyneux said:

First pair of coaches arrived today. They look very nice indeed. I’m not too worried about the capacitors… an easily solvable problem using the ‘m’ word and much easier to correct than a shape problem (if it bothers you).

I couldn’t wait to place them on track so here they are on one of Whatley’s fiddle yard boards. I couldn’t think of a more fitting way to support them than by using vehicles from the original 1980s set. They are just sitting in place on the shared bogies in the photos.

Still a big surprise to me that Hornby released the coaches before the sets. Hopefully not too long to wait now though…

Guy

77EC95E5-C598-4344-AE4C-80356745AC6A.jpeg

7377A79D-9C9B-4D28-987D-2DB0092C2092.jpeg

12 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

See the previous page

Isn't this a picture of a current coach coupling with an older Hornby release? On the second pic with four coaches I can't quite zoom in close enough to tell

Edited by MoonM
Typo

37 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

Have you tried downloading hermes app and checking , i found a bit more info there for mine

Cheers, this is using Hermes tracking which states (equally ominously) "We're expecting it". So either Hornby haven't actually shipped it or it is rattling around a van somewhere unscanned! All good fun.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Isn't this a pick of a current coach coupling with an older Hornby release? On the second pic with four coaches I can't quite zoom in close enough to tell

Yes the closeup is but it’s similar on the two new coaches. The pin is fixed to the bogie so to alter the distance you’d need to cut off the pin and re-secure it and then the coaches would be unequal distances unless you moved both. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MoonM said:

Isn't this a pick of a current coach coupling with an older Hornby release? On the second pic with four coaches I can't quite zoom in close enough to tell

Mine went we’ve got it on Sunday and then delivered on Monday ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks. Must admit I would have expected them to be closer given recent coupling tech advances generally across our hobby. I suppose though this is a unique system to the apt. Will have to investigate how much improvement I can potentially make when I get my delivery (fingers crossed) next week

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

There is an exploded diagram of the dvt in hss 456 on the Hornby website ( look at documents associated with the coaches)

Going off this we can at-least assume a 5 pole with what appears to be twin flywheel and all wheel drive so provided there's some weight to it then it could be good for pulling / pushing the whole 14 car train. That being said there doesn't appear to be obvious large die-cast piece but there would be plenty of room for weight inside.

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Bigeddie said:

There is an exploded diagram of the dvt in hss 456 on the Hornby website ( look at documents associated with the sets or ndm)

I have looked at that and this is what gives me the worry. There is no discernible gap between the body and chassis by which to release the six clips shown in the diagram. Unlike many coaches / locos where you can work from below the chassis, the join is part way up the bodyside.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typos

I received my coach packs on Monday, and I'm generally happy with them as the paint job seems a lot better than recent releases, but a couple of things I've noticed that it would be interesting to see if others have:

Light bleed along the mid body join (especially in the TRBS) - noticeable in anything other than a bright room (dark picture used just to show more clearly as camera doesn't pick it up as well)

IMG_20211020_121720.jpg.85a555519446e705bdeff1b9b2663aaf.jpg

IMG_20211018_224619.jpg.94ef5ab7043d1f39e044715835768386.jpg

And also, the ride height seems to vary a bit between some of the coaches:

IMG_20211020_121833.jpg.0fda5a6544c127f502935f65b5dc54ba.jpg

Do anyones elses seem to have these issues? I might have to get another TRBS

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have looked at that and this is what gives me the worry. There is no discernible gap between the body and chassis by which to release the six clips shown in the diagram. Unlike many coaches / locos where you can work from below the chassis, the join is part way up the bodyside.

Roy

I have asked Hornby why the thing is there and for some helpful guidance on opening up the coaches, so far they have clarified why the capacitor is there …, I have spoken with the development team on this, they have informed me that due to the tilting although not ideal they no other choice on the fitting of the capacitor.…

we shall see

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2021 at 04:19, WestRail642fan said:

Something to note regarding the ball joint on the bogie, when coupling the coaches, there is no 'click' when doing so, meaning the whole train is held together by gravity alone. That kind of worries me since my layout plan includes a gradient and i fear the coaches my decouple due to it

It would have to be some gradient for them to come adrift - and if the slope is really that steep I would be more worried about traction than anything.

Also there has been much complaining on here about 'difficult' couplings within multiple units particularly as not everyone is blessed with the ability to keep stock on layouts for extended periods.

So given the APT is designed such that a prototypically long rake can be made up, easy separation of individual cars without the need to apply force is a good idea.

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

It would have to be some gradient for them to come adrift - and if the slope is really that steep I would be more worried about traction than anything.

Also there has been much complaining on here about 'difficult' couplings within multiple units particularly as not everyone is blessed with the ability to keep stock on layouts for extended periods.

So given the APT is designed such that a prototypically long rake can be made up, easy separation of individual cars without the need to apply force is a good idea.

Agreed! I’ve yet to run them, so I’m guessing but, the pivot poles are deep, so cant see how they could uncouple. Much prefer individual coach power than a line bus. Couplings on VEP/CEP/TC etc are all very fiddely and fragile. So the APT solution is way more robust and easy to reform/split. 

1 hour ago, adamvb said:

I received my coach packs on Monday, and I'm generally happy with them as the paint job seems a lot better than recent releases, but a couple of things I've noticed that it would be interesting to see if others have:

Light bleed along the mid body join (especially in the TRBS) - noticeable in anything other than a bright room (dark picture used just to show more clearly as camera doesn't pick it up as well)

IMG_20211020_121720.jpg.85a555519446e705bdeff1b9b2663aaf.jpg

IMG_20211018_224619.jpg.94ef5ab7043d1f39e044715835768386.jpg

That does look odd (almost like the coach on the right is not seated properly). Just 30 mins ago got an email from TMC asking me to pay my balance so hopefully not long to wait now. I'll report back if I have similar height 'issues'. And thanks for the incidental close up coupling oic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Seems rather ironic given all the complaints about the MASSIVE gap down the bodyside on the EP samples.......

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, rubber duck said:

Seems rather ironic given all the complaints about the MASSIVE gap down the bodyside on the EP samples.......

Indeed. However, I am concerned that Hornby may have designed something that basically cannot be taken apart without damage - hence seeking advice from others.

Too often bodyshell designs make use of screws and clips where the latter would have been sufficient. Bachmann 47s are a case in point - the body to cab door window glazing clips are often a pain the proverbial, they  are not needed and get removed on mine when I get the bodies off.

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adamvb said:

Is the coach on the right not tipped slightly? Is the bogie at the other end straight?
Roy

On 18/10/2021 at 16:24, WestRail642fan said:

im really tempted to buy the NDM and use it for parts for the dummy NDM that comes with the 7 coach pack

I have just asked Hornby technical if it would be possible to buy the motor and bogies to convert the unpowered unit. I was told that would be uneccessay as both NDM's in the 7 car set are already powered! I'll wait and see. They will need four decoders though!

• Informative/Useful 3

19 minutes ago, Hymek17 said:

I have just asked Hornby technical if it would be possible to buy the motor and bogies to convert the unpowered unit. I was told that would be uneccessay as both NDM's in the 7 car set are already powered! I'll wait and see. They will need four decoders though!

Better put that spare NDM on eBay now then @Roy Langridge?

Guy

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Hymek17 said:

Call me skeptical till I have it in my hands but that would I guess be simpler to just produce 1 type vs producing 2 types. Also would make the 7 car particularly good value over the 5 car if so.

It would however be different to what has already been announced - https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/hornbys-all-new-oo-apt-focus

Edited by E100
  • Agree 2