Hornby APT (2020 tooling)

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Except it wasnt, was it? 
I didnt say it was the worst model created.

For the price however, im dissapointed with it. It should be top tier stuff for that money, yet it isnt.

Well you did call it junk, are there levels below that? :lol: All we see is the headline in the quote. 

DDDD5804-6199-4F29-8D27-F79B02CA233F.jpeg.29f04464e079448e1703b0fc2c51f7a4.jpeg

It was your useful shot that revealed where the clips are to get in though so thank you for those pictures as they are very useful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well you did call it junk, are there levels below that? :lol: All we see is the headline in the quote.

Words can be harsh and not always interpreted as intended. I was panned for saying the Bachmann 90 was boring. To me it is, a boring  model of a boring prototype. I never said it was a bad model, in fact quite the opposite. 

I think small deficiencies in the APT have frustrated many of us. I am still looking forward to have my full 14 car set and fixing those issues. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

To me it is, a boring  model of a boring prototype

And I actually think in terms of the shape, the APT must be about top of the list in boring shapes. The class 90 is an interesting shape in comparison IMO.

I do think it does make it difficult to make a model of though in this respect as every minor detail is picked on as they are so easy to pick out. A steam loco with pipes galore looks detailed even if the detail isn't right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Except it wasnt, was it? 
I didnt say it was the worst model created.

For the price however, im dissapointed with it. It should be top tier stuff for that money, yet it isnt.

Well send it back then, no one is forcing you to keep it

28 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

Well send it back then, no one is forcing you to keep it

And no-one can insist that @Erixtar1992 has to share the same opinion as others - it's one opinion, others may disagree, but it's still an opinion.

From what I have seen and I am not in the market for one, there are capacitors visible in the carriages, makes it look like a last minute change rather than something planned as people would not expect it on a premium model.  Then there is the light bleed that some people are seeing, and Hornby have recent history here with the DVT, it shouldn't happen, wouldn't have been an issue if lighting had not been fitted but fitted as an afterthought rather than in the original design.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

And no-one can insist that @Erixtar1992 has to share the same opinion as others - it's one opinion, others may disagree, but it's still an opinion.

Indeed he doesn't, the same he doesn't need to take to twitter to tell everyone that he's spent x-amount on overpriced junk.

Too many people just want to moan about the latest models, justified or not.

For the record Im not in the market for one, but if I was, I'd pay what is being asked and fix the problems myself

2 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

Indeed he doesn't, the same he doesn't need to take to twitter to tell everyone that he's spent x-amount on overpriced junk.

For the record Im not in the market for one, but if I was, I'd pay what is being asked and fix the problems myself

Why can't he post on Twitter?  It's an opinion, I am sure others disagree with the opinion, but it is his right to have an opinion and post about it.  If I was buying one I'd be a bit miffed about the capacitor being in a window.  If Bachmann turned out the 47 now and said only one cab is detailed because they wanted to put a speaker in the other end, we'd be up in arms I am sure.  (Woodenhead is currently considering this on a Farish 37 by the way..)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

I do find it quite a giggle that people like yourself get so butthurt about my opinion, which im more than free to post on my own twitter account.

Also, i didnt say id bought it either did i.

After seeing it in person i decided otherwise, and after posting the photos of it, it seems so have a few others! Not that i need to really explain myself to a stranger on the internet 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Erixtar1992 said:

I do find it quite a giggle that people like yourself get so butthurt about my opinion, which im more than free to post on my own twitter account.

After seeing it in person i decided otherwise, and after posting the photos of it, it seems so have a few others! Not that i need to really explain myself to a stranger on the internet 

time for me to leave this forum, too many people getting stress over toys

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Thinking about it, this train would have been absolutely ideal for having an interconnecting wire all the way through from each DT given the shared bogies. If each bogie has a 2 pin plug on it to tie the other carriage into it then all the pickups could be working together. It probably wouldn't cost more than a few pence a coach to implement since the wiring and pickups are already there, it is just 2 plugs and a bit of wire. 

They even have that in the 142 coupling, which itself was an upgraded version of the original APT coupling.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They even have that in the 142 coupling, which itself was an upgraded version of the original APT coupling.

My original 14 car set built from old sets uses the Pacer coupling between the two power cars to improve pick up.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I think you're overthinking this, no need to feel you have to leave the forum

He has history for not liking people having an opinion. He had a good rant about adults liking McDonald’s once when it was pointed out you can ask not to have sauce etc.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Oh Eric, you and your upsetting the internet japes!

56 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

pictures posted in this thread way before Eric’s tweet highlighted the capacitor issue and light bleed and others took to RMWeb to tell everyone, why is that no different to Twitter?

agreed though it does seem like some people find joy in finding the slightest issue with the latest models, ok some models do have problems that need addressing but it’s when it gets down to the ‘it never carried that particular livery with those axle boxes’ argument for not buying a loco it gets silly! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

I’m still waiting for a nice illustrated post on how to open up the coaches without damaging them.  Too timid to be the first to try.

Cheers

Darius

Take the 4 screws out,   Then there are also clips along the bodysides.

they require the body to be pulled away quite a bit before they release though. 

C711CFA9-6737-4EA6-96EF-570A3715BBCC.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

When I filmed the APT-P at Chester Cathedral, the second coaches lights flashed, and went out as it came past, then flashed on and off, and this can be seen in my video on YouTube…

As one of the operators at MK,  that was due to the sheer amount of dirt on wheels following its 3 months of consistent running at Chester and a slight variation in opinion on the need to clean wheels...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Take the 4 screws out,   Then there are also clips along the bodysides.

they require the body to be pulled away quite a bit before they release though. 

C711CFA9-6737-4EA6-96EF-570A3715BBCC.jpeg

To me the obvious place would be to remove one of the toilet screw mounts and leave it with just 3. With the clips I'd assume it'd be ok. I'm honestly not sure I can be bothered. It looks good from the outside with the exception of the pantograph that I would happily paint myself.

The open corridor ends creates a nice simple opportunity to wire the train throughout if desired.

• RMweb Premium
On 22/10/2021 at 13:59, Wolf27 said:

Yours must be faulty then. If you believe what some people are saying it’s the worst model ever created. However, they are wrong.

You work for Hornby and I claim my £10. Hi Shane

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8